• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What tool box to get ? Black & Decker or Bosch ?

Onitsuka

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm sick of the attitude of the handyman. Some of them very sialan.

I think I must retrieve the skills that I learned fortnightly from technical skills attachments at Swiss Cottage when I was Sec 3 and Sec 4 - metal and wood.

Okay, there are so many toolboxes available in the market. For one that can drill holes in the wall, what should I get ? Is 3.6V type enough ?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
During my time mandatory workshop was only for those in sec 1 & 2. It also included technical drawing.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I miss the time in Canada, when all my neighbours (and myself) were well equipped with DIY tools. Myself, I converted my garage to a woodworking shed and made lots of little projects to keep busy on weekends. For drilling holes in concrete walls, I suggest at least a 9V drill (bigger is better). I had a 7V Makita (old type, NiCad battery) which just doesn't have the power for continued use. Then later I bought an 18V DeWalt (Li-Ion battery) which was really good. For masonry drilling, I believe you will need a masonry dill bit which is different from a wood drill bit. Also, if you use your drill on concrete often, you may be better off with an "impact" driver, one that "hammers" as it drills. Best is to be watchful and attentive of contractors and notice the tools they use. As they do it for a living, and get tips from them.

Cheers!

I'm sick of the attitude of the handyman. Some of them very sialan.

I think I must retrieve the skills that I learned fortnightly from technical skills attachments at Swiss Cottage when I was Sec 3 and Sec 4 - metal and wood.

Okay, there are so many toolboxes available in the market. For one that can drill holes in the wall, what should I get ? Is 3.6V type enough ?

Onitsuka

Alfrescian
Loyal
I miss the time in Canada, when all my neighbours (and myself) were well equipped with DIY tools. Myself, I converted my garage to a woodworking shed and made lots of little projects to keep busy on weekends. For drilling holes in concrete walls, I suggest at least a 9V drill (bigger is better). I had a 7V Makita (old type, NiCad battery) which just doesn't have the power for continued use. Then later I bought an 18V DeWalt (Li-Ion battery) which was really good. For masonry drilling, I believe you will need a masonry dill bit which is different from a wood drill bit. Also, if you use your drill on concrete often, you may be better off with an "impact" driver, one that "hammers" as it drills. Best is to be watchful and attentive of contractors and notice the tools they use. As they do it for a living, and get tips from them.

Cheers!

I have zero experience. I just need to drill holes in wall to hand curtains or pictures. 7V enough ?

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I started with a corded power handrill, which was able to meet all my needs, until, I started to work on some roof projects, and needed a cordless drill. A feshly carged 7V would suffice for most hobby scale projects. If each session only lasts a couple of minutes, no problem. You will only need a larger capacity tool (battery in this case) if your work is continuous with constant use of the tool. 7V will drain itself out after a short while, and will need a recharge (or new battery).

Cheers!

I have zero experience. I just need to drill holes in wall to hand curtains or pictures. 7V enough ?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I miss the time in Canada, when all my neighbours (and myself) were well equipped with DIY tools. Myself, I converted my garage to a woodworking shed and made lots of little projects to keep busy on weekends. ....

Had a friend who with the help of a friend built his new home:eek:
Canadian homes are mostly made of wood.

He was a teacher at a local University. He was very handy & helped me with fixing up my car:o
With labor being so expensive being a DIY person will save you $.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I am a screw salesman, all my life I deal with screws and anchors, so I have this to say:

1. If you need to drill into concrete, get a powered tool meaning the one with a power cable, nothing beats a tool like this for drilling.

2. If you are doing simple drilling into drywall (boards) or timber, yes a battery power tool can help.

3. What is the maximum and minimum diameter of holes you need to drill? This determine the size of the drill bit and then determines the size of the drilling machine which also determines then type of tool, battery or powered.

There are more questions to ask before can make decision however need to answer the above questions first before asking further questions.

By the way your question should be What electric drilling machine to get, not toolbox.

This is a tool box

toolbox1.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I started with a corded power handrill, which was able to meet all my needs, until, I started to work on some roof projects, and needed a cordless drill. . . . . .

Cheers!

Roof work you'd probably need an electric screw driver rather than a drill. Next time you have this type of project can consider buy some screws from me I give you discount :p . . . . . . for SBF members only.

Onitsuka

Alfrescian
Loyal

He was a teacher at a local University. He was very handy & helped me with fixing up my car:o

You are right. I suggest chootchiew start learning some DIY skills (hold slim waist not considered DIY skills) to overcome the boredom of his TPK job.

I'm going to get some vinyl sticker to overlay my kitchen cabinet doors. Another DIY project in the pipeline. I asked around the almost all contractors quoted me $150 per door regardless of door size.

Onitsuka

Alfrescian
Loyal
E2zJQiEtbW8SSZOSfeMduK4QS0kDXzsC.jpg

$89 only

The LDX172C Black & Decker Drill/Driver 7.2-Volt Drill is ideal for home repairs and assembly such as installing window treatments, shelves and cabinetry. This Black & Decker Lithium Drill features a fan-cooled motor that extends the life of the tool. This powerful 7.2 Volt Drill also features a keyless chuck for quick and easy bit changes. The lithium ion battery of the LDX172C Black & Decker Drill/Driver is always ready for the next project, as it will hold a charge up to 18 months. This Lithium Battery-Powered Drill/Driver from Black & Decker also features an ergonomic, mid-handle design for balance, comfort and drill control. Whatever your next home project is, the Black & Decker Lithium Drill can help you finish it quickly and correctly. Whether you're an experienced builder or a novice to do-it-yourself projects, the Black & Decker Drill/Driver (LDX172C) can be just the tool you're looking for.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes. Most north-American suburban houses are constructed from wood. I got started in woodworking shortly after I move into my first house there. It was a semi-detached house and upon moving in - everything was there, except the fences. One neighbour suggested we erected the fences on a group effort - to save money from paying contractors to do it for us. So (this guy had a pickup truck) he volunteered to purchase the wood panel (planks) and each of us figured out the amount of screws we'd need and got them all from Home Depot. I purchased a circular saw, a drill, and after putting it all up (we still had to engage a service crew to drill the holes in the ground to erect the main support posts). We filled the holes with premixed cement, erected the main posts, and then slowly assembled the rest of the planks to complete the fence. - Wasn't as difficult as I first envisioned it to be. After that, we had lot of leftover pieces of wood, and that got me started on woodworking. Began making lots of storage boxes, some of which I still have (brought them to Peesai when I came over). Later on, I bought a table saw (for ripping lengths of wood), a belt saw (for more precision work), sanders (for finishing the work) planers, and my wife got interested in folk painting designs on some of my completed work. I made a potato box (sort of food shelf) for her. Was working on a dog kennel, but my dog doesn't like sleeping in it! So I destroyed it after completing it. Would have love to attempt making a musical instrument, but don't have an idea what instrument to attempt - I don't play any!!! Woodworking is fun. Sawing pine especially, it produces a smell (of the resin) that is very refreshing, unlike plywood - all dry and dusty!

I got so interested, I started looking for work in a woodworking shop and eventually worked as an assembler in a factory making stereo cabinets for custom vans and hi-fi showrooms. There, I was exposed to industrial sized saws, routers, including a CNC cutter to cut shapes from a 4ft X 8 ft MDF (medium-density fibreboards), at this scale, it wasn't fun anymore - it was about speed and making it with minimal waste. All economics. I only enjoyed it as a hobby. So I quit. Boss wanted me to apply coatings to the finished product, by spray-painting. Glad I got out of it by then!

Cheers!

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You are right. I suggest chootchiew start learning some DIY skills (hold slim waist not considered DIY skills) to overcome the boredom of his TPK job.

I'm going to get some vinyl sticker to overlay my kitchen cabinet doors. Another DIY project in the pipeline. I asked around the almost all contractors quoted me $150 per door regardless of door size.

Maybe cheaper if you go to JB & source some Malaysians to do it:confused:
Heard of people going to JB to paint their cars, do servicing, make curtains,...etc

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Looks sharp! I believe Lithium-Ion batteries are way better then the earlier Nickel-cadmium types and will hold the charge for longer period of time. Have fun!

I have no used for such heavy-duty power tools now. When I have a little more spare cash (after income ta month) will consider a Drexel Rotary tool. I think Black & Decker has a similar rotary tool kit, and will compare the two when the time comes to get it.

Cheers!

The LDX172C Black & Decker Drill/Driver 7.2-Volt Drill is ideal for home repairs and assembly such as installing window treatments, shelves and cabinetry. This Black & Decker Lithium Drill features a fan-cooled motor that extends the life of the tool. This powerful 7.2 Volt Drill also features a keyless chuck for quick and easy bit changes. The lithium ion battery of the LDX172C Black & Decker Drill/Driver is always ready for the next project, as it will hold a charge up to 18 months. This Lithium Battery-Powered Drill/Driver from Black & Decker also features an ergonomic, mid-handle design for balance, comfort and drill control. Whatever your next home project is, the Black & Decker Lithium Drill can help you finish it quickly and correctly. Whether you're an experienced builder or a novice to do-it-yourself projects, the Black & Decker Drill/Driver (LDX172C) can be just the tool you're looking for.[/QUOTE]

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yup and mine was at Swiss Cottage Sec along Dunearn Rd. The minahs at Swiss Cottage were on par with those at Anderson Sec.

I also went to Swiss Cottage to do my technical workshop. My school was further down the road:smile:

Actually there was little interaction with the Swiss Cottagers. In fact at the very beginning I got the impression that this school only tolerated us because we were forced to do our technical workshop there. Maybe it was because on the very 1st day we got a warning from them that any funny stuff would be dealt with severely.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
B & D and Bosch are consumer grade brands. They'll give a couple of years of service and then pack up. However they're good enough if you just do the occasional odd job.

If you want something that lasts a long time stick to Makita, DeWalt, Hitachi.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Black and Decker is frowned upon by the professional tradesmen because it has that "Home Hobbyist" image to it. BTW, DeWalt is made by Black and Decker. All are good though.

Cheers!

B & D and Bosch are consumer grade brands. They'll give a couple of years of service and then pack up. However they're good enough if you just do the occasional odd job.

If you want something that lasts a long time stick to Makita, DeWalt, Hitachi.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I also went to Swiss Cottage to do my technical workshop. My school was further down the road:smile:

Actually there was little interaction with the Swiss Cottagers. In fact at the very beginning I got the impression that this school only tolerated us because we were forced to do our technical workshop there. Maybe it was because on the very 1st day we got a warning from them that any funny stuff would be dealt with severely.

OMG! We could well be classmates then. My friends and I would go up the bus and try our best not to pay bus fare. Just one-stop only. 90% success rate. Too lazy to walk down.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Black and Decker is frowned upon by the professional tradesmen because it has that "Home Hobbyist" image to it. BTW, DeWalt is made by Black and Decker. All are good though.

Cheers!

DeWalt is professional grade tool pedigree. It was sold to B & D in the 60s.

B & D now use the DeWalt brand for the professional trade market. DeWalt is to B & D what Lexus is to Toyota. It's market segmentation. DeWalt is far more expensive and is of a higher quality.