• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

[Video] - Mommy cat loves to hug her kitten

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Barbara LaRosa

4 weeks ago (edited)
I'm trying hard not to over react to this video. I've noticed over the last 4 or 5 videos that Mimi is acting more aggressive towards Kiki. She's been holding her down (which looks like hugging but its not), still furiously licking her, but this video in particular is disturbing. Mimi's ears are back some, her eyes show annoyance. Her biting is new. Mimi's behavior is escalating and I feel sorry for Kiki. She needs a break from her mother at least once a day or more. And not once have we seen her walk on solid flooring. Your recent video titled Escape is probably correct for Kiki to try escaping!

Martia S.

Martia S.

4 weeks ago
Hi Barbara LaRosa, I agree with Everything you've said here. You put everything I've been thinking, feeling and concerned about into great context here. Thank you. Dear Human Dad/ Care Giver, I think mother and daughter do need some time and space from each other, as long as it doesn't put stress on Kiki's heart, so they can just chill. I do believe it would be very good to show your vet this and a few of the other videos of like actions to get their advice and explain your concerns and that we have noticed the change as well. I know that mother's can sometimes show some aggression when weaning their young. From the clip shown it doesn't look like Kiki is trying to nurse prior to the roughness. Thank you for pointing this out. I had been noticing what looked like small bits of aggression towards Kiki after Mimi had been playing with toys. But this video seamed to be lacking in prior reason for aggression on Mimi's part. Thanks to your title as warning, I was better prepared for the content that you are now watching out for.

Eh…

Eh…

4 weeks ago
Well thank god someone doesn’t have an automatic fairytale rosy gloss to pour over this. The mother’s aggression is obviously being triggered: Mimi bit the baby’s belly, and the side of its head and would not let up for pain-cries. That’s not motherly, that's more like rivalry. I wondered, as well, if she is reluctant to let the baby feed — whether her milk is drying up. And it is a weak baby with short limbs, and a weak heart, at only about three weeks of development. They need to let the mother get out and about a bit and get the baby out that damn box when it’s awake and let it explore.

Eh…

4 weeks ago
Yes, too much intense. If the kitten cries out, it she immediately stop, and she doesn’t. There is aggression and a fight instinct being triggered there, maybe even a bit of a predatory instinct. If Kiki is almost eight weeks, it is the age cats usually start to get weaned. It could be that the mother’s milk is drying up. Or the situation of having a sick kitten always cooped up in a box is just too stressful for an inexperienced mother. Give the mother a break, time on her own away from the kitten, and for god’s sake take the kitten out of that damn box and entertain her.

Katherine D Emerson

4 weeks ago (edited)
I've noticed that too. Often seems too aggressive for baby Kiki. In this video she seems to be biting Kiki who is screaming out to her to stop. Is Mimi playing with any catnip toys before this happens? I wonder if Mimi is beginning to wean Kiki and doesn't want her nursing anymore? If so, alternative food will need to be provided. If Mimi were a barn cat, she would start bringing Kiki little bits of meat (birds, tiny mammals) to eat but she is unable to do so in a home setting. Her behaviour is quite worrisome. If I were you, I would speak with the vet. Also, Mimi needs to be spayed before she goes into heat and gets pregnant again. Best of luck.

Last edited: