• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What does it takes to live in/retire in Australia or NZ......

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
boss, i read there is crash in NZ's commodity prices especially milk. care to tell us how bad is economy in NZ now, do you feel it in your bone?

Commodity prices post record decline - led by dairy

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/economy/news/article.cfm?c_id=34&objectid=11491825

If the economy was bad, house prices wouldn't be going through the roof.

Dairy is only 7% of GDP. When dairy prices fall, the effect is felt mainly in the lower South Island.

NZ has a broad based economy that is not dependent upon commodity prices.

dancingshoes

Alfrescian
Loyal
If the economy was bad, house prices wouldn't be going through the roof.

Dairy is only 7% of GDP. When dairy prices fall, the effect is felt mainly in the lower South Island.

what about jobless rate? are there many job adverts in the papers there? thanks.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
what about jobless rate? are there many job adverts in the papers there? thanks.

No because most jobs are posted on line. Check out seek.co.nz

There is an acute shortage of labor in Auckland and foreigners are flooding in to fill the vacancies.

dancingshoes

Alfrescian
Loyal
No because most jobs are posted on line. Check out seek.co.nz

There is an acute shortage of labor in Auckland and foreigners are flooding in to fill the vacancies.

the NZ unemployment rate is still standing at 5.8% so far for this year, and they forecast there is an uptick.

xpo2015

Alfrescian
Loyal
With the east west mix Singaporeans can live in almost any countries in the world without feeling homesick.

Just do it!

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
the NZ unemployment rate is still standing at 5.8% so far for this year, and they forecast there is an uptick.

There will always be an unemployment rate of about 6% because that is the percentage of people who don't want to work.

They spend their days drunk and high on drugs while collecting unemployment benefits courtesy of the tax payer.

xpo2015

Alfrescian
Loyal
6% is considered awesome in some angmos countries! There is no such things as zero unemployment.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
6% is considered awesome in some angmos countries! There is no such things as zero unemployment.

This is what happens when people are paid without having to work.

That's why I say the PAP system is the best.

koala88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Would it be better to rent or buy a house/apartment?
While still prefer city living, and drive/cycle out to countryside where possible.

Don't worry so much.

So long as you have enough $$, just pack your bag and move.

Once moved, you find there are lots of surprises that no matter how much you plan. You can't plan for everything.

Enjoy the surprises as it come along.

Been there done that...

If you are moving to Australia, this may give you a guide.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...88064&promote_channel=edmail&mbnr=MTMxNDQxNzU

House prices 30% undervalued. Buy, don't rent, says Reserve Bank official
July 8, 2015

All the best mate.

koala88

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is what happens when people are paid without having to work.

That's why I say the PAP system is the best.

PAPigs system is about the worst. They betrayed the very people who put them into power.

Singapore needs more opposition. More check and balance.

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Don't worry so much.

So long as you have enough $$, just pack your bag and move.

Once moved, you find there are lots of surprises that no matter how much you plan. You can't plan for everything.

Enjoy the surprises as it come along.

Been there done that...

If you are moving to Australia, this may give you a guide.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...88064&promote_channel=edmail&mbnr=MTMxNDQxNzU

House prices 30% undervalued. Buy, don't rent, says Reserve Bank official
July 8, 2015

All the best mate.

Thanks koala 88.

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ozzieland or NZ both are definitely better than Sinkieland!!

Although eating out at shopping mall can be expensive but

at least there's a compromise if you make purchase at Super-mart

there's always good offer, better than Stingapoor!

Cars and house are more affordable than Sinkieland, cars NO COE!!

and all the fcuking CRAP from LTA!!
COE, ARF & PARF, LTA 125% duty, Customer duty 45%
Importer Profit margin and warranty cost!! Car owner got
to pay with an Arm and Leg!!

OMV cost $15k Sinkies end up paying $120K!!
In Ozzieland and NZ you pay OMV price of a CAR u can drive
till the car gave way in 30 to 40 years time!!

koala88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ozzieland or NZ both are definitely better than Sinkieland!!

Although eating out at shopping mall can be expensive but

at least there's a compromise if you make purchase at Super-mart

there's always good offer, better than Stingapoor!

Cars and house are more affordable than Sinkieland, cars NO COE!!

and all the fcuking CRAP from LTA!!
COE, ARF & PARF, LTA 125% duty, Customer duty 45%
Importer Profit margin and warranty cost!! Car owner got
to pay with an Arm and Leg!!

OMV cost $15k Sinkies end up paying $120K!!
In Ozzieland and NZ you pay OMV price of a CAR u can drive
till the car gave way in 30 to 40 years time!!

Last month, I bought a new Hyundai ix35 SE Auto for A$29,990 - which is about S$30,000 now.

For that price I paid, I get:

8 years warranty [5 years unlimited factory warranty + 3 years agent warranty (cap at $3k)].

Plus 10 years road side assist & 3 years of free unlimited car wash.

12 months 3rd party insurance, stamp duty, agent's comm and road tax.

10 years of servicing cap price package for most years - it is capped at $290.00 per servicing [exclude consumables].

Other details of the car can be found here: http://www.hyundai.com.au/offers/ix35-special-edition

Houses are no longer cheap in areas near the city. However in the outer Sydney suburb, say in Blacktown, you still find freehold landed properties for less than $600,000 and 2 bedroom apartment for less than$400,000.

http://www.domain.com.au/search/buy...ort=price-asc&searchterm=blacktown,+nsw,+2148

And yes, eating out could cost similar to that of Singapore. For that, need to dig out the bargains. They are always there.

Whereas cost of home cooked dinner is cheaper than in Singapore many times over.

Last edited:

dancingshoes

Alfrescian
Loyal
isn't it better to stay in NZ permanently and treat SG as a holiday retreat?

i think it depend on individual,i prefer to stay in sinkieland cos' my family is here. besides, my mum is old and with a bit of dementia. i need to take care of her in the day.

koala88

Alfrescian
Loyal
i think it depend on individual,i prefer to stay in sinkieland cos' my family is here. besides, my mum is old and with a bit of dementia. i need to take care of her in the day.

Take care of your mom... that is more important.

Don't make the same mistake as I did the last time. 我不孝 :(

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PAPigs system is about the worst. They betrayed the very people who put them into power.

Singapore needs more opposition. More check and balance.

Sinkapore needs a change in government. The other parties can do better than the PAP any time.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Last month, I bought a new Hyundai ix35 SE Auto for A$29,990 - which is about S$30,000 now.

You should have waited for the brand new model.... out before the end of the year.

CRO_Cars_Hyundai_Tucson_Front_05-15.png

The Hyundai Tucson spent the last decade mired in mediocrity, but the redesigned 2016 model may have broken free of that cycle, shouldering its way forward among the crowded herd of small SUVs.

Based on the Tucson and recent products, it seems Hyundai has learned a thing or two about styling and giving their vehicles a premium feel.

For a fee, we borrowed two 2016 Hyundai Tucsons—a base model and a Limited.

The base 164-hp, 2.0-liter four-cylinder gets a conventional six-speed automatic. It does the job without drama, but the engine can get a bit raucous.

It sounds odd, but the Limited trim actually gets a smaller engine. This 175-hp, 1.6-liter turbo is mated to a seven-speed automated manual. This gearbox feels like a conventional automatic, which is a good thing. Power is readily available, and acceleration feels effortless.

Ride comfort also takes a big step forward. Over rough roads, the 2016 Hyundai Tucson is settled and absorbs impacts well. Wind and road noise are well contained for this class.

Handling is responsive, notably more so with the uplevel 19-inch wheels. An added bonus is that they don’t make for an overly-stiff, uncomfortable ride.

CRO_Cars_Hyundai_Tucson_Interior_05-15.png

While built on different platforms, the new 2016 Hyundai Tucson comes across as a smaller Santa Fe by virtue of its substantial feel, good interior fit and finish, and more than a passing family resemblance. Cabin space is impressive. Tall passengers can easily sit behind a like-sized driver, and headroom is plentiful.

The Limited’s power leather seats have a wide range of adjustments, and they are more supportive and comfortable than the cloth seats in the base version.
Controls are simple and intuitive to use, and Hyundai’s digital layout is mercifully logical. The base Tucson features a smaller touch screen, while the Limited employs an easier-to-read eight-inch screen.

The Limited trim that we tried included the Ultimate package. Its massive sunroof, heated and ventilated front seats, and hands-free power tailgate are premium features uncommon in this class.

Pricing starts at $22,700 for a front-drive SE with the 2.0L engine. Step up to AWD and the turbo 1.6L engine for $25,550, with the range peaking at $31,300 for the Limited, before options.

So far, the third-generation Tucson comes across as a very competitive player in this increasingly popular segment. We’ll dig deeper when we buy our own to test.
Jon Linkov