• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What is Bipolar Disorder

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://helpguide.org/mental/bipolar_disorder_symptoms_treatment.htm

Understanding Bipolar Disorder

Signs, Symptoms, and Treatment of Manic Depression

We all have our ups and downs, our "off" days and our "on" days, but if you're suffering from bipolar disorder, these peaks and valleys are more severe. The symptoms of bipolar disorder can hurt your job and school performance, damage your relationships, and disrupt your daily life. And although bipolar disorder is treatable, many people don’t recognize the warning signs and get the help they need. Since bipolar disorder tends to worsen without treatment, it’s important to learn what the symptoms look like. Recognizing the problem is the first step to getting it under control.

What is bipolar disorder?
Bipolar disorder (also known as manic depression) causes serious shifts in mood, energy, thinking, and behavior–from the highs of mania on one extreme, to the lows of depression on the other. More than just a fleeting good or bad mood, the cycles of bipolar disorder last for days, weeks, or months. And unlike ordinary mood swings, the mood changes of bipolar disorder are so intense that they interfere with your ability to function.
During a manic episode, a person might impulsively quit a job, charge up huge amounts on credit cards, or feel rested after sleeping two hours. During a depressive episode, the same person might be too tired to get out of bed and full of self-loathing and hopelessness over being unemployed and in debt.
The causes of bipolar disorder aren’t completely understood, but it often runs in families. The first manic or depressive episode of bipolar disorder usually occurs in the teenage years or early adulthood. The symptoms can be subtle and confusing, so many people with bipolar disorder are overlooked or misdiagnosed–resulting in unnecessary suffering. But with proper treatment and support, you can lead a rich and fulfilling life.

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Myths and Facts About Bipolar Disorder

Myth: People with bipolar disorder can’t get better or lead a normal life.
Fact: Many people with bipolar disorder have successful careers, happy family lives, and satisfying relationships. Living with bipolar disorder is challenging. But with treatment, healthy coping skills, and a solid support system, you can live fully while managing your symptoms.

Myth: People with bipolar disorder swing back and forth between mania and depression.
Fact: Some people alternate between extreme episodes of mania and depression, but most are depressed more often than they are manic. Mania may also be so mild that it goes unrecognized. People with bipolar disorder can also go for long stretches without symptoms.

MYTH: Bipolar disorder only affects mood.
Fact: Bipolar disorder also affects your energy level, judgment, memory, concentration, appetite, sleep patterns, sex drive, and self-esteem. Additionally, bipolar disorder has been linked to anxiety, substance abuse, and health problems such as diabetes, heart disease, migraines, and high blood pressure.

MYTH: Aside from taking medication, there is nothing you can do to control bipolar disorder.
Fact: While medication is the foundation of bipolar disorder treatment, therapy and self-help strategies also play important roles. You can help control your symptoms by exercising regularly, getting enough sleep, eating right, monitoring your moods, keeping stress to a minimum, and surrounding yourself with supportive people.

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've decided to start this thread after so much talk about this mental condition lately

Ris Low has blamed her past behaviour on Bipolar Disorder... then the Miss Sinkapore organiser has blamed her bad English on this condition

Love to everyone's views

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have 2 friends who have been diagnosed with bipolar. I am not a psychologist but I just want to share what I know about them

When I knew them, both were uni students around 19~21 years old and have been diagnosed since their teens

Both are incredibly intelligent students (1 constantly tops her class in journalism and the other is very bilingual and majoring in literature, history and philosphy)

Both have trouble holding down normal relationships. Last heard 1 became a lesbian.

Both are reliant on their prescribed medication to cope with depression. The medication makes them put on weight.

Jabba

Alfrescian
Loyal
I seriously dunno how to spot someone with bipolar disorder...but i do have a pair of bipolar speakers...and the sound is good...

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I seriously dunno how to spot someone with bipolar disorder...but i do have a pair of bipolar speakers...and the sound is good...

You damn lucky.... this bipolar speaker went BOOMZ:

MissSporeWorld2009_02.jpg

tammysoup

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ah Guan....i know personally of a lady friend about the same age too, suffers from this bipolar disorder. she a has very unconventional view on relationship and is a compulsive liar and her lies are so obvious,that we did not want to exposed so as not to embarass her. Currently on medication to control her mood and hopefully her behaviour. Like your 2 friends she is academically way above average....Just hope she recognises her problem and resolves to control it.

SotongMee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Becoming a lesbian also in holding down relationship, although abnormal.:biggrin:

Both have trouble holding down normal relationships. Last heard 1 became a lesbian.

Both are reliant on their prescribed medication to cope with depression. The medication makes them put on weight.

Last edited:

SotongMee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Since young, I have s chronic bi-Polar condition, I crave for and must have two pieces of their sugar rolls almost everyday.

SotongMee

Alfrescian
Loyal
No, I am skinny and not suffering from any disorder or diet related medical conditions.

And my secret to share,is my daily intake of bi-Polar sweet sugar rolls cures all maniac depressions after a hard day at work.

Hahahahahahahahaa you're so fat you cake manic, oops we mean maniac. We like the the cream puffs occasionally too.

angie ll

Alfrescian
Loyal
Since young, I have s chronic bi-Polar condition, I crave for and must have two pieces of their sugar rolls almost everyday.

i have bi-polar disorder as well. on one hand i love the pap to death. on the other, i'm afraid people will hate me for it. it's just a feeling i can't control. i love lky!

angie II

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
everyone loves KY without the L.:biggrin:

leetahbar... you know him? Your friend? You need to open your eyes wider. :biggrin:

i have bi-polar disorder as well. on one hand i love the pap to death. on the other, i'm afraid people will hate me for it. it's just a feeling i can't control. i love lky!

Hahaha... Thats PAPee IB for you!

Hey... How come you stopped posting already? Post somemore leh :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ah Guan....i know personally of a lady friend about the same age too, suffers from this bipolar disorder. she a has very unconventional view on relationship and is a compulsive liar and her lies are so obvious,that we did not want to exposed so as not to embarass her. Currently on medication to control her mood and hopefully her behaviour. Like your 2 friends she is academically way above average....Just hope she recognises her problem and resolves to control it.

It's weird that only young people are diagnosed with bipolar disorder. When I was about the same age, people who behave badly are taught a lesson... not prescribed antidepressant drugs to.

I have had this discussion before with a good friend -- we came to the conclusion that the term "bipolar disorder" is just an excuse for pharmaceutical companies to sell drugs to young people