• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What PP residents think of Mr Chiam’s performance as MP for the last 25 years

FangZiYuen

Alfrescian
Loyal
images

What PP residents think of Mr Chiam’s performance as MP for the last 25 years?

Most of the residents praised Mr Chiam for being a caring, hardworking and approachable MP who mingles around easily with the residents and put up no “airs” though some expressed concern if he is still able to keep up with his hectic schedule for another term after a mild stroke last year.

Mr Simon Yap, 35 years old, who have lived in Potong Pasir for 25 years said:

“Mr Chiam has done an excellent job managing the estate so far, considering the limited resources he had. I really have no complaints about him as he is a very dedicated MP. The only grouse I have is that there is no shopping center nearby!”

Another resident, who just wants to be known as Mr Fong, added:

“Potong Pasir is a safe and quiet place to live in. There are no hooligans around, the place is clean and close to nature. During the weekends, you can fish at the nearby canal.”

When asked if he will vote for Mr Chiam’s successor if he decides to leave Potong Pasir and lead a GRC in the next election, he said:

“It is better to have two persons to work….More can be done with more pairs of hands.”

He declined to explain further what he meant except that the other person besides Mr Chiam is Mr Sitoh Yi Pin, the PAP’s losing candidate at Potong Pasir for the last two elections.

Despite dangling a huge upgrading carrot to Potong Pasir residents, Mr Chiam had managed to fend off repeated challenges from the ruling party.

Mr Fong felt that upgrading is a non-issue as it doesn’t really benefit the residents:

“They upgrade only the exterior…the number of rooms remain the same, so what is the big difference? Besides, upgrading is not free, we have to pay for it. The government won’t give you a free lunch! If you want free lunch, go to the Buddhist lodge!” he quipped.

A former PAP member, 76 year old Madam Ng is more circumspect:

“No matter who is the MP, the most important thing is that he serves the residents and does his job well.”

When asked who she will vote for in the next election, she declined to commit herself:

“Though I am not educated, I know that your vote is supposed to be a secret in Singapore. There is no need for me to tell who I vote for to anybody, including my family members.”

Judging from the affection Potong Pasir residents displayed towards Mr Chiam, he will be sorely missed by them if he decides to leave Potong Pasir to contest elsewhere in the next election.