• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What if Chen Shao Mao made his rally speeches in Hokkien too ??

karmabear

Alfrescian
Loyal
In Sg, our ancestors are laborers so the languange is coarser and more direct. Honestly, when someone tells me KNNBCCB, i don't feel too offended. CSM should come out and speak in hokkien, even if its a short speech. I am sure people will warm up to it. Am quite disappointed with his online presence which so far is very little. So you are not connecting with the Gen Y and now, you are missing the connection with the baby boomers. While CV looks impressive, I feel he needs to come forward more if he wants to make a genuine impact in SG politics. In fact, he comes out and say KNN, i think we will straight away accept him as local.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

jw5

Loyal
I don't know, 中天新闻 don't have all this. :biggrin:

Who says don't have? They always mention "san zhi jing" and "liu zhi jing" never "qi". :biggrin:

But then you must be too engrossed drooling over funny one line dimple newsreader to hear carefully, I understand. :wink:

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Who says don't have? They always mention "san zhi jing" and "liu zhi jing" never "qi". :biggrin:
But then you must be too engrossed drooling over funny one line dimple newsreader to hear carefully, I understand. :wink:

what funny, 中天主播number1正妹! :p

haven't see her appears at SH C827 from 11 pm to 1 am for long time already.

karmabear

Alfrescian
Loyal
All the more he should speak in Hokkien. The old people hokkien is much better than us. Since when have you won an argument with your parents in Hokkien? You scold them KNNBCCB, they use some stupid hokkien phrase come and tuu you. Then we always chwee tah lan...(mouth stuff with cock).

I just showed my mum the video below and can see her visibly agitated and emotional. Use Hokkien to win votes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVcXYYcWjtI&feature=player_embedded
[/URL]

WHO here can SPEAK HOKKIEN better than their PARENTS? KEE CHIEW!!!

Last edited:

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
All the more he should speak in Hokkien. The old people hokkien is much better than us. Since when have you won an argument with your parents in Hokkien? You scold them KNNBCCB, they use some stupid hokkien phrase come and tuu you. Then we always chwee tah lan...(mouth stuff with cock).

I just showed my mum the video below and can see her visibly agitated and emotional. Use Hokkien to win votes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVcXYYcWjtI&feature=player_embedded
[/URL]

WHO here can SPEAK HOKKIEN better than their PARENTS? KEE CHIEW!!!

maybe someone can text him or email him to speak some hokkien....

sukhoi-30

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha..must let Chen Shao Mao know that people wants him to speaks some Hokkien speech in full and the Malay candidate should speaks more Malay...esp for heartlanders..

Last edited:

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Haha..must let Chen Shao Mao know that people wants him to speaks some Hokkien speech in full and the Malay candidate should speaks more Malay...esp for heartlanders..

Agree.

He should say : Undi Workers' Party ...... Best Lah Joe ..... binya lah ....:eek::biggrin::smile:

travelbug

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chen Show Mao is Hokkien lan lah. His Workers Party CV says so, stated very clearly that he speaks English, Mandarin & Hokkien. Also on his facebook page.

But its probably Taiwanese Hokkien.

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Chen Show Mao is Hokkien lan lah. His Workers Party CV says so, stated very clearly that he speaks English, Mandarin & Hokkien. Also on his facebook page.

But its probably Taiwanese Hokkien.

Dei .... you miss out a g ....... very different meaning binya ..... lan and lang ...

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
it's 95% same with just some different words between us and them.

don't know why you can't understand your Taiwan friend?

As i say theirs more 正宗 hokkien...singapore hokkien is more simplified...taiwanese uses many words and terms unlike singapore hokkien....

if one has strong command and knowledge of chinese words, idoms and etc...one will understand...taiwanese uses 成語 in their hokkien...so if one doesnt understand the meaining of it, he or she probably doesnt understand....be it hokkien or mandarin.....

Ok I also must admit I am not a hokkien. My hokkien is only good enough for chatting with taxi drivers and ordering at the coffeeshop (but nowadays it is needed less because of FTs).

I couldn't understand when the old men spoke in Mongke and most of the dialogue in Cape no 7. :p

maozedong

Alfrescian
Loyal
it is very easy for a Taiwan Hokkien to learn Singapore Hokkien but not vice versa.

just like it is quite easy for an Englishman to learn to speak Singlish like a Singaporean
but not easy for a Singaporean to speak standard English like an Englishman.

Singapore Hokkien is sub-substandard compared to Taiwan Hokkien which is the real stuff (well almost - the ultra real stuff is in Xiamen, Quanzhou and Zhangzhou).

Chen Shao Mao should have no problem speaking the Singapore version Hokkien.

Singapore Teochew and Hokkien are 'corrupted' with Malay words (malu, tapi, sala, mata, pasar, etc.), and Singapore Teochew is highly influenced by Singapore Hokkien.

Speak Singapore Teochew in Shantou or Chaozhou and the people there sometimes think you are from Fujian because Singapore Teochew has a lot of Hokkien words which are not used by the real Teochews in China.

Chen Show Mao is a true Singapore son and hero. He got serve NS. Janil Puthu no serve NS.

allanlee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chen might not even be brought up in a Hokkien family.
His parents might be mainland Nationalists who fled to Taiwan. A lot of them could not speak Hokkien. I doubt the two Chiangs even speak Hokkien.

The Chiangs are Hakkas........ they are conversant in Mandarin, Hakka, Shanghainese, Hokkien and Cantonese.

allanlee

Alfrescian
Loyal
it is very easy for a Taiwan Hokkien to learn Singapore Hokkien but not vice versa.

Singapore Hokkien is sub-substandard compared to Taiwan Hokkien which is the real stuff (well almost - the ultra real stuff is in Xiamen, Quanzhou and Zhangzhou).

Chen Shao Mao should have no problem speaking the Singapore version Hokkien.

Chen Show Mao is a true Singapore son and hero. He got serve NS. Janil Puthu no serve NS.

Singkieland hokkien and Taiwanese hokkien is not so far apart that we cannot understand each other..... just do it..... we may not comprehend 100% but still will be able to absorb @ 70-80%...... our hokkien pengs had absolutely no problems communicating with the Taiwanese when they were there....... and vice versa the Taiwanese mei meis oso can understand our ah bengs very well. :p

sukhoi-30

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes..think like what the forummers said, speaking in dialects will let senior citizens know that their votes are secret. This applies for both PAP and opposition rallies.

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes..think like what the forummers said, speaking in dialects will let senior citizens know that their votes are secret. This applies for both PAP and opposition rallies.

PAP candidates will speak in Singapore Hokkien with Singapore slang. CSM will speak Hokkien with Taiwanese slang. Senior citizens may think that a Taiwanese FT is going to take over the country. CSM is smart enough not to risk that, I think.

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
PAP candidates will speak in Singapore Hokkien with Singapore slang. CSM will speak Hokkien with Taiwanese slang. Senior citizens may think that a Taiwanese FT is going to take over the country. CSM is smart enough not to risk that, I think.

:wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink: