• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What if this lady print quotes from pappies instead of ex-aware?

R4g3

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aware saga spawns T-shirt

xfeministwomens.jpg

xpage73mens.jpg

xshutupmenspink.jpg

xeldersmens.jpg

AS 3,000 people packed the Association of Women and Research (Aware)'s Extraordinary General Meeting (EOGM) last Saturday, Vicki Lew, 29, followed the unfolding drama via a live feed on social networking site Twitter.

She had signed up as an Aware member earlier last week so that she could vote in a no-confidence motion against the 'new guard' led by then-President Josie Lau, but came down with a bad stomach flu and was unable to attend the showdown.

At one point during the raucous meeting, former exco member Sally Ang shouted at the jeering audience to 'shut up and sit down'. The outburst got the Twitter stream #awaresg abuzz, and one netizen jested that the phrase would look great on a t-shirt.

That immediately sparked Ms Lew to conjure up a design using the now-infamous quote 'just for fun'. In 30 minutes, the design consultant with nine years of experience shared a mock-up with 'followers' of the Twitter feed, who responded positively to the prototype.

As emotions ran high and more barbs were traded between the 'new guard' and supporters of the 'old guard', the feisty exchanges provided many more quote-worthy jibes.

Still following the Twitter feed, Ms Lew drew inspiration from these juicy tidbits and came up with four designs by the time the seven-hour marathon EGM ended past 9pm. Buoyed by the positive feedback from netizens, Ms Lew uploaded some of these designs onto a US-based t-shirt printing site and quickly garnered about 30 orders, she told straitstimes.com on Tuesday.

'But using a US site meant that the t-shirts were expensive and then there's the high cost of shipping,' said Ms Lew, who then managed to get in touch with friend who ran a printing business and could also produce the t-shirts. 'We want to support local businesses, and also keep costs down,' she explained.

By 4am on Sunday morning, the t-shirts were ready for sale via a Singapore site. Since then, more than 150 t-shirts (retailed at $29.90), have been sold, with the original 'Shut up and sit down' t-shirt being the most popular. At last count, the next most popular item was the 'I'm on page 73' t-shirt, referring to self-declared 'feminist mentor' Dr Thio Su Mien's quote about the page number of an Aware publication on which she was featured.

Ms Lew attributed the surging t-shirt sales to social networking sites like Twitter and Facebook, where news of the t-shirts have 'totally gone viral' since the initial designs were uploaded on Sunday. While not sold on the actual Aware website, Ms Lew said that the newly-elected exco 'have been supportive' of the t-shirts, with talk to link the t-shirt sale site to the we-are-aware.sg site used by the 'old guard'.

Describing herself as someone who was actually 'not very vocal', Ms Lew initially felt that the Aware saga had nothing to do with her. However, as she followed the saga, she said the takeover launched by the 'new guard' exco 'got her thinking' about broader issues. 'I wouldn't have these rights, these luxuries, if someone did not fight for them,' she said, referring to the advances in women's rights. 'After this, it really showed me that I have to say something if things are not right,' she added.

For now, Ms Lew is walking the talk by donating 70 per cent of proceeds from the t-shirt sales to Aware. 'After the $90,000 that the exco spent, they really need it,' she quipped, referring to the amount spent by the Josie Lau-led exco in just one month.

Meanwhile, the sales site is collecting orders and will be printing the t-shirts in batches for cost-effectiveness. Ms Lew also intends to gift these t-shirts to the newly-elected exco members once they have have been printed.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_372631.html

If she use the quotes from pappies, there will so many designs to come up with. And every now and then, new quotes keep coming.

JinGanKor

Alfrescian
Loyal
If she use the quotes from pappies, there will so many designs to come up with. And every now and then, new quotes keep coming.

you mean all these?

"Without the elected president and if there is a freak result, within two or three years, the army would have to come in and stop it."

"Please do not assume that you can change gahmen. Young people don't understand this"

"You have to pay the market rate or the man will up stakes and join Morgan Stanley, Lehman Brothers or Goldman Sachs and you would have an incompetent man and you would lost money by the BILLIONS"

“For people in government like me, having to deal with these sums of money which we have accumulated through the sweat of our brow over the last 40 years, you have to pay the market rate. And then you’ve got an incompetent man and you’ve lost money, by the billions. So get a sense of proportion.”

'You know, the cure for all this talk is really a good dose of incompetent government. You get that alternative and you'll never put Singapore together again: Humpty Dumpty cannot be put together again...and your asset values will be in peril, your security will be at risk and our women will become maids in other people's countries, foreign workers.'

"If nobody is afraid of me, I’m meaningless."

"Low salaries will draw in the hypocrites who sweet talk their way into power in the name of public service, but once in charge will show their true colour, and ruin the country."

"When I call a man openly, you're a liar, you're dishonest, and you do not dare to sue me, there's something basically wrong."

"Retrenchment is good for Singapore . If there is no retrenchments, then I worry."

"But that’s life — if you want to have a good rewards, you’ve got to take risk. ...Otherwise, leave your money in your CPF ... Four per cent is a fabulous return without risk "

"For a person who runs a million-dollar charitable organisation, $600,000 is peanuts as it has a few hundred millions in reserves."

"People support CPF cuts because there are no protest outside parliament."

"I'm going to spend all my time thinking what's the right way to fix them, to buy my supporters votes."

"GST hike is to help the poor."

"'I mean, we are different. This was a lapse, what to do, it's happened."

"All our people put chilly and onion to prevent the rain for coming down this evening. "

'This should never have happened. I am sorry that it has.'

"There are two scenarios: one, he is in Singapore and hidden by sympathisers unknown to the authorities, or two, he has fled the country. It's very hard to say. Both scenarios are plausible. Maybe the second one is more plausible. "

there are simply too many examples...i give up...

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unfortunately, I cannot surface but shall be assisting in the background

I was disturbed by what Aware was doing and felt that I wanted to do my part, but I didn't want to front it. If not, we would not have an advantage