• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat UnWed SPG Mum needs help, still fresh and chio, any Samsters Interest?

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal

Kicked out of home with only $3,000 to her name: 20-year-old unwed mum on the 'worst stage' of her life​

20220401_pregnant_unspalsh.jpg

Unsplash
SINGAPORE - When Sophie, 20, found out she was pregnant last year, her parents issued her an ultimatum: Get an abortion or get married.

She chose to tie the knot.

More from AsiaOneRead the condensed version of this story, and other top stories with NewsLite.
But Sophie (not her real name) and her chef boyfriend, who is five years older, broke up before their wedding after a big fight.

She said her boyfriend had been happy when he found out she was pregnant but his parents did not want them to get married.

Both sets of parents felt the couple were too young to be parents. Their relationship, Sophie said, crumbled under all that stress.

She also could not bear to get an abortion, which was what her parents wanted her to do after her relationship ended. It was a tough time for Sophie, who was studying and working part-time as a waitress at the time.

She said: "Abortion is the easiest thing and there is no baggage in that sense. But it didn't feel right. I didn't feel like the baby deserved to die."

Eventually, her parents, who are both professionals, kicked her out of their house. Sophie was three months pregnant with only about $3,000 to her name.

"I felt this sense of abandonment at my worst stage in life, when my parents kicked me out. I didn't keep my child to lose my family," she said.

Sophie turned to Babes, a teenage pregnancy crisis service, which referred her to Safe Place.

An initiative of Lakeside Family Services, Safe Place offers pregnant women in distress a temporary place to stay, counselling and other forms of support. It provided Sophie with shelter for over three months for free.

Sophie said: "The biggest help has been from Safe Place. My social worker has been there for me from Day 1 until now."

She also received $480 a month from the Government's ComCare financial assistance scheme for about six months.

Woman had 3 abortions since she was undergrad
Woman had 3 abortions since she was undergrad

Her parents eventually asked her to return home before she gave birth.

While they are not supporting her financially, they are now "less aloof" to her and her baby, said Sophie, whose son is now six-months-old.

Safe Place gives her free baby supplies, such as milk powder and diapers, which she said is a great financial help.

Sophie, who has a diploma, is now looking for a job in the food and beverage sector that offers her office hours, as infant care centres usually operate from 7am to 7pm.

She said she feels her chances of getting a job are lower when she tells potential employers she is a single mother.

Her financial worries aside, the sense of loneliness can also be hard to bear. She is no longer in touch with the baby's father.

As an unwed mother, she said she is also afraid her son would be mocked when he goes to school, but hopes society could be more understanding of unwed mothers and not point fingers.

She said: "Despite all the struggles and hardship, I feel very happy that my baby is here. I have no regrets."
What happened to self reliance and self responsibility? If one choose to keep the kid,,,one has the responsibilty to raise the child,,,,why should others and the state help when its the person fuckup on irresponsible breeding?

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
She also received $480 a month from the Government's ComCare financial assistance scheme for about six months.
Surprisinglee comcare paid her $480 as she still has 2 working professionals parents. Comcare fund is from the public donations and the criteria is to ensure whole familee nucleus is poor. Why should the public help her to raise her child when her parents can afford but didn't want to ?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Should have used birth control or keep her legs closed. Sad!

There is a proliferation of single mothers, and their ages are getting younger every year.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow, you actually work hard to prove your point. You are very committed to the forum.

Missing person numbers fall over past 3 years but those aged 11 to 20 consistently form about a third of cases​

Missing person numbers fall over past 3 years but those aged 11 to 20 consistently form about a third of cases
iStockThe total number of people in Singapore who went missing was 2,064 in 2019, 1,611 in 2020 and 1,397 in 2021.
  • Law and Home Affairs Minister K Shanmugam said a total of 5,072 persons went missing between 2019 and 2021
  • Vulnerable persons such as young children and elders make up 15 per cent of the number
    Mr Shanmugam said that the police “accord priority” to vulnerable missing persons as they may be at higher risk

A possible 700 cases of incest and abuse for those 11-20 year old who leave home every year pre pandemic.

plzhelpme

Alfrescian
Loyal
Surprisinglee comcare paid her $480 as she still has 2 working professionals parents. Comcare fund is from the public donations and the criteria is to ensure whole familee nucleus is poor. Why should the public help her to raise her child when her parents can afford but didn't want to ?

KNN

Heng ah

Chao Turtle expenses paid by
World Wildlife Fund.

plzhelpme

Alfrescian
Loyal

KNN

Chao Turtle ask you how
@glockman
a multi trillionaire can get CDC vouchers, GST vouchers, etc????

He connected to high higher someone????

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
KNN

Chao Turtle ask you how
@glockman
a multi trillionaire can get CDC vouchers, GST vouchers, etc????

He connected to high higher someone????
Chao turtle my uncle think glocky familee nucleus all got secret job I.e no contributions to cpf type. Comcare and pap won't check all their bank account. During application process they onlee will ask to see 1 bank account so he put a few dollar inside and act poor. Hence he managed to receive every goodies as in pap leecord he is a poor old fart KNN