• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What does a wedding actually mean in SG??

Ridler

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just give how much you think is reasonable. How much he pays to hold his wedding dinner there is his biz lah. After all he invites you to celebrate his wedding and you are not oblige to subsidize him fully. :biggrin:

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
If want to celebrate, celebrate lor. Why treat as business venture.

Years after my wedding dinner, who gave $500 who gave $2... also can't remember already :biggrin:

But there may be those who will remember for life.. and take "revenge" :biggrin:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
nowadays keep getting red bombs, many are ex-schoolmates whom i never meet since leaving school. Got one keep sms me to attend his wedding dinner till i relent. At least saw some of the old friend there, so not a wasted trip.

anyway i always siam by saying must go RT on saturday nite (actually dont hav RT) and Sunday is family day whenever i kenna "bomb" by ppl i not close.

actually ppl now crazy liao, spend $1k per table. mine only $468 and only 5 tables at a resturant and come with karaoke set, invite only relatives who i get along.

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's crazy.. this wedding day fuss. So many stories about the day ending in tears or anguish because the celebration wasn't "perfect" to expectations. "perfect" start to a married life.. wonder how many uhappy "endings" were a result of this unhappy "beginning"

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
Has wedding dinner become a money making opportunity for couples??
no, don't think so, just that it comes so use it as an opportunity as it could a once in a lifetime for most

Are couples expecting friends and relatives to subsidies or pay for the 5 Star hotel wedding dinner they cannot afford, so that they can look good??
i don't know as i am not married, but i don't think thats the case

Why must our name be written on the red packet?? So that they keep a record and return the favors accordingly??
if i am the groom, i know who is who

Am I invited because they sincerely want to share their joy with me??
most probably. unless you belong to the acquaintance category where you could be there just to fill up the minimum tables:p

Should we waste our perfectly fine weekend evening at a dinner where the host cares more about how much money is in the red packets then presences of his guests??
i don't think the money is a major concern but if can breakeven, i guess most couples be happy.

Will a couple be offended if my red packet is below the "market rate"??
hmmm, i don't think so. but don't give $10-$20 and bring whole family go. This one if you are groom also feel offended. People treat you as friend, not that nice too

Will a couple feel sad if they didn't manage to recover the cost or even make money from the wedding dinner??
i don't think so. they more keen to piak piak over the next few nights and weeks rather than ponder over these issues:biggrin:

Will I be able to break this "tradition" when it's my turn to get married??
i think you can. I think i will too. if i get married, i think i invite just some relatives and close friends for a dinner and then fly off overseas for honeymoon. Not those traditional 10 course with 30-40 tables. Many people wouldn't know too. marriage is about 2 persons and sharing the joy with close ones is a necessity i feel. but then again, the bride's family must also be able to take the idea as they might want face. These days, people are more opened to such ideas.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
...ending in tears or anguish ...wonder how many uhappy "endings" were a result of this unhappy "beginning"
Deficit spending, spoil mood at bridal chamber same night after p/loss in red ink?:p:biggrin:

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
bro silverfox,

mum-in-laws can be scary creatures..

u have no idea what sort of influence they have over their daughters..:biggrin:

father-in-laws are usually more ok.. maybe more bochap :biggrin:

Last edited: