• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What is the rates for CNY Ang Baos?

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
actually i find cny quite disturbing cos its all abt face...ang pow bigger get more face lor...is this really chinese customs?
sumtimes, not face lor! ...

especially 2 in-laws ... if u dun gif enuff, u oso may scare dey say tings about u bhind ur back lor! ... :o

Chloe

Alfrescian
Loyal

especially 2 in-laws ... if u dun gif enuff, u oso may scare dey say tings about u bhind ur back lor! ... :o

lucky me not married...hahaha....but still must give nephews, nieces and parents...

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

That is why you don't get married.

Or if you really, really, really want to get married, get a non-Chinese, non-Sinkie FT whose family doesn't care about silly CNY traditions.

If you're married to a typical Sinkie Chinese charbor:

1) Wife's family is richer, husband will kena lots of 'white eye' from the in-laws.
2) Wife's family is poorer, husband is seen as the 'ticket' to a better life by the in-laws. Expect lots of borrowing, freeloading, leeching etc.

Heads they win, tails you lose. Why bother?

t0nychat

Alfrescian
Loyal
For me, it goes like this.

Parents and parents in law: $500 each person
Grandparents: $200 each person

Nieces and nephews: $20 each.

Others: $10 each.

Only Singkie will give so little. I will give $2888 to grandparents and parents. To my niece and nephew, probably $500 to $1000.

However I am still single and unwanted, so no need to give any ang pow.

StinkiePeasants

Alfrescian
Loyal
Best rate is zero dollar ang pow: go overseas for a holiday. :biggrin:

Can't stand my obnoxious relatives and their brats anyway. No, I'm not interested in how well you're doing in school, so piss off. :oIo:

The best strategy is to migrate overseas. That solves the problem of deciding where to go for vacation every CNY.

bushtucker

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
just give whatever you think is right! don't fall into the sinkie mentality of setting standards for ang pows.

case in point: ang pow rates for wedding banquets.