• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What Difference? HDB 99 years and Private Condo 99 years?

cocobobo

Alfrescian
Loyal
So many mass-market condos today. I live in condo. Some of my friends too, while many still live in hdb. Yet the only ones bragging among us are the ones with debt fully settled, mostly hdb.

In my opinion, a very justified brag.

Living in a condo has so many advantages

Better fit & finish. One can move in without doing any renovations. One thing that I find ugly about HDB units, is the exposed pipes.
HDB limits appliances to 12 amps. In condos you can use 13 amps appliances. You are also limited to what renovations you can do.
Parking space is usually provided. So you don't have to fight for it.
Condo management is there to serve the residents while the town council is there to impose rules & regulations which you have no input.
Better security. Spore is no longer as safe with so many from the 3rd world running rampant.
Lifts stopping at every floor. You don't have to wait for an election year where the PAP uses lift upgrading as a reward for loyalty.
It is easier to buy, sell, & rent a condo compared to HDB units.

I would say that most of those staying in condos just want less hassle & not to brag.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
40 years of HDB con and swindle and still no one on this forum can answer this TS's question. Sinkies are damn pathetic, they deserved to get fucked by the PAP.

The answer to the TS question is that one is a form of ownership and the other is a long term rental agreement.

A leasehold 99 year private condo means that the improvements on the land (the whole building itself) belongs to the owners of the individual units but the land belongs to someone else. In singapore's case, some private condo land is owned by the govt. and some are owned by the various private land development companies. At the expiration of the 99 year lease, the land reverts back to the landowner, with or without the improvements, depending on how the lease is written. If the land reverts back without improvements, the owners of the units have to demolish the building and give the land back to the owner in the condition it was first leased out. This will all be negotiated in the lease. The advantage with the leasehold is that owners actually own the physical unit they live in. If all the owners decide to do a self-enbloc, they can in theory tear the building down and build a higher density (taller) building with more units and sell it. The new buyers will have the balance of the 99 years original lease.

For a HDB flat, the 99 years refer to lease agreement, not a leasehold. Its no different that if you lease a car for 5 years. You don't own it, you are just renting it for the long term. Except in the case of the HDB lease, the HDB requires you to prepay for rent 99 years in advance. normally when you rent a flat, it is usually for a 1 year term and each month's rent is paid when its due. You would never agree to pay a flat rental 1 year in advance, yet people willingly pay for their HDB flat 99 years in advance.

The difference lies in other areas too. For example, HDB has no intention of honouring their 99 year lease. The quality of the construction does not allow it to last for 99 years. Also, HDB has so many clauses in their lease agreement that they can easily move you out before 99 years on the pretext that they are tearing down your block and move you into more expensive newer "upgraded" flats through SERS. This is usually not possible in a leasehold private condo because the law is quite specific on this part, and since the landowner does not own the building, he cannot force the owners to move out and tear it down for a higher density building.

I hope this clears up the TS's question.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The difference between a 99 years condo and HDB are quite clear-and mostly lies in the managing and use of the estate.

However in terms of environment, I find staying in a HDB block with only 5 room/executive flats(without common corridors) not much difference from the lower end condos (which cost at least twice as much ).Its not meaningful to compare a 3 room HDB block with a condo as they attract different types of occupants .

The more pertinent question for me would be -is it worth paying more than double to stay in a (generally smaller) low end condo compared to a HDB 5 room/executive ?

At todays pricing its not worth it-just think of how many more years you must work to pay off the extra $600,000 to $700,000 loan.
This is more so if the condo is old-many are more than 25 years old.

If you are not getting financing-the choice is clear-condo.

Last edited:

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sir, you are a very intelligent man to be able to figure out correctly, ups you.

40 years of HDB con and swindle and still no one on this forum can answer this TS's question. Sinkies are damn pathetic, they deserved to get fucked by the PAP.

The answer to the TS question is that one is a form of ownership and the other is a long term rental agreement.

A leasehold 99 year private condo means that the improvements on the land (the whole building itself) belongs to the owners of the individual units but the land belongs to someone else. In singapore's case, some private condo land is owned by the govt. and some are owned by the various private land development companies. At the expiration of the 99 year lease, the land reverts back to the landowner, with or without the improvements, depending on how the lease is written. If the land reverts back without improvements, the owners of the units have to demolish the building and give the land back to the owner in the condition it was first leased out. This will all be negotiated in the lease. The advantage with the leasehold is that owners actually own the physical unit they live in. If all the owners decide to do a self-enbloc, they can in theory tear the building down and build a higher density (taller) building with more units and sell it. The new buyers will have the balance of the 99 years original lease.

For a HDB flat, the 99 years refer to lease agreement, not a leasehold. Its no different that if you lease a car for 5 years. You don't own it, you are just renting it for the long term. Except in the case of the HDB lease, the HDB requires you to prepay for rent 99 years in advance. normally when you rent a flat, it is usually for a 1 year term and each month's rent is paid when its due. You would never agree to pay a flat rental 1 year in advance, yet people willingly pay for their HDB flat 99 years in advance.

The difference lies in other areas too. For example, HDB has no intention of honouring their 99 year lease. The quality of the construction does not allow it to last for 99 years. Also, HDB has so many clauses in their lease agreement that they can easily move you out before 99 years on the pretext that they are tearing down your block and move you into more expensive newer "upgraded" flats through SERS. This is usually not possible in a leasehold private condo because the law is quite specific on this part, and since the landowner does not own the building, he cannot force the owners to move out and tear it down for a higher density building.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
they can even demolished the whole estate as the like if you voted opposition, take Hillview Ave Estate for example.

Cant believe the Hillview Ave voters gave them a chance to repent but they betrayed them. PAP are sick people.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
but HDB i cannot experience the beauty of the white sparkling water of bora bora island like glistening drops of perrier water,i cannot feel the tranquility as i feel the breeze that comes thru my condo windows just like the breeze that flows thru the nape of my neck as i run across the fields of gold on the plains of africa.....

i cannot listen to new age music and contemplate the beauty of the deep blue sea and calls of the whales cause my hdb got no swimming pool.

[video=youtube;y1gIz0Ef-7Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1gIz0Ef-7Y[/video]

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

If you don't own the land, you don't really own anything.

I would love to own a piece of land, a title deed to my name, and build my castle upon it.

I laugh at some of the new mass market condos too: horrible cheesy names and equally cheesy advertisements which always show a happy family prancing about on a lush green meadow, a shopaholic woman carrying bags from her retail therapy, or a glamorous couple sharing some wine with fireworks in the background. :rolleyes:

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
at night i cannot sip my charbinon blanc and listen to bossa nova and contemplate the melancholy of life and love....

these are the only experiences a condo can provide.

anyone can let me stay at their condo?

[video=youtube;UmrnOGvaTKI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmrnOGvaTKI[/video]

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
they can even demolished the whole estate as the like if you voted opposition, take Hillview Ave Estate for example.

Cant believe the Hillview Ave voters gave them a chance to repent but they betrayed them. PAP are sick people.

Sick and vindictive, just like the Old Bastard.

However, none are sicker than those who worship him, his party and his ideas.

In Singapore, you'll also have to deal with the Land Acquisition Act.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
at night i cannot sip my charbinon blanc and listen to bossa nova and contemplate the melancholy of life and love....

these are the only experiences a condo can provide.

anyone can let me stay at their condo?

[video=youtube;UmrnOGvaTKI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmrnOGvaTKI[/video]

anyone can share what its like to live in a condo?

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
anyone can share what its like to live in a condo?

Human beings are funny creatures. When you dont have, you crave and desire for it. When you have, you neglect it.

When I moved to a condo in the 80s, everynight go for a swim. Play tennis. After 3-4 months, these activitues stopped.

Moved to a place near a beach. Walking distance. Bought bicycle the day moved in, planning to cycle along the beach. After 2 months, gave up. Too lazy.

blindswordsman

Alfrescian
Loyal
So true.
My new shoes were stolen after leaving it outside a friend's hdb flat.

I have friends who's pandan leaves were stolen.

You leave a cheap ikea chair outside your house for a few hours; its gone.

The rag and bone ah tiong took them away. Caught one ah tiong doing it.

hockbeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
So many mass-market condos today. I live in condo. Some of my friends too, while many still live in hdb. Yet the only ones bragging among us are the ones with debt fully settled, mostly hdb.

In my opinion, a very justified brag.

To settle one's debt in a low interest rate environment for the past 6 yrs is just stupid.

hockbeng

Alfrescian
Loyal

Everyone know's this lah.
At least most do.

It's just that no one can be bothered to type out such a long response over an annonymous sex forum like this.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Even the HDB lift upgrading program is not what it's cracked up to be. Because they installed the cheaper Sigma lifts, breakdowns are frequent. The new lifts are also noisy and hot inside.

Could have at least installed a trusty Fujitec lift. :rolleyes:

If you live in those newer 30+ floor flats you will curse the PAP everytime the lift breaks down.