• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Walter Woon Cheong Ming (Professor) is upset

SBFNews

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Straits Times reported that Singapore was ranked first globally in terms of volume of bottled water consumed (S’pore is top bottled water consumer, spender per capita: UN think-tank report, March 23). This is an environmental crime.

Some major perpetrators are the restaurants that refuse to serve tap water, unlike restaurants in the past, but insist instead that customers buy bottled water, typically in plastic bottles.

My wife and I had tea on Thursday at a restaurant in Orchard Road. When I asked for water, the waiter, and later his supervisor, told me they did not serve tap water. Instead, I was asked to buy bottled water, shipped from Italy, priced at $5. I declined, not because of the price but on principle.

This was not the only example of such behaviour. A few months ago, my wife, son and granddaughter had lunch at a restaurant at Jewel Changi Airport. When my wife asked for a cup of warm water for the toddler, the manager refused. He insisted that they buy bottled water for the child.

The tap water in Singapore is perfectly drinkable. We spend billions to ensure that this is so.

In Japan and England, we were served tap water without even asking for it. There is no reason why it cannot be done here.

To justify their behaviour, restaurateurs come up with all kinds of excuses. We were told on Thursday that if they served us tap water, they would have to do it for everyone. But that is precisely what should be happening. We were also told that it was the building management’s policy; even if true, this is merely deflecting blame.

Some say that they cannot provide water, but any restaurant with washing-up facilities has a tap. Among the worst offenders are those that filter tap water through an electricity-guzzling machine, bottle it and charge a hefty price, pretending that it is environmentally friendly. This is just price-gouging.

In their quest to squeeze the last drop of profit from customers, these restaurants are damaging the environment. For the sake of future generations, this irresponsible, short-sighted profit-at-all-costs attitude must stop. While I would prefer that they do so voluntarily, regulations should be put in place if needed.

Walter Woon Cheong Ming (Professor)

https://www.straitstimes.com/opinion/forum/forum-time-to-end-no-free-water-policy-of-restaurants

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why is my favourite Prof upset ? :biggrin:

Restaurants Managers got eyes
dont know Tarzan iszzit ??? :tongue:

Screenshot_2023-05-20-15-43-29-727-edit_com.android.chrome.jpg

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why Fatty Woon cannot part with just s$5.00/- ???

he can counter offer to pay s$5 for the tap water ...even s$10/- ...so rich , keep all his money for what thing :tongue:

Orchard road area rental bottled water at s$5 consider cheap

if want cheaper then must go to Tuas area hor ...:tongue:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It’s against the ambiance of an atas eating place if you are not drinking carbonated Pellegrino or Evian.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In Japan and England, we were served tap water without even asking for it. There is no reason why it cannot be done here.

If you had served NS and quenched your thirst from jerry cans, then tasted filtered water afterwards, you will know the reason why. :cool:

The Straits Times reported that Singapore was ranked first globally in terms of volume of bottled water consumed

I thought it is common knowledge by now. Naturally the Shitty Times propagandists saw it fit to portray that as a source of patriotic pride. :biggrin:

memorable-NDP-moments-4.jpg
20210827FSImage1.jpg
st_20160809_ndp2002_2482417.jpg

cocobobo

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Straits Times reported that Singapore was ranked first globally in terms of volume of bottled water consumed (S’pore is top bottled water consumer, spender per capita: UN think-tank report, March 23). This is an environmental crime.

Some major perpetrators are the restaurants that refuse to serve tap water, unlike restaurants in the past, but insist instead that customers buy bottled water, typically in plastic bottles.

My wife and I had tea on Thursday at a restaurant in Orchard Road. When I asked for water, the waiter, and later his supervisor, told me they did not serve tap water. Instead, I was asked to buy bottled water, shipped from Italy, priced at $5. I declined, not because of the price but on principle.
Important point hor

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal

This was not the only example of such behaviour. A few months ago, my wife, son and granddaughter had lunch at a restaurant at Jewel Changi Airport. When my wife asked for a cup of warm water for the toddler, the manager refused. He insisted that they buy bottled water for the child.

The tap water in Singapore is perfectly drinkable. We spend billions to ensure that this is so.

To justify their behaviour, restaurateurs come up with all kinds of excuses. We were told on Thursday that if they served us tap water, they would have to do it for everyone. But that is precisely what should be happening. We were also told that it was the building management’s policy; even if true, this is merely deflecting blame.

Some say that they cannot provide water, but any restaurant with washing-up facilities has a tap. Among the worst offenders are those that filter tap water through an electricity-guzzling machine, bottle it and charge a hefty price, pretending that it is environmentally friendly. This is just price-gouging.

In their quest to squeeze the last drop of profit from customers, these restaurants are damaging the environment. For the sake of future generations, this irresponsible, short-sighted profit-at-all-costs attitude must stop. While I would prefer that they do so voluntarily, regulations should be put in place if needed.

Walter Woon Cheong Ming (Professor)

https://www.straitstimes.com/opinion/forum/forum-time-to-end-no-free-water-policy-of-restaurants
But our Jiuhu Small Big Balls will be angry De...