• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What if...Singapore is creative place...and we have our world beater companies??

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Until a sinkie has lived and worked in the Bay area, he will not be able to comprehend why something similar cannot be created elsewhere. I had the honor of being posted there for 2 years when I was young and impressionable. It changed my life forever. My mindset and my view of the world was transformed.

Many nations have tried to create their own silicon valley. None have succeeded.

it takes about 2 years to soak in the culture of "problem solving", and from problem-solving industry's and society's intricate and sometimes near-impossible demands and issues, innovation and invention are induced. the presence of like-minded root cause finders and problem solvers help to fan the flame to a passionate desire to deliver not just a solution, but the best or most elegant solution. add investors, incubators and implementors, and a product is created and startup formed. the climate, geography, pace of life, cafe and chatty culture help to provide sanity and serenity around the creative culture. and there's that reminder always in the back of the mind that if one john doe can be boss and successful, so can you.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
it takes about 2 years to soak in the culture of "problem solving", and from problem-solving industry's and society's intricate and sometimes near-impossible demands and issues, innovation and invention are induced.

You know where we were at our creative best??? It was not at the office. It was at Round Table Pizza near the junction of El Camino Real and Capital Expressway.

It was like that all over the Bay area. I regularly witnessed tables full of guys/gals at bars/cafes/restaurants from other companies enthusiastically explaining circuit diagrams drawn on table napkins.

Our top designer of integrated circuits did his best work when he was slightly stoned. I kid you not. In Singapore, he'd have been caught and hanged.

When I see similar behaviour in Singapore, I'll say it's ready to take on the world but not before.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
singaporeans doing stuff on table napkins can result in huge financial losses......re: Cheong/Branson.

You know where we were at our creative best??? It was not at the office. It was at Round Table Pizza near the junction of El Camino Real and Capital Expressway.

It was like that all over the Bay area. I regularly witnessed tables full of guys/gals at bars/cafes/restaurants from other companies enthusiastically explaining circuit diagrams drawn on table napkins.

Our top designer of integrated circuits did his best work when he was slightly stoned. I kid you not. In Singapore, he'd have been caught and hanged.

When I see similar behaviour in Singapore, I'll say it's ready to take on the world but not before.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

bay area "copitiam" culture. :biggrin: and add tcss to the mix. :p

a top phd created the td-scdma concept on a napkin and gave it to a prc official. the rest is history. china mobile is now using that technology.

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal

I think we hit on something. A vibrant place contradicts with family oriented culture. It is a big contradiction. So if u want to create a happening place, may not be conducive to rearing families. Gahment is trying to do both in White Paper who may not be possible!

mrliao

Alfrescian
Loyal
The major problem with the TS's idealization is that we are surrounded by a sea of cheap labour. Not that they are cheap and bad, but rather they are cheap and "so so" in their productivity.

While we can't beat people in innovation, the people in power can still make do with selling "so so" products. The only reason why we invest in r+d is because we need patents to do cross licensing deals via legal threats rather than any real innovation.

Anyway, i don't agree that Singapore is too small to do anything. We have a very big problem, population density which is "world class", which warrants new r+d to be done, but our a* decides that biotech is more important.

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think we hit on something. A vibrant place contradicts with family oriented culture. It is a big contradiction. So if u want to create a happening place, may not be conducive to rearing families. Gahment is trying to do both in White Paper who may not be possible!

Singapore is not ready for the New Economy and the White Paper will not work. To create a Google u need to understand what makes a Google person ticks. He/she is someone who hates authority, does not sit in a 9 to 5 job, lives a singles lifestyle, having a family is furthermost in their minds, likes to get stoned, probably bi or gay, drives a Ferrari or some sports car and never stay in one place, company or home for more than 2 years.

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Anyway, i don't agree that Singapore is too small to do anything. We have a very big problem, population density which is "world class", which warrants new r+d to be done, but our a* decides that biotech is more important.

Where are the venture capitalists? If there is no A*, someone else has to take over.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore is not ready for the New Economy and the White Paper will not work. To create a Google u need to understand what makes a Google person ticks. He/she is someone who hates authority, does not sit in a 9 to 5 job, lives a singles lifestyle, having a family is furthermost in their minds, likes to get stoned, probably bi or gay, drives a Ferrari or some sports car and never stay in one place, company or home for more than 2 years.

While I have nothing but disgust for the White paper, to totally base our economy on creative industries is just taking things to the other extreme.

The economy has to be managed like a portfolio. There must be a mix of short/medium/long circle, safe/risky, high/low tech industries. Silicon valley is only a small innovation quarter in the USA. Talents and companies move in and out of it. If it were a sovereign country like Sinkieland, it would definitely face similar challenges like us -- rising cost of living, disenfranchised locals etc..

Some of us don't want to be a professional sculptor, share an apartment with gay drug dealer and live in a bohemian society. Some of us do. Some people are just not creative and make all their life choices being boring and avoiding risk. Those are singaporeans whom our ideal economic model also has to cater for.

The key word is balance.