• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Water level of river - cause of flood?

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Due to the recent flooding, I take a keen interest into the causes. So, start noticing the water level of the Geylang river seems to be constant whenever I passed by at Dakota Creasant, it's about 3 to 4 ft below the river bank during fine weather. As we know, it flows into the Marina Barrage, so tide has no bearing.

Why is it kept at so high, when the depth of the river as can be seen from further up is at least 10 feet? Perhaps some of you could contribute and observe about the other rivers that flow into the barrage, what is the water level?

Flood aside, today, decided to travel down towards junction of Mountbatten road, saw a women cursing at a Thai guy for using a trawler net to catch fishes while she uses a hook and sink! Lucky for me, as the Thai is calling it a day, and he hull in his last catch of about 20 to 30 fishes of reasonable size while the women hook up a finger size Ikan Billis.

Anyway just to cheer those that are misplaced by FTs, surprisingly you still can live off the land in Singapore. Just like the Thai guy, use your initiatives, whether or not is it legal to use the trawling net, I suppose bringing food to the table is far more important!

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
As suspected, it looks like there is something very wrong with the drainage system.

The marina CB barrage must be pried open and investigated, and also all the smaller canals and how they interlink. Must definitely explore and poke around to get to the problem.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sea water level don't have the impact of the flood. IF sea level the one cause the problem. Whole Singapore island will flood at the same level from the sea water level.
The problem is the drainage maybe
1. Block-because of rubbish...
2. Diverted- contruction- some even worst divert with smaller size less than 50% original
3. Poor planing - drain not flow from high ground to low ground
4. Poor management- never pump water out/release water from reservoir before heavy rain expected
5. Release the water from the level reservoir eg. few reservoir in Macritchie, Upper & lower Peirce when heavy rain.

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
They want the inland longkang to be constantly filled with water.
Longkang without water does not looks nice.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Last week my friend caught 3 luo han and 1 snakehead at the Geylang river.

Loa han I dont surprise because many release into canal/longkang. For snake head/Tomman really surrprise. Snake head and lau han will eat all fish in the water.