• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Useless Sinkie Mother Crippled Her Own Daughter By Not Sending Her For Tuition! Now Daughter Condemned To Neighbourhood School! Too Late For Regrets!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
image_from_ios_68.jpg

SINGAPORE: When Teo Pau Lin used to hear other parents talking about enrichment classes, she would think to herself: I am cooler than that.

“It’s this whole culture of being very competitive and a bit kiasu, which makes me feel very uncomfortable,” says the 52-year-old former journalist, who now runs her own cake studio.

For her, it was more important that her two daughters, now aged 15 and 13, have fun growing up and spend time with the family or pursue their hobbies.

“I want them to look back on their childhood and have nice memories of just playing and family time,” she says.

“I’m totally okay with them getting B’s.”

Tuition was not something she wanted her children to be saddled with when they were in primary school — until the elder of her two daughters, En, started failing mathematics and science. In Primary 5, En started receiving tuition twice weekly.

Teo tells about her guilt in the second episode of the podcast Imperfect by CNA Insider. The limited series delves into the questions every parent will face, with heartfelt stories — sometimes funny, sometimes poignant — about dealing with parental dilemmas.

THE SHOCK
Following tuition, En’s grades did improve, and she did well in her preliminary exams before the Primary School Leaving Examination (PSLE).

Teo thought everything was in hand and shortlisted a few schools that she thought En could go to: Not the most competitive or popular schools in the country but a tad more modest, she describes.

That is why she was blindsided by En’s PSLE score. “It wasn’t very bad,” she acknowledges. “But it was definitely not what we were expecting.”

En did not qualify for any of the schools on the shortlist. “What she could qualify for were schools I didn’t know anything about, and I had to go and do some research,” Teo says.

In the end, the choice was a simple one between two schools, and they agreed on the one with a direct bus from their house.

But as the days passed, Teo struggled to process her feelings. “I’d come to work, and tears would be rolling down my (cheeks),” she recalls.

She wondered: What have I done?
Who am I to think I can go against the system if everybody else does not? She wondered most of all whether she had ruined her child’s future.

Find out how she grappled with the guilt — then had no regrets when she realised En’s secondary school was a good fit for her — in the second episode of Imperfect by CNA Insider.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/cna...gapore-education-schools-parent-guilt-3414966

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyway what's there to cry about ?
Just take it in your stride. Explore more avenues.
Life is not about being in good school and good with your studies. But it more like problem solving along way. The ability to solve problem, ability to aide step issues and move on , ability to think and talk on your feet. The ability to present your idea clearly and execute it nicely.

You bring all these shit to ma Yun or lee ka shing. They will laugh at you being a coward.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
It’s really the end with no education. U can pick out a few lucky cases of insurance or property agents doing well but how many can truly make it?

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Go to school still need tuition? Life of young kids are like slaves.
Good thing about xi jinping is he banned all these tuition centres.
PAP should do the saMe.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Look at CNA doing free advertising disguised as an article for the cronies in the tuition industry. :roflmao:

rodent2005

Alfrescian
Loyal
Poor woman, she has to work until 100 years old because her children will not be able to make enough to support her in her old age.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When you have a billion dollar tuition industry with kids spending weekends going from one tuition centre to another, it is a failure of the education system and a reminder of one of PAP's greatest disservice to the people.
Even RI students lose to CECA in job hunting . so just vote for PAP and suffer , no pity for sheep

realDonaldTrump

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are a lot of things that school teachers don't teach these days. Sure, self study can pass but for getting AL1 or AL2, my feeling is that MOE leaves some things for outside enrichment classes to make money to support the education industry. Tuition centres are probably paying a lot of taxes to our government.

Sorry to be so blunt but I can cite so many examples,

- Mathematics, PSLE always got tougher questions for AL1 or AL2, which school don't teach
- English, seriously school don't teach you much about composition, no planning, no strategy. In school, teacher just sit down and let u write most of the time.
- Science, PSLE will also throw tough questions which are outside the syllabus or advanced logic questions which a child must master, to get AL1 or AL2.

Tuition centres are very important now, it is like almost impossible to get AL1 in any subjects without tuition. Don't believe you try, the odds is against your child.

In school, teachers spend most of the time scolding students, doing admin, conduct exams and practices (output), there is a lot of things that they don't have time to teach or never teach.

Walk into a typical primary school carpark, 30-50% of the cars are german made now, teachers are very well paid and they enjoy better work-life balance and lots of holidays. In Korea, Malaysia, China, Taiwan, most teachers get only US$2000-US$3000 and US$3000-3500 by the time they retire. Yes, including south korea! Singapore parents are short-changed despite paying the highest for school teacher in asia-pacific but still need to fork out $500 to $1000 a month for enrichment classes.

realDonaldTrump

Alfrescian
Loyal
Go to school still need tuition? Life of young kids are like slaves.
Good thing about xi jinping is he banned all these tuition centres.
PAP should do the saMe.
Selamat Hari Raya bro,

Today is Hari Raya, i talk about Madrasah Schools.

Do you know that even parents who sent their kids to Madrasahs got to go for a lot of tuition classes now. They have to study the 4 PSLE subjects but they got another 3-4 exam subjects of equal weightage. Ended up the students got to study a lot and MOE breaths down their neck. After P4, the weakest madrasah students are requested to join mainstream primary.

Good and bad. Students are very busy and typical standard of a madrasah school is now like an above average neighbourhood primary school now. In recent years, madrasah students are also winning or ranked in local academic competitions. Those who still think that that madrasah students are typically academically weaker are wrong, in face many came from better-to-do families because to cope with these, their families must also be able to afford to send their kids for tuitions to do well in school.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When will they wake up and realise getting good grades is about being good serfs and servants to CECAs and FTs that PAP being in. The education system back where these parasites come from - getting good scores are like blue moon. They learn via exploring and discovery.