• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Wah Tiu's Pride : BYD Seal taken apart by Japan to learn about the 'future EV leader' design philosophy

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
All the foundations are in place. It's just a matter of getting to the point where interventions are hardly ever necessary and crashes are few and far between. It will never be perfect but it will be many orders safer than a human.
yah foundations are in place. But it is not there yet no matter what the con artist calls it.

FYI, Tesla is currently ranked #7. The only other bigger bullshitter in terms of safety is Volvo sitting at #11.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...riving-assistance-systems-review-a2103632203/

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tesla has 4 million cars coaching its FSD modules and this number will increase exponentially.

It will take a long time before competitors catch up if ever.

This x post does a good job of summarising how FSD learns.

This is AI operating in a real world environment.

go and buy one and then I'll listen to you. Until then, it's all hearsay on your part.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
go and buy one and then I'll listen to you. Until then, it's all hearsay on your part.

I have a 2021 Model 3 but without FSD. Auto pilot alone is fantastic. I would estimate that auto pilot has saved 100x more lives than it has taken.

The media hates Musk because he doesn't play by their rules so almost every article about Tesla is a hit piece.

I too didn't think much of him or his cars in the early days. My opinion changed when Space X showed the world that rockets didn't have to be discarded after a single launch.

Since then I have ignored MSM articles about Tesla and all its failings and done my own research which is why I bought a slightly used Tesla a couple of years ago. While the fit and finish is not as immaculate as my Toyotas the fact that it can pretty much drive itself just on auto pilot more than makes up for the cosmetic deficiencies. With a Tesla you can afford to be 50% less attentive as to what is going on around you. If the traffic comes to an unexpected stop my Tesla will take care of things for me.

Last edited:

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
I only need driving assistance on highways as during long drives, you tend to get sleepy and drowsy. Not in towns.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
yah foundations are in place. But it is not there yet no matter what the con artist calls it.

FYI, Tesla is currently ranked #7. The only other bigger bullshitter in terms of safety is Volvo sitting at #11.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...riving-assistance-systems-review-a2103632203/

I can assure you that the article is not accurate. It is describing nothing more than intelligent cruise control with lane assist. Tesla's auto pilot does far more than keep the car in lane at a safe distance from the one ahead.

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have a 2021 Model 3 but without FSD. Auto pilot alone is fantastic. I would estimate that auto pilot has saved 100x more lives than it has taken.

The media hates Musk because he doesn't play by their rules so almost every article about Tesla is a hit piece.
on the contrary. I've found that the media panders to the "real life Tony Stark." :confused:
I too didn't think much of him or his cars in the early days. My opinion changed when Space X showed the world that rockets didn't have to be discarded after a single launch.
SpaceX is the fluke exception to his rule of hyperinflating companies. Apparently, because of the CEO in charge. (Hint : It's not run by a megalomaniac.) Long ago, I documented the fraudulent behaviour involved in his previous businesses. This includes faking their autopilot promotional video. The only surprise to me that he can get away with it for so long. Suffice to say, SpaceX is the anomaly. A good typical example is Solarcity. Took gahmen funds and dropped the ball with betaware. If someone on the planet deserves the title of greatest showman it is this guy,
Since then I have ignored MSM articles about Tesla and all its failings and done my own research which is why I bought a slightly used Tesla a couple of years ago. While the fit and finish is not as immaculate as my Toyotas the fact that it can pretty much drive itself just on auto pilot more than makes up for the cosmetic deficiencies. With a Tesla you can afford to be 50% less attentive as to what is going on around you. If the traffic comes to an unexpected stop my Tesla will take care of things for me.

And I ignore fluff pieces by Tesla-stans. I use my first and foremost avenue vis-a-vis my own eyes, ears and butt. And with that I tell you a Tesla is cardboard garbage. The quality equivalent of Hyundai 20 years ago. And unfortunately only unloved lonely idiots (not you, but Tesla-stans in general) love Teslas. Tesla's level 3 autonomy is not safe. Not 6 sigma safe. It is safe a decent percentage of the time. Try applying that to an airplane and see whether it should fly. The 737 Max 8 is about as safe. Only the 737s failures are more catastrophic.

In any case, I view my activism as a public service. If you feel the opposite, please enjoy your karmic returns.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
I guess no more fast and furious movies with all these EV's too heavy for stunts.

BMW future EV design

BMW Vision Neue Klasse – the look of future BMWs?

The BMW Group has launched a new design concept that aims to define the next generation of vehicles for its core BMW brand. Named the BMW Vision Neue Klasse, the vehicle is a representation of the company’s ambitions in electrification, digitalization, and sustainability

Last edited:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
on the contrary. I've found that the media panders to the "real life Tony Stark." :confused:

SpaceX is the fluke exception to his rule of hyperinflating companies. Apparently, because of the CEO in charge. (Hint : It's not run by a megalomaniac.) Long ago, I documented the fraudulent behaviour involved in his previous businesses. This includes faking their autopilot promotional video. The only surprise to me that he can get away with it for so long. Suffice to say, SpaceX is the anomaly. A good typical example is Solarcity. Took gahmen funds and dropped the ball with betaware. If someone on the planet deserves the title of greatest showman it is this guy,

And I ignore fluff pieces by Tesla-stans. I use my first and foremost avenue vis-a-vis my own eyes, ears and butt. And with that I tell you a Tesla is cardboard garbage. The quality equivalent of Hyundai 20 years ago. And unfortunately only unloved lonely idiots (not you, but Tesla-stans in general) love Teslas. Tesla's level 3 autonomy is not safe. Not 6 sigma safe. It is safe a decent percentage of the time. Try applying that to an airplane and see whether it should fly. The 737 Max 8 is about as safe. Only the 737s failures are more catastrophic.

In any case, I view my activism as a public service. If you feel the opposite, please enjoy your karmic returns.

Exactly the sort of stuff I would have written in 2016.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
there’s a problem with that at either 2-way or 4-way stop signs. heck, there are even 3-way stops at t-junctions and y-junctions. at some 2-way, 3-way, 4-way stops not all lanes have stop signs. there’s a notorious 3-way junction on gill and i880-s off ramp in sj where there are only 2 stop signs. the 880 off ramp has no stop sign and has right of way straight thru’ and left turn. when vehicles are waiting at the 2 stop signs the fsd on tesla will stop for them to cross which is wrong as there’s no stop sign and white line on the off ramp, but fsd sees it as a 3-way stop. as a human driver i can scan around and look for stop signs (octagons) in a complicated unconventional junction above eye level to check if vehicles on other lanes leading to junction have to stop, but the sensors with ai on tesla don’t look for those idiosyncracies and outliers. it has to be supplemented with updated mapping software. updated maps will tell where stop signs are like applemap helping to navigate that notorious sj junction. but not all maps are updated timely and can navigate thru’ wierd non-conventional situations especially in remote and rural areas with hardly any teslas going thru’. what if the other road in the junction has no stop sign and the map is not up to date? tesla fsd stops and moves thinking it’s all clear but fruit truck on the left barrels thru’ as it has no stop sign. it will need a nasty accident to learn which is risky and not optimal. so many times on 101 there’s a tesla on fsd that gets stalled in the middle lane in peak commute, and this is a metro area with multiple lane changes and road reconfigurations where maps don’t catch up in real time, especially the ongoing rework on us-101 and highway 87. if the stupid tesla driver stops using fsd in that location, stalls (that cause accidents) will not happen. too many tesla drivers in sv think they can rely on fsd and play games and do their social media browsing while cruising on the road. one couple was caught fondling and embracing in the back seat in an ev on autonomous drive mode. but the ai in fsd has not caught up with all the outlier and wierd conditions which are now happening more frequently with road sexpansions, reconfigurations, construction detours, hazard signages propping up with little to no notice or warning, etc. many recent accidents in sf where emergency vehicles (police, ambulances, fire trucks) are involved have caused the city to pull back on issuing more licenses for autonomous (non-human driving) vehicles.

on the flip side, when teslas on fsd are required to stop they don’t stop.
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2022/02/tesla-recalls-53822-cars-because-they-wont-stop-at-stop-signs/
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2022/RCAK-22V037-9109.pdf#:~:text=Failing to stop at a stop sign can,Owners may contact Tesla customer service at 1-877-798-3752.
[correction] not sf but state dmv has just pulled the permit on autonomous driving taxis in sf as accidents piled up with the latest leading to a mangled leg of a female pedestrian. the cruise self driving taxi crushed the leg of the pedestrian with one of its tires after running over the woman and braking “in time” to ironically stop right over the woman’s leg. rescue crew had to lift the car up to extract the woman. there goes fsd and autonomous rides in the most tech forgiving and forward looking city.

adding insult to injury, it actually dragged the woman to the curb and stopped its weight on the woman. what a joke as cruise attempts to justify its (autonomous) action:
“The AV braked aggressively before impact and because it detected a collision, it attempted to pull over to avoid further safety issues,” Cruise added. “When the AV tried to pull over, it continued before coming to a final stop, pulling the pedestrian forward. Our thoughts continue to be with the victim as we hope for a rapid and complete recovery.”

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
opinion: i think apple is doing the right thing by over-designing, over-testing, and over-covering every aspect of one’s arse when it cums to autonomous driving. i see their test cars going around cupertino and sunnyvale with drivers inside but not on the steering wheel. better to wait and work out the kinks than rush to market. when they were to finally announce the launch of their vehicle it would be 99% perfect in every way. but may be it will cost $699k. let’s wait until 2026.9.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
update to cal dmv pulling the permit from cruise taxis operating in sf without human drivers. dmv now claims cruise hid the onboard cam video from the initial investigation. the car dragged the pedestrian victim 20 feet in a pullover stunt before it came to a full stop on top of the woman. not just permit pulled, but personnel at cruise may be indicted for hiding evidence.

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal

BYD Seal taken apart by Japan to learn about the 'future EV leader' design philosophy​

BYD_Seal_2023010703.jpg

The new Seal facelift gets a teardown (image: Nikkei BP)
The new Seal facelift gets a teardown (image: Nikkei BP)

After BYD took apart Corollas in days past to see how they are made, it's now Japan's turn to learn about making electric vehicles from China. The largest Japanese publishing house will issue a rather pricey BYD Seal disassembly and surface manual with preface saying that is how the 'future EV leader' does cars.

user posted image

The biggest publishing house in Japan - Nikkei BP - has bought a BYD Seal electric car and taken it apart completely in order to understand the thought process of "the Chinese manufacturer that will lead the world of EVs in the future," according to the preface. The full disassembly and service manual will be released September 15 alongside a video documenting the process.

Called "China BYD SEAL Thoroughly Disassembled (Complete Edition)," the manual consists of 350 pages of disassembly photos, component explanations, and repair guidelines. It is priced at the whopping US$6,340 equivalent, indicating that it is aimed at part OEMs and automotive R&D decision makers, rather than individual owners.

Japan has a history of doing such dismantling operations to gauge where a competing nation stands, just like BYD was taking apart Toyotas and Hondas in the dawn of its gas-powered vehicle production era. This prompted that same Nikkei BP publishing house to release a lengthy Chinese car industry analysis back in 2003 that concluded China is ten years behind Japan in automotive know-how.

Now that the tables have turned and BYD may even surpass Tesla to become the world's largest EV maker, Japan took apart its bestselling Seal - a direct Model 3 competitor - to see what makes it tick. After examining the cell-to-pack chassis technology with integrated Blade Battery, the design and other components, they came away "believing that BYD has surpassed Tesla to become the world's number one EV manufacturer, and that BYD has the foresight to lead the world standard in design."

Nikkei BP has also done similar disassembly manuals for Tesla vehicles, as well as other EVs, so it has a good basis for comparison. A Toyota exec recently said that its engineers have taken apart a Model Y and came away impressed with how efficiently it is built, with barely a redundant component in sight. Now Toyota, Honda, and other Japanese automakers that are transitioning to the EV era can find another great electric car build example in the BYD Seal, too, courtesy of the pricey Nikkei BP teardown manual.

byd_seal_nikkei_bp_disassembly_4.jpg

byd_seal_nikkei_bp_disassembly_2.jpg

byd_seal_nikkei_bp_disassembly_3.jpg
Copy is the ultimate flattery mah....leemember?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
opinion: i think apple is doing the right thing by over-designing, over-testing, and over-covering every aspect of one’s arse when it cums to autonomous driving. i see their test cars going around cupertino and sunnyvale with drivers inside but not on the steering wheel. better to wait and work out the kinks than rush to market. when they were to finally announce the launch of their vehicle it would be 99% perfect in every way. but may be it will cost $699k. let’s wait until 2026.9.

This has not aged well. :smile: Without autonomous driving the Apple car would have been worthless. Once they realised that there was no way that they were going to catch up with Tesla which has more than a million cars collecting billions of miles of real world data as we speak they rightfully pulled the plug.

Tesla cars are AI robots on wheels. Tesla is a robotic/AI company not a car company.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

Tesla is collecting insane amount of data from its Full Self-Driving test fleet​

Avatar for Fred Lambert Fred Lambert | Oct 24 2020 - 3:09 pm PT

0 Comments

Tesla is already collecting large amounts of data from the vehicles’ owners in its Full Self-Driving beta test fleet.
It is already releasing a new update improving on the release earlier this week.
Connectivity has been a flagship feature of Tesla’s offering in the auto industry.
It not only enables several fun and useful features for customers, but Tesla has also been using the connectivity to collect data from the fleet and improve features — mainly Autopilot.
When releasing an Autopilot update back in 2017, Tesla asked owners for the authorization to collect videos from the Autopilot cameras.
After that, Tesla opened the floodgates of Autopilot data gathering.
The data collection is voluntary for Tesla customers, but most owners are more than willing to let Tesla collect data since the automaker uses the data to feed its neural networks powering Autopilot and now Full Self-Driving systems.
Tesla can detect when drivers intervene during Autopilot operations and send back data to the mothership in order to help the neural networks improve.
This is also true now that Tesla has started rolling out its Full Self-Driving Beta update this week.
Tesla owners can monitor their WiFi connection to know when and how much data Tesla is pulling from their cars.
Right now, there are only a few Tesla owners in the limited release of the FSD Beta, but one of them monitored his car’s connection after a day of driving and managed to catch Tesla’s data collection.
He says that he saw Tesla pulling as much as 4 gigabytes of data from his car:

That’s a significant amount of data being pulled from the vehicle and it looks like Tesla is already pushing improvements less than a week after releasing the update to vehicles in its customer fleet.
Tesla has started pushing a new update (2020.40.8.11) to vehicles on the FSD Beta limited release.

Electrek’s Take​

I wouldn’t be surprised if the limited release to customers didn’t even double the number of vehicles with the FSD build, but that’s still a lot more data to collect.
I think Tesla is going to use this current data collection effort with a small fleet to tune its data gathering ahead of opening the beta release to the wider fleet.
Much has been said about the amount of data Tesla is able to gather thanks to its large fleet of hundreds of thousands of vehicles equipped with sensors, but the quality of data is important.
Tesla needs to have an efficienct way to feed the relevant data to its neural nets for them to improve.
I think that’s exactly what we are seeing right now.

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal

A nice summary to correlate Technology and Industrial breakthrough for Rise and Fall of USSR central planning mode and potential pitfall faced by Tiongkok

Last edited: