• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Vote Opposition

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Now that the dust has settled over SDP's shock announcement and the hustings are squaring up for a 3 or 4-cornered fight, let us get our priority right.

The enemy is the PAP, not the other (or another) opposition party. Let's focus our artillery on the right target. Bombard the PAP. Draw votes from the PAP. Don't cannibalize them from another opposition party which is a zero-sum game.

Vote opposition. Tell your friends and family to vote opposition. If they're PAP supporters, tell them why voting opposition is a necessary step towards a genuine, mature democracy. If they're already opposition supporters, tell them to spread the message.

Let the hustings begin. Vote opposition. Now.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hahaha. If SDP was still in the fray your message would not be "Vote Opposition:, but "Vote SDP".

But the SDP would still be part of the opposition.:smile:

No, unlike you, I don't cut my nose to spite my face. Nor do I beggar my neighbour.

My message would be: "Vote SDP. If not, vote opposition."

Underlying theme is: Do not vote PAP.

(But I have a feeling your msg would be different: Vote WP. If not, spoil your vote.)

Last edited:

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal

No, unlike you, I don't cut my nose to spite my face. Nor do I beggar my neighbour.

(But I have a feeling your msg would be different: Vote WP. If not, spoil your vote.)

hahaha I've never spoilt my vote on any occasion.

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

So assuming the total votes for the Opposition can be from 40% to 65%, if there is only one Opposition party against the PAP, there is a chance they might win. Am I right?

Now if there is more than 1, either a 3 or 5 corner fights, i.e. PAP Vs Opp (2-5 parties), who do you think will then win the BE?

This is the problem when there is no unity among the Opp except for a common purpose(win elections). This is why I shy away from politics as I think we have stupid Opp parties, which as a whole represent stupid Singaporeans who also are quarreling with each other. SBF is a good example of the quarrelsome nature of Singaporeans who can never agree or compromise. Their ego is too big it seems.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A multi-cornered fight favours the incumbent, the PAP.

But if a multi-cornered fight is inevitable, then the next best thing is to take as many votes as possible from the PAP.

That means oppo parties should stop badmouthing each other and instead target their ammunition at the ruling party.

cunnilaubu

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
But if a multi-cornered fight is inevitable, then the next best thing is to take as many votes as possible from the PAP.

Yup, in a MCF, if the oppo can keep PAP's votes below 50%, that will be good enough.
It will maintain the pressure on them.

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

That means oppo parties should stop badmouthing each other and instead target their ammunition at the ruling party.

There is only so much votes that can be shared amongst all contestants. Pap has at least 40% sure votes and the Opp perhaps the other 35%, leaving 25% fence sitters. Figures are wrong of course but let's assume this is the case. So 3 - 5 parties vying for the 25% of those fence sitters can only result in a sure-win for the PAP.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So 3 - 5 parties vying for the 25% of those fence sitters can only result in a sure-win for the PAP.

Even sure win for PAP, the fewer votes the better. PAP polled 54.5% in 2011; if they polled only 40% this time round, it would be a slap in the face for them and a morale booster for the opposition.

So what's your point?

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Even sure win for PAP, the fewer votes the better. PAP polled 54.5% in 2011; if they polled only 40% this time round, it would be a slap in the face for them and a morale booster for the opposition.

So what's your point?

What's the point then in losing an election for the reasons you gave? For that it will be a triumph for the Opp?

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What's the point then in losing an election for the reasons you gave? For that it will be a triumph for the Opp?

The point is to chip away support for the PAP. This election you lose, but you chip away 10%. Next election you chip away another 10%, you win.

Of course, if you can avoid a MCF, all the better, but not all oppo parties can co-operate at present.

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The point is to chip away support for the PAP. This election you lose, but you chip away 10%. Next election you chip away another 10%, you win.

Of course, if you can avoid a MCF, all the better, but not all oppo parties can co-operate at present.

Chipping away votes from fence sitters will not mean they might not vote the other way the next time round, so it is a useless effort as these are fickle-minded people.

If there is no chance in winning, it is better not to participate and let the Opp party with the best chance to win have a go at it and don't divide the Opp votes.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If there is no chance in winning, it is better not to participate and let the Opp party with the best chance to win have a go at it and don't divide the Opp votes.

Didn't I say a straight one-on-one fight is ideal? But if a MCF cannot be avoided, then take votes away from the PAP.

Gosh, you IB buggers are dense.

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Didn't I say a straight one-on-one fight is ideal? But if a MCF cannot be avoided, then take votes away from the PAP.

Gosh, you IB buggers are dense.

Ahh so, it's confirmed I am an IB? You have concluded I am an IB from my posts exhorting Opp not to divide the votes?

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal

I turn your question around. What is the point of winning a seat in parliament when that will saddle you with another town council for a few years, and you still haven't figured out how to use that stump in parliament? Emotionally blackmailing the PAP is more useful.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is the problem when there is no unity among the Opp except for a common purpose(win elections). This is why I shy away from politics as I think we have stupid Opp parties, which as a whole represent stupid Singaporeans who also are quarreling with each other. SBF is a good example of the quarrelsome nature of Singaporeans who can never agree or compromise. Their ego is too big it seems.

I think that Singaporeans are the opposite: they are too obedient and that's why they have voted for the PAP over and over again when they shouldn't have.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yes agree. Opposition parties fight to win the PAP votes.......that should be the way.