• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Where can I find Satay Celup in Singapore?

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Satay Celup, or Satay Hum - is this available in Sg or do I have to drive all the way to Malacca?

When I was a kid, my dad would sometimes take relatives to Koek Road for this. Sometime later, could still get at Geylang Lor 1. Now don't know where. Anyone knows?

Cheers!

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Satay Celup, or Satay Hum - is this available in Sg or do I have to drive all the way to Malacca?

When I was a kid, my dad would sometimes take relatives to Koek Road for this. Sometime later, could still get at Geylang Lor 1. Now don't know where. Anyone knows?

Cheers!

I remember the koek Rd days, was it where they had a hot pot in the middle of the table:confused:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I remember the koek Rd days, was it where they had a hot pot in the middle of the table:confused:

Yes, hot boiling stock in the middle. We'd go there in two families, adults sat at one table and kids at the other. There were quite a number of dishes on stick skewers although the cockles were the mainstay.

Could it be that after the shellfish hepatitis scare that this became unpopular?

Cheers!

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, hot boiling stock in the middle. We'd go there in two families, adults sat at one table and kids at the other. There were quite a number of dishes on stick skewers although the cockles were the mainstay.

Could it be that after the shellfish hepatitis scare that this became unpopular?

Cheers!

I remember seeing the restaurant but never ate there.
Was intrigued & curious about this kind of satay, but no one I knew was ever interested in trying it.:(

Would usually be at the stalls opposite the street where they had wanton/chinese style satay & soya bean drinks:smile:
This was when wanton mee was only 50 cents, satay at 10 cents/stick & 10 cents/glass soya drinks :eek:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Back in those days I don't think people knew about hepatitis. It's more likely this kind of foods are not profitable to survive the high rental environment. It need a minimum number of heads per tables to be profitable. Nowadays who has the luxury of time to enjoy their food if they are going for their lunch breaks:(

tenggiri

Alfrescian
Loyal
This thing is also called 'Lok Lok' right? I saw a big banner for this makan somewhere while driving in town but can't remember exactly where liao. No flames pls, i was too hectic......

prinzy

Alfrescian
Loyal
I last remembered that there is one restaurant selling such food on the right hand side of Geylang Road after Gulliemard Road. Dont know whether it is still operating becoz long time never went there.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Koek Road had a number of good makan stalls. Hong Kee beef noodles is one. Now located at Telok Ayer Food Centre. Used to makan at Koek Rd in the 70s. Still makaning at Telok Ayer. Last makaned there the previous week.

Hahahaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Old Airport road Hawker ctr still have. Never try before so cannot comment. Its at a very corner of the ctr, can see the stall if you enter from cassia link.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This thing is also called 'Lok Lok' right? I saw a big banner for this makan somewhere while driving in town but can't remember exactly where liao. No flames pls, i was too hectic......

Technically both are different.

Satay Celup is usually cooking raw food and satay gravy sauce.
While lok lok is mostly cooked ingredients eaten with a few types of sauces.

Satay Celup is more eaten in a restaurant while lok lok is a mobile roadside stall.

Force 136

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
satay_celup_2.jpg

Damn dirty this Celup thingy..... you eat the saliva of the people who used the sauce before you did.... together with germs, TB bacteria, HIV viruses...

And the damn hawkers never change the sauce the whole night, serving many different families, all dipping into everybody's mouth jucies............ pui.....

Only Malacca people with their messed up in-bred brains can enjoy this filthy rubbish....

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Koek Road had a number of good makan stalls. Hong Kee beef noodles is one. Now located at Telok Ayer Food Centre. Used to makan at Koek Rd in the 70s. Still makaning at Telok Ayer. Last makaned there the previous week.

Memories of Telok Ayer Street, where once it had the best, (1) Wanton Noodle Shop, (2) Lor Mee, the shop sells the Hock Chew Fish balls etc, (3) Char Kway Teow, (4) The Zhi Car Stall at one of the old coffee shop by two elderly Hainanese women, (5) Teow Chew Muai...and the Hokkein Resturant tuck away at the Temple...called "tin Heong" aka Heavenly fragrance.

Last edited:

Kid278

Alfrescian
Loyal
satay_celup_2.jpg

Damn dirty this Celup thingy..... you eat the saliva of the people who used the sauce before you did.... together with germs, TB bacteria, HIV viruses...

And the damn hawkers never change the sauce the whole night, serving many different families, all dipping into everybody's mouth jucies............ pui.....

Only Malacca people with their messed up in-bred brains can enjoy this filthy rubbish....

I've never seen such food before, never had the chance at least locally. From the looks of it, it will scare the shit out of people with mysophobia.:p

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
satay_celup_2.jpg

That's the stuff I always came across in Malacca coffeeshops when visiting relatives and friends there. That's the stuff I always avoid. Chinese new year yusheng is bad enough and I don't know how people 5,000 years after the advent of civilization can invent such unhygienic way of eating. Look at that mess! My dog eats tidier and more hygienic than that.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Back in those days I don't think people knew about hepatitis. It's more likely this kind of foods are not profitable to survive the high rental environment. It need a minimum number of heads per tables to be profitable. Nowadays who has the luxury of time to enjoy their food if they are going for their lunch breaks:(

My whole family on my mother's side really got scare when an aunt contracted hep from eating cockles. It was cheap and tasty and easy to cook - just pour boiling water. Habits have changed since.

Likely what you say is true - can't mark up price high and afford the rent. Those with the buck to throw on dinner will prefer to treat friends and relatives to crabs.

Cheers!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I last remembered that there is one restaurant selling such food on the right hand side of Geylang Road after Gulliemard Road. Dont know whether it is still operating becoz long time never went there.

I believe that was Geylang Lor 1, was able to see it from the road. It's no more.

Cheers!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Force 136;829342 Damn dirty this Celup thingy..... you eat the saliva of the people who used the sauce before you did.... together with germs said:
Messy - yes.

Dirty? Not if you compare with guys spitting out fish bones from their mouths onto the dining table after sucking the succulent stuff from the lips and head bones of the fish. Some of my uncles still do this without any thought of table manners.

Cheers!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's the stuff I always came across in Malacca coffeeshops when visiting relatives and friends there. That's the stuff I always avoid. Chinese new year yusheng is bad enough and I don't know how people 5,000 years after the advent of civilization can invent such unhygienic way of eating. Look at that mess! My dog eats tidier and more hygienic than that.

That's communal dining for ya!

Aiyah, 5,000 yrs ago and now, some of us have become conscious of germs and bacteria and separate stuff into individual bowls with a serving spoon, use individual dipping saucers, etc.

Yu Sheng is a step backward, everyone chanting wise words, spitum onto raw fish, mixed, and makan.

Cheers!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Makan, makaning, makaned.

You have just contributed to the ever evolving Singlish vocab.

Cheers!

Last edited: