• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Whistle blowing in Singapore -- How?

serenditpity

Alfrescian
Loyal
My friend has intimate knowledge about some procedural impropriety and some misappropriation of funds meant for research at one of the biotech labs in Singapore. The amount runs close to $10M.

He is convinced that there's a prima facie case and wants to blow the whistle by sending emails to the Minister, the PM, the overseas agency which has co-funded the research ans so on.

What's the best way to blow the whistle and get the authorities to investigate without compromising his identity?

kensington

Alfrescian
Loyal
I already said that he plans to send emails. How does one do without his IP address getting traced?

Send the details to me. I will post them on behalf of the whistleblower.

My IP address is well known to those pigs anyway.:p

PM me with instruction and as Ah Guan suggested, let the whole world know.

jim007jimmyboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Send the details to me. I will post them on behalf of the whistleblower.

My IP address is well known to those pigs anyway.:p

PM me with instruction and as Ah Guan suggested, let the whole world know.

our hero!!!

Why dont help us over throw the fucking corrupted pigs in the house?

If there is a leader i am sure we will follow!!!

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
You blow whistle at girls in Singapore will face harassment charges. The girls over the causeway are more friendly.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unfortunately there are no specific provisions, procedures or protection for whistle blowers. Would suggest the following if he does not want to identified.

Send the allegations to the following people who have the least likely conflict of interest
1) Attorney General
2) Accountant General
3) Speaker of Parliament

All marked "personal and confidential" and he needs to put all 3 addresses in the same correspondence. He clearly must state that he wants to remain anonymous and does not want to be identified or involved in the investigation. The actual content can be in an appendix.

Tell him not to waste time sending to MP, Ministers, PM etc. Their inbox jammed with ridiculous complaints, allegations from HDB bin contractors taking bribes, policeman sleeping.

Accountant General is duty bound to investigate if state funds and if a prima facie case appears, AG will get the relevant authorities involved.

As to anonymity, this is pretty tricky. IP address can be traced unless he goes to an internet cafe or where no ID is required. Suggest mailing it in the first instance without leving his pawprints. Generally the authorities will not pursue the identity of the complainant who wishes to remain anonymous unless the following occurs
1) allegations are false
2) they end up at a roadblock during investigations and need to complainant's help to make progress
3) the complainant is essential as a witness in court to secure a conviction
4) they suspect the complainant is involved.

Your friend may only need to release key data/events for investigators to get a foothold.

Note: Researchers are notorious for mismanaging research funds especially when it involves travel and accommodation expenses and authorities tend to be lenient with them. $10M however is a different story.

My friend has intimate knowledge about some procedural impropriety and some misappropriation of funds meant for research at one of the biotech labs in Singapore. The amount runs close to $10M.

He is convinced that there's a prima facie case and wants to blow the whistle by sending emails to the Minister, the PM, the overseas agency which has co-funded the research ans so on.

What's the best way to blow the whistle and get the authorities to investigate without compromising his identity?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, generally not recommended in the first instance. If they classify it as national interest they will pursue the chap relentlessly and you know how they they classify things under ISA. For all you know, its a straight forward case.

Send emails to ministers and post them on the world wide web

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

First he must enlist in PRC Taikonaut academy, book on the next trip to the moon, and from there send email to the minister in charge in SINgapore...but beware of being left behind on the dark side of the moon...and spend enternity with 'Chang Er & her Cowherd'...who knows a threesome?:p

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Actually this case really makes me wonder! :wink:

In Hong Kong, you could just walk into any ICAC branches in any districts and just lodge the complaints. If you want to, just mail it anonymously to ICAC HQ and they will investigate.

In Singapore, you just wonder whether you will step on anybody's toes, or any conflict of interests or even worse, regard you as "security threats"!

It is a matter of separation of powers and independence of statutory boards in investigating frauds and such. Our CPIB is basically "secret service" under PMO. They don't open offices around the island to take complaints. They don't go on education program to teach the masses on what is regarded as "bribery and corruptions". They are just there for the sake of just in case they are needed.

There are no laws in Singapore that protect whistle blowers and all connections of power are complex. You won't know who's whose foot you are stepping on since it seems that in Singapore, "talents" seems to congregate to just that few families! Thus, most probably people will just mind their own business and stop getting into trouble by being "busy body whistle blowers".

Goh Meng Seng

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
It not only CPIB, its the lack of laws to protect whistleblowers which tells alot about this government. Ifthey are truly squeakly clean, they would be the first to provide such laws.

I nearly died laughing when CPIB claimed that they got the biggest bookie in Singapore who was an Indian over soccer bribery. Can you imagine the emotional turmoil that the Singapore Bookies Association (if there is such an organisation) underwent.

Actually this case really makes me wonder! :wink:

In Hong Kong, you could just walk into any ICAC branches in any districts and just lodge the complaints. If you want to, just mail it anonymously to ICAC HQ and they will investigate.

In Singapore, you just wonder whether you will step on anybody's toes, or any conflict of interests or even worse, regard you as "security threats"!

It is a matter of separation of powers and independence of statutory boards in investigating frauds and such. Our CPIB is basically "secret service" under PMO. They don't open offices around the island to take complaints. They don't go on education program to teach the masses on what is regarded as "bribery and corruptions". They are just there for the sake of just in case they are needed.

There are no laws in Singapore that protect whistle blowers and all connections of power are complex. You won't know who's whose foot you are stepping on since it seems that in Singapore, "talents" seems to congregate to just that few families! Thus, most probably people will just mind their own business and stop getting into trouble by being "busy body whistle blowers".

Goh Meng Seng

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, generally not recommended in the first instance. If they classify it as national interest they will pursue the chap relentlessly and you know how they they classify things under ISA. For all you know, its a straight forward case.

I still think the public must be informed

Experience has shown that they will only act when you hit them where it hurts --- in the face

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just protecting the whistle blower. If he does not see results, then he may wish to go public.

I still think the public must be informed

Experience has shown that they will only act when you hit them where it hurts --- in the face

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Please blow. I want newspaper front page story. Straits Times a bit boring nowadays. I see headlines, I don't want buy.

scoobyhoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
First he must enlist in PRC Taikonaut academy, book on the next trip to the moon, and from there send email to the minister in charge in SINgapore...but beware of being left behind on the dark side of the moon...and spend enternity with 'Chang Er & her Cowherd'...who knows a threesome?:p

good advice to the bro, at least can make love to a woman more than thousand years old, while beware not to be analed by wu gang. brilliant idea! and guiness record maker!

i want to up you again but the system not allow.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
good advice to the bro, at least can make love to a woman more than thousand years old, while beware not to be analed by wu gang. brilliant idea! and guiness record maker!

i want to up you again but the system not allow.

NVM, thanks!...:wink:

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
aiya,,, see whether can blackmail some money 1st,,,, if can get a couple of millions, go overseas, take the $$, then give it to reuters/ap/cnn for more money,,,,,

if not pass it to CSJ, this guy never dies one or any opposition, give them the bargaining chip, maybe PAP will concede a GRC for that piece of info,,,,

DIVISION1

Alfrescian
Loyal
We have one of the least corrupt government in the world. Please be sure before making such claims. It could hurt people unnecessarily.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We have one of the least corrupt government in the world. Please be sure before making such claims. It could hurt people unnecessarily.

That I have to agree, but have you ever dealt with termintes ( white ants) before?

The wood facade looks so sturdy & beautiful from the outside, but the inside is all eaten by WHITE ants.

:biggrin: