• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Warning: Install HOLA at your OWN risk

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There are no adverse effects from using Hola.

That's rubbish. A peer-to-peer VPN functions as a giant botnet. The risks of any botnet are well-known:

1. Data breach
2. Identity theft
3. Peddling pooled bandwidth to third parties for commercial gain.

Hola is guilty of (3), maybe even (1) and (2). Trust the Jews.

The risks are definitely not worth the free IP cover that the VPN provides.

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
You're getting dumb and dumber.

The architecture is explained in the FAQ, but nowhere does it say that they're selling your bandwidth. Remember, your computer is part of the botnet, so your bandwidth goes into a common pool as well, where the commercial potential lies. That's stealing and fraud, so typical of the money-grubbing jowdies.

I'm not jealous of the Jews, trust me. There are some Jewish individuals that I admire, but they have many traits as a race that I despise. By the way, my IQ is way higher than the average Jew. Just so, if being smart equates with using your brains to cheat people of their money, then I don't want that kind of smarts. :smile:

Bandwidth is always a common pool. That's the business model of ALL hosting companies and ISPs.

Same applies to virtual servers when it comes to processing resources.

Your self proclamation of superior intelligence is obviously negated by your naivete with regards to the way the world operates. :rolleyes:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
The risks are definitely not worth the free IP cover that the VPN provides.

If you're paranoid, DON'T USE IT.

Everyone has their own criteria when it comes to risk assessment. Yours is obviously clouded by emotion rather than logic.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bandwidth is always a common pool. That's the business model of ALL hosting companies and ISPs.

Subtle but critical difference (might be beyond your ken though):

When you pay for bandwidth from your ISP, your bandwidth comes from a common pool. In other words, it's not allocated specifically to you. That's all right, if you know the terms.

When you join a peer-to-peer network, your paid ISP bandwidth forms part of that network's total bandwidth. If someone taps into it and offers it to a third party for money without your/other members' knowledge, that's bandwidth theft. And prosecutable.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you're paranoid, DON'T USE IT.

Everyone has their own criteria when it comes to risk assessment. Yours is obviously clouded by emotion rather than logic.

1. Have never used Hola, will never use Hola. Was speaking on behalf of other victims of the unscrupulous Shylocks.

2. Rest assured that the risk-benefit analysis based on my own criteria was performed with my head, not heart. :smile:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Subtle but critical difference (might be beyond your ken though):

When you pay for bandwidth from your ISP, your bandwidth comes from a common pool. In other words, it's not allocated specifically to you. That's all right, if you know the terms.

When you join a peer-to-peer network, your paid ISP bandwidth forms part of that network's total bandwidth. If someone taps into it and offers it to a third party for money without your/other members' knowledge, that's bandwidth theft. And prosecutable.

Use 200Gb per day for 5 days and your site will suddenly disappear from cyberspace and you'll get an email telling you, in no uncertain terms, that you have exceeded your bandwidth allocation and your hosting account has been suspended pending payment for the bandwidth that you were not entitled to even though your plan said "unlimited".

If you want to talk about misrepresentation, it does not get any better than that and ALL hosting companies do it.

Reddog

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just two, twit.

1. Conning you into thinking that you're getting a 'free' VPN when they're actually using your computer for a botnet – exposing it all kinds of risk.

2. Giving you 'free' bandwidth and then selling the gifted bandwidth to others. Like giving you a watch, and then taking it back and hocking it when you're not looking.

As I say, what d'ya expect from the stinkin' Shylocks?

Did you forget what John Tan's father said? "Nothing is for free", twit.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Use 200Gb per day for 5 days and your site will suddenly disappear from cyberspace and you'll get an email telling you, in no uncertain terms, that you have exceeded your bandwidth allocation and your hosting account has been suspended pending payment for the bandwidth that you were not entitled to even though your plan said "unlimited".

If you want to talk about misrepresentation, it does not get any better than that and ALL hosting companies do it.

Well, that may be in the 'fine print'. If it's very, very fine, it's a grey area when it comes to misrepresentation.

I once signed a data plan with Vodafone for my kid in England - packaged as unlimited SMS for students. In very small print at the bottom of the form, it says that 'unlimited' refers to a maximum of 4,000 SMSes a month. When I questioned the salesman, he said hardly anyone in the UK exceeds 4,000 SMSes a month. But my kid's S'porean friends all hit 5,000 to 6,000 SMSes mthly. (That was back in the pre-Watsapp days.)

But bandwidth theft is theft. Period.

dancingshoes

Alfrescian
Loyal
i think it's good that hola utilise us as their botnets. cos' even if you are caught doing something illegal, you can simply deny it cos' it's botnet, anybody that share your bandwidth can be a suspect...what do you say?

Najibee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Stop using the HOLA VPN right now .

May 29, 2015, 5:40pm CT

Stop using the Hola VPN right now

If you’re using Hola, a free virtual private network (VPN) that lets you stream things like Netflix abroad, you need to stop immediately. The company behind Hola is turning your computer into a node on a botnet, and selling your network to anyone who is willing to pay.

Security researchers discovered multiple security flaws in Hola and published their findings on a site called “Adios Hola.”

“Hola is harmful to the internet as a whole, and to its users in particular,” researchers wrote.

So what’s the big deal? By using Hola as a VPN, you can view any content that might otherwise be blocked in your location by routing your traffic through the U.S. or whatever country you want your content to be in. But Hola turns your computer into an exit node without your permission, essentially letting anyone browse the Web through your network. Any malicious activity could then be traced back to you.

As the researchers note, it’s the same problem people have on the Tor browser—but on Tor, you can opt out.

Hola is going even further, by selling access to the network through a site called Luminati from $1.45 to $20 per GB. On Adios Hola, researchers published chat logs between them and the company explaining that they don’t enforce rules that say people shouldn’t be engaging in illegal activity because the company has “no idea what you are doing on our platform.”

Additionally, Hola can let someone take over programs on your computer. The researchers explain:

And on some systems, it gets worse; Hola will happily run whatever you feed it as the 'SYSTEM' user. What this means in simple terms, is that somebody can completely compromise your system, beyond any repair. It allows for installing things like a rootkit, for example.

This problem is not just an 'oversight'. It's not a thing where you say 'well, bugs can happen'. This kind of security issue can only happen if a developer is either grossly incompetent, or simply doesn't care about the security of their users. It's negligence, plain and simple, and there's no excuse for it.

If you haven’t already, uninstall Hola right now. And if you’re not sure whether or not you’re vulnerable thanks to Hola, you can visit the site to find out. http://adios-hola.org

http://www.dailydot.com/technology/hola-vpn-security/?tw=dd