• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

what they do to the unsold food ??

kensington

Alfrescian
Loyal
I used to own a food franchise and end of the day I'll drive over to the local soup kitchen and dumped those "extras" there. Sometimes, I'll even topped up the soup kitchen with extra bags of sausages and chips if my delivery was smaller than usual. I don't get paid for all that and had to spend extra money on top but the satisfaction of knowing that some less fortunate souls will benefit from such little gestures is gratifying enough.

Charity begins at home so starts with those closest to you.
Be caring and giving, life itself will be caring back to you.:wink:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I used to own a food franchise and end of the day I'll drive over to the local soup kitchen and dumped those "extras" there. Sometimes, I'll even topped up the soup kitchen with extra bags of sausages and chips if my delivery was smaller than usual. I don't get paid for all that and had to spend extra money on top but the satisfaction of knowing that some less fortunate souls will benefit from such little gestures is gratifying enough.

That's very nice of you. That's action with your own means and time at your own cost, not just sitting there and accuse others of wasting food as if it's so simple to donate. A small charity needing wouldn't be even able to afford collecting it. Buy a van and hire a driver? That'd cost more than simply just using the cash donation received to buy food.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
few days ago, I passed by a BreadTalk outlet at about 10.30pm... was very surprised to see the staff taking the unsold buns/cakes and put into a thrash bag !!

just curious , do they throw away ??

I definetely see the staff put (or rather throw) all into a black colour thrash bag. Isn't it a waste ??

You want to eat those unsold bread?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the old days providing unconsumed perishables to welfare homes and the needy were common. It resulted in a few cases of food poisoning. Welfare homes now cannot accept such food unless an organisation that donates or distributes meets certain standards to ensure that no one is hurt. That requires a lot of overhead. For food outlets who donate food there is the issue of liability. So the welfare homes and food outlets who donate food require assurance.

Even the charity that distributes food chose plain bread and now they are also a Pte Ltd company to avoid liability.

Most food outlets around the world offer discounts during the last 2 hours of business. In the west if you pop into the supermarket you will realise that the bulk who buy at that hour are not well do. So in a way it works out.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If I remember correctly, there was once an Ang Mo Lady in SG that went around to these places to collect unsold bread and then distributed it to the needy.

Wonder if she is still in SG or even still alive. These are the kinds of FT we need.

maybe she is in prison, cause if one of the bread she took was bad, and given to the poor, the poor get sick and die, she go to prison, did he hear that in usa, the poor will sue the donater for giving unsafe thing and get much more in settlements.

Varuna

Alfrescian
Loyal

Good work! Doing charity is usually self-motivated and comes from within. In a way it helps one cultivate inner virtues of compassion and loving-kindness. Individual small effort sometimes may appear like an insignificant tiny drop to many of us but to the receiver it could mean a great difference between life and death. :smile:

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
They can always donate such makan to the orphanages, old folks home etc. Residents there would be more appreciative. Yes, you are right - no $ to be made from such a gesture. Worse, must spend money to deliver the leftovers.

Actually no need cost involved. Many kind Sporeans are willing to volunteer to deliver them to these institutions.

Received_by_Kings

Alfrescian
Loyal
what they do to the unsold food ??

few days ago, I passed by a BreadTalk outlet at about 10.30pm... was very surprised to see the staff taking the unsold buns/cakes and put into a thrash bag !!

I definetely see the staff put (or rather throw) all into a black colour thrash bag. Isn't it a waste ??

Yup they should feed you.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sometime the more branches you have the more it becomes a hassle & cost to consolidate all unsold foods from different places and distribute them to different charities. If the owner do not have a strong heart to help the poor, he will just dump the food to save on transport or administrative costs. Such employer attitude is more likely to happen in Singapore than anywhere in the world.

wahlaneh

Alfrescian
Loyal

wahlaneh...
heard some nursing homes get free leftovers for their elderly residents leh.
true or false?:wink:

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
wahlaneh...
but if keep feeding them with fresh rations how to cover losses?:confused:
next time u visit a nursing home think about those leftovers ok?:wink:

Nursing homes are not refugee camps for beggars. Monthly rates are above a thousand dollar per month. Donations are welcome of course, to help offset some higher costs and to provide better services and facilities, not for people to dump their leftovers so that they feel better not wasting food. Giving away something that's not of value to you is not donation.

wahlaneh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nursing homes are not refugee camps for beggars. Monthly rates are above a thousand dollar per month. Donations are welcome of course, to help offset some higher costs and to provide better services and facilities, not for people to dump their leftovers so that they feel better not wasting food. Giving away something that's not of value to you is not donation.

wahlaneh...
well said! points taken!:biggrin: