• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What do you think of Japan's militarization plans?

maozedong

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm not against studying in the USA at all. If you are a commoner in China and can afford it, by all means, send your children to the West to study. If you are a leader of some other country, that is also okay.

But if you are the leader of an aspiring world superpower and you send your daughter to your no. 1 enemy country to study Bachelors', that really doesn't reflect well on your country. Like I said, it is okay to send her to do Masters or PHD in some technology field in USA because US is way ahead in technology. But we all know that a first degree nowadays is no a big deal. I am sure China's top universities have no problem delivering good quality bachelors programs.

But Bo Xilai was worst. He was an aspiring CPSC member (that means the top 5 leaders in China) and he sent his son to boarding school in UK (now we all know UK is like a small brother to the USA) - and his son broadcast this to the whole world in the Internet. If he were such some rich businessman in China, that wouldn't be a problem at all.

Corruption aside, where your son's or daughter's education could be funded by a foreign investor, I see nothing wrong with sending your children overseas to study. Today's China still suffers from deficiencies in their key institutions.

Although the Chinese universities are quite good at the first degree level, they still lack the broad base discipline that the US universities provide or the comprehensiveness of the British education. And most of all the exposure that these overseas stays provide will be first hand experience for them to emulate when they return home. We often complain of PRCs disgusting behaviour as tourists in foreign lands. This, too, needs to be
learnt from more frequent travelling to foreign lands and attending international meetings.

In the past two centuries, from the world's dominant economic and military power to one where even a little Japan had the right to throw its weight around was directly a result of the refusal to take in outside influence and to learn from external newfound knowledge. This is slowly being changed.

Last edited:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm not against studying in the USA at all. If you are a commoner in China and can afford it, by all means, send your children to the West to study. If you are a leader of some other country, that is also okay.

But if you are the leader of an aspiring world superpower and you send your daughter to your no. 1 enemy country to study Bachelors', that really doesn't reflect well on your country. Like I said, it is okay to send her to do Masters or PHD in some technology field in USA because US is way ahead in technology. But we all know that a first degree nowadays is no a big deal. I am sure China's top universities have no problem delivering good quality bachelors programs.

But Bo Xilai was worst. He was an aspiring CPSC member (that means the top 5 leaders in China) and he sent his son to boarding school in UK (now we all know UK is like a small brother to the USA) - and his son broadcast this to the whole world in the Internet. If he were such some rich businessman in China, that wouldn't be a problem at all.

i think he sent him to the UK boarding school not because he actually didn't trust the china education system but more as bragging rights. Why did his son broadcast it to the world? Cos it's a way of showing off. Getting educated abroad especially in the west is in some ways seen as a status symbol.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Another reason for all these Mainlanders studying overseas is they want to stay overseas,,,the rich send their kids overseas so they can stash their wealth somewhere else,,,the middle class and poor want to leave cos the standard of living is higher in the west and they are worried the CCP will come after them as they have no rights,,so China is good now,,but if its soo good,,why do they want to leave?

I see two reasons here. The people who leave are not the super rich but people who can afford or have the means to send their children overseas for their education. The super-rich are rich enough to have investments overseas to be looked after. What better person to put than one's son or daughter to take charge of such operation?

The high standard of living in the West is a myth especially if you have the money you can live much better in China or another developing country. You can employ an army of servants to look after your every whim and build some of the biggest and most luxurious houses to live in, like England under the days of Elizabeth I.

The idea of a high standard of living in the West applies mainly to middle class living and that, too, is slowly being eroded because of the state of their economy. The variety of choices in lifestyle may appeal to us, brought up in an Anglo-Saxon environment but to a Chinese, nothing beats a movie or live show shown in Chinese, buy things which are designed with their characteristics in mind.

We may marvel at the many things we can get from the Internet, all hosted by the west, mainly in the US. But the Chinese seems to have their own World Wide Web with different things that appeal to them. How really comfortable are they to live for long in a foreign non-Chinese land, I have my doubt.

Last edited:

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i think he sent him to the UK boarding school not because he actually didn't trust the china education system but more as bragging rights. Why did his son broadcast it to the world? Cos it's a way of showing off. Getting educated abroad especially in the west is in some ways seen as a status symbol.

This, I totally agree with you. Not only Chinese, Singkies as well.

maozedong

Alfrescian
Loyal
In that case, he is really stupid. He forgot the Chinese idiom "树大招风". Don't be too outstanding or you will attract unwanted attention. In a country where millions are still living in poverty, it's really stupid for a top politician to flaunt his wealth - or allow his son to do it in the Internet of all places, and even on TV (his son even did a TV interview about his time overseas). Some people are now saying his youngest son was the one which caused his downfall, and not his wife.

An aside: When I first saw Bo Xilai's face on TV many years ago when he was mayor of Dalian, I thought there was something not right about him, because there was a certain brashness and shallowness about his face. Compare his face with Hu Jingtao, Wen Jiabao, Xi Jinping and you will see what I see. The others are difficult to read. Inscrutable. They are deep, while Bo's isn't.

Last edited:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In that case, he is really stupid. He forgot the Chinese idiom "树大招风". Don't be too outstanding or you will attract unwanted attention. In a country where millions are still living in poverty, it's really stupid for a politician to flaunt his wealth - or allow his son to do it in the Internet of all places, and even on TV (his son even did a TV interview about his time overseas). Some people are now saying his youngest son was the one which caused his downfall, and not his wife.

An aside: When I first saw Bo Xilai's face on TV many years ago when he was mayor of Dalian, I thought there was something not right about him, because there was a certain brashness and shallowness about his face. Compare his face with Hu Jingtao, Wen Jiabao, Xi Jinping and you will see what I see. The others are difficult to read. Inscrutable. They are deep, while Bo's isn't.

well bragging and showing off is part of human nature and his son's folly was showing it on the net. Kind of hard to actually keep another person in check if you know what i mean. I mean i'm sure he must have spoilt his kids rotten just like most parents with lots of wealth.

AndroAsc

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do not underestimate the USA. In spite of all its financial problems today, the USA is fundamentally in a better shape than China. It's land mass is roughly of the same size as China but it's population only less than one quarter of China. It still has a lot of land undeveloped and a lot of resources untapped. It's agricultural output is enough to feed all its people (if they don't eat like pigs). If there is a world war today, the people in USA will not starve if there is more equitable distribution of resources. However, there is no denying that USA is a falling superpower. Once the USD loses its Petrodollar status, it's game over for the US because it will no longer be able to finance its military. But there is a Chinese saying: a dying camel is still stronger than a horse.

Also, do not underestimate the "blood" ties of the Anglo-Saxon world, i.e. English speaking countries, UK, USA, Australia, NZ and Canada. They may see each other as one of themselves in a world conflict. It may well be a Clash of the Civilizations as per Samuel Huntington. So there will be blocs - and the most likely leader of the western world will still be the USA. Possible that it could be Germany but unlikely because of its past. Whatever it is, it won't be a China-dominated unipolar world - China also does not harbor such ambition.

Yeah, right... I agree that it will not be a China-dominated unipolar world for a while, since even dying superpowers take a while to die out. Look at UK, superpower from centuries ago, still going quite strong. But "China does not harbor such ambition" you got to be kidding me!!! They have already started their economic war against the US since 5 years ago, whether or not they engineered the 2008 crash or just jumped on the opportunity to screw US I do not know, but the first shot has been fired!!!

Please... I have interacted with Americans and China Chinese, and I can tell you that China people are bunch of racist, xenophobic pricks who believe they are racially and culturally superior to everyone out there. More so, if you are of yellow skin and do not worship their corrupt chinese culture. And yes, I am a Singaporean Chinese, so this is not some minority racist rant. On the other hand, American society is inherently multi-racial and multi-cultural, and they are very open and not racists. Yes, they may be white-dominated, and yes there are rednecks in some regions in the US, but on the whole the educated US population is much better to deal with that China Chinese population.

In the short term, i.e. with our life time, China's ambition will be to capture the entire Asia continent. Conquering US military is out of the question, which is why they have begun their economic warfare against the US, which I believe is to wear them down over the next century or so, and maybe engineer an event to screw them real bad when they are down on their feet (i.e. what US did to Russia in the Cold War by manipulating oil prices). Unlike Anglo-Saxon way of spreading out their influence (invading and conquering), China will most likely do it in a more subtle manner (through economic strongarm tactics and other "diplomatic" options). This is evident from their energy deals with the middle eastern countries, and call to wean off nations from the USD. Call it whatever you want, but it is just as bad. Also, they have been building up their military, and focusing on anti-US technologies (i.e. anti-carrier cruise missiles). You think they do that for fun? They want to establish a hegemony in the Asia region. If they have it their way, all of Asia will be under their influence, and you Sinkies will be worshiping Mao Zedong and speaking chinese as your main language. Oh wait... the latter has already happened in Sinkapore. Therefore, we need containment. And the only power strong enough to contain China is India and Japan.

China is making a concerted, coordinated, but subtle and long-term effort to undermine US from all angles to effectively neutralize them (without conquest - because they know they can't match US military might), and they must be stopped!!! If there is no US to counterbalance them, the future will be very bleak indeed

Last edited:

maozedong

Alfrescian
Loyal
You guys still don't get it. The US and China are really arch enemies in spite of all the friendly appearances. Although they are not in a Cold War like the former USSR, can you imagine USSR President Brezhnev sending his daughter to study Bachelors in the USA? China is an aspiring world superpower and an enemy of the USA. It isn't a US ally or any other country. Something isn't right if the top leaders in China send their children to do Bachelors' or to boarding schools in US and UK, and worst brag about it. Corrupt to the core. Where's the national pride? The US is your enemy and not your friend (directed at Chinese top leaders).

well bragging and showing off is part of human nature and his son's folly was showing it on the net. Kind of hard to actually keep another person in check if you know what i mean. I mean i'm sure he must have spoilt his kids rotten just like most parents with lots of wealth.

Last edited:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You guys still don't get it. The US and China are really arch enemies in spite of all the friendly appearances. Although they are not in a Cold War like the former USSR, can you imagine USSR President Brezhnev sending his daughter to study Bachelors in the USA? China is an aspiring world superpower and an enemy of the USA. It isn't a US ally or any other country. Something isn't right if the top leaders in China send their children to do Bachelors' or to boarding schools in US and UK, and worst brag about it. Corrupt to the core. Where's the national pride? The US is your enemy and not your friend (directed at Chinese top leaders).

who actually knows the reason as to why they send their kids to US schools. Frankly the china govt should have imposed restrcitions unto senior members and their family members movements within and outside the country but they didn't. It's speculation that these ppl send them to these schools cos they are prestigious and since they can afford to pay for them why not.

Prometheus888

Alfrescian
Loyal
who actually knows the reason as to why they send their kids to US schools. Frankly the china govt should have imposed restrcitions unto senior members and their family members movements within and outside the country but they didn't. It's speculation that these ppl send them to these schools cos they are prestigious and since they can afford to pay for them why not.

This was the gangrenous rot I mentioned that the Chinese leadership had yet to arrest. If China was to get their act together I would recommend that they do 2 simple things. Get their tax system and the strict enforcement of those taxes in order and secondly, for them to get appointed a truly elite anti corruption unit to investigate and prosecute all instances of corruption. If they dont and allow for their culture of corruption to sink deep roots in and strangle their country then america will still be the dominant force for many years to come.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You guys still don't get it. The US and China are really arch enemies in spite of all the friendly appearances.

Exactly the reason why you should send your people to study in the US. 自己自彼百战百胜。I believe not only is it officially allowed, it is even encouraged.

Last edited:

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi Ah Fook,,the way i see it is the rich want to stash their wealth somewhere else,,have many 'storage depots' around the world. Look at the amount of rich chinese buying private jets? sales have increased outshining the USA and Europe.

In Oz Land,,I see more and more mainlanders coming here,,buying small businesses and starting small business like restaurants etc. Their food is not good, and business is shit,but they do it as its part of their investment visa, criteria. These businesses are loosing money but they can afford it,,as its a 200K AUD lost but they get a visa for 4 ppl..to them that is cheap,,,

So how come they are willing to do it to end up in Oz? the same situation is in USA etc,,,they do want to get out,,,there is also this chap i know,,go china often to see gf,,and his gf always ask him when can bring her over to Oz,,,he dont want of course,,,

many stories like this,,also same for Philippines,,,want to get out of their country,,

I see two reasons here. The people leave are not the super rich but people who can afford or have the means to send their children overseas for their education. The super-rich are rich enough to have investments overseas to be looked after. What better person to put than one's son or daughter to take charge of such operation?

The high standard of living in the West is a myth especially if you have the money you can live much better in China or another developing country. You can employ an army of servants to look after your every whim and build some of the biggest and most luxurious houses to live in, like England under the days of Elizabeth I.

The idea of a high standard of living in the West applies mainly to middle class living and that, too, is slowly being eroded because of the state of their economy. The variety of choices in lifestyle may appeal to us, brought up in an Anglo-Saxon environment but to a Chinese, nothing beats a movie or live show shown in Chinese, buy things which are designed with their characteristics in mind.

We may marvel at the many things we can get from the Internet, all hosted by the west, mainly in the US. But the Chinese seems to have their own World Wide Web with different things that appeal to them. How really comfortable are they to live for long in a foreign non-Chinese land, I have my doubt.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You guys still don't get it. The US and China are really arch enemies in spite of all the friendly appearances.

You talked as if engaging in a battle for economic dominance is like engaging in a military battle, I win, you lose.

Both sides know the importance of the other's market and they want the most unimpeded access. So US's most favoured trading nation to China is a very important catch. Also free access to Chinese market and manufacturing base is a key US target.

Behind this, the key objective is to grow their economies and bring jobs to their people. Economic battle must take a back seat to that.

Last edited:

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi Ah Fook,,the way i see it is the rich want to stash their wealth somewhere else,,have many 'storage depots' around the world. Look at the amount of rich chinese buying private jets? sales have increased outshining the USA and Europe.

If you are rich enough, you would also wish to spread your wealth all over the globe. The Chinese are not the first to do it. The Americans do it, the Europeans too and the rich Asians. And there are many reasons why. To stash it where the tax is the lowest or simply to diversify your investments to achieve higher asset security. If your money is not very clean or if you come from a tax regime that taxes world wide income, you may wish to put your wealth in storage depots where there is supreme privacy.

Regarding the prominent spending of super rich Chinese, where else can they splash their wealth this way - private jets, fast cars with the freedom to enjoy them? Some of these appeal to all ages while fast cars may appeal more to the young. Buying branded goods - handbags, watches, clothings etc are very much a part of the scene in China itself and not something you need to hide.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You cant deny the facts that Jackie is born in china until now he still think highly of china . The facts that Everyone wants that island its because of oil, mineral, and fishing rights in surrounding waters.

You are wrong. Jackie was born in Hongkong and started life as a British HongKong subject. His parents arrived from Shangdong which is not much different from many people in Hongkong whose parents fled China after the communists took over.

Last edited:

BlueBrother

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is cold war thinking. You spend, I spend more, then you spend more and I spend more.... when will this end. Next you will find a country like Singapore also spending like crazy buying more weapons, aircraft & ships. The budget is better use for education, health and infrastructure. Hope Japan has the sense to not go down this road. Do you think China will increase their defence spending when you see Japan spending more ? Definitely. Unfortunately the next Chinese President is pushing the army to get prepared for a real war. I hate this kind of spending.