• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Unsual activities on the Net recently

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
There have been at least 3 instances of hoax stories in the net in recent weeks and they revolve around distraught families and death of a family member or members with finger pointing at the govt and its usual associates such as SPH etc. Clearly these are writen in manner to evoke anger.

There has also been a semblence of organised activity calling for confirmation, acknowledgement, proof and the usual run of the mill issues.

Two things stand put -

the appearence of some form of organisation and the coming together of usual suspects whose previous one liners have moved to whole paragraphs, extensive effort in tracing choice quotes over an extended period and seeking justification etc.

The intention is to discredit online forums that are known to spill the beans.

Just remember this - the onus is on the govt of the day to confirm, acknowledge and proof that things are fine. It is also perfectly ok for citizens and the electrorate to raise issues with or without proof to seek clarification.

Last edited:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
very sad that people have to make up stories to make their political points. Jobless people who have too much time in front of their computers.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Just remember this - the onus is on the govt of the day to confirm, acknowledge and proof that things are fine. It is also perfectly ok for citizens and the electrorate to raise issues with or without proof to seek clarification.

1. start by having a clear state of mind
2. with the acquired clarity of thought, access the said article
3. clarify pertinent points raised in said article
4. quantify, if need be, with author of said article
5. where of instances when author is unavailable, check on other sources
6. repeat steps 1-5 where necessary
7. discard article if the said article is bullshit where neither clarification nor quantification may be sought
8. where of instances when clarification & quantification may be sought, compare with available data at hand
9. continue clarifying & quantifying where discrepancies arise and then set hypothesis for testing
10. having tested the hypothesis, feel free to discuss finding when one has >95% confidence
11. choose to accept or reject hypothesis upon affirmation before one decides to accept the said article as truth or discard the said article as bullshit

for lazy people: take everything with a pinch of salt :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
It did not seem to work with the supposed NS chapngetting shot in the head. It went off like widlfire within the day across the net. This is not your ordinary bullshit story. It was well crafted.

The intention was not to discredit Mindef and the Govt. The intention is to discredit the forum and no longer place face value on any article. People will now start to scrutinise every article and as the Govt is not transparent and there is no appropriate Freedom of Information legislation, nothing can be proved.

Bro Zihau

I suspect they wanted people to react and conduct such matters as you listed. It works well if the govt is transparent and there are other avenues to confirm or deny. I suspect that it is organised. And it is not from Govt detractors but its supporters. And they have done very well. By the way, this is Intelligence 101.

Last edited:

Internet Brigade

Alfrescian
Loyal
Two things stand put -

the appearence of some form of organisation and the coming together of usual suspects whose previous one liners have moved to whole paragraphs, extensive effort in tracing choice quotes over an extended period and seeking justification etc.

The intention is to discredit online forums that are known to spill the beans.

Online forums have never been viewed as credible. Reporters lurk around and pick and choose stories that suit their agenda (esp Opp news). When it gets too loud online, media have no choice but to run a story to clarify. This 'coming together' can be fabricated to some extent online. But for a 'coming together' that would spark off a media swoon would be another ball game altogether.

We take sides here. We talk cock here and make a lot of sense as well. Don't take yourself too seriously.

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Chey! I took what you guys here say quite seriously one leh. Because many of you make sense...

Now you say all talking cock?!

Nahbeh...

Online forums have never been viewed as credible. Reporters lurk around and pick and choose stories that suit their agenda (esp Opp news). When it gets too loud online, media have no choice but to run a story to clarify. This 'coming together' can be fabricated to some extent online. But for a 'coming together' that would spark off a media swoon would be another ball game altogether.

We take sides here. We talk cock here and make a lot of sense as well. Don't take yourself too seriously.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Have your fun, be entertained by the stories (true or otherwise) but dun get distracted or swayed until we miss the big picture.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There have been at least 3 instances of hoax stories in the net in recent weeks and they revolve around distraught families and death of a family member or members with finger pointing at the govt and its usual associates such as SPH etc. Clearly these are writen in manner to evoke anger ...
which r ze 3? ...

me saw oni 2 dat fit ze description in tis kopitiam ... :o

Last edited:

ThePlen

Alfrescian
Loyal
temasek emeritus (tre) seems to be taking the lead on this. shortly after they resume the site, they have been flooding the internet with scandals and hoaxes

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Welcome to the Internet, where raw information is dispatched to you unfiltered and uncensored, and you have to *gasp* think, discern and decide for yourself about the veracity of those claims. That's the beauty of free flow of information: you think for yourself, you don't let others think for you. A novel concept, especially in Singapore.

Obviously, some of those false information could be deliberate and elaborate leaks from the mainstream media, PAP disinfo agents or PAP sympathizers attempting to discredit certain websites. But it doesn't really matter.

sense

Alfrescian
Loyal
The person/organization that is doing this hoax is actually doing the netizens a favor.Ie. educating the netizens not to take news at face value, not to jump to the conclusion, etc.Good job.As the saying goes: fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hope the public can apply this when they read or listen to news from the msm, to have a healthy dose of skeptisim and questioning mind.

The person/organization that is doing this hoax is actually doing the netizens a favor.Ie. educating the netizens not to take news at face value, not to jump to the conclusion, etc.Good job.As the saying goes: fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
oh pls it's up to you to discern if the information is true or false. Like the NS guy shot dead. The discussion was ongoing and even the mod from the fan sub forum the victim in question went into the thread and invited ppl to go to irc channel to discuss the matter with them.

Forums are for ppl to exchange ideas and information, blogs or news websites are the ones where information is posted out and expected to be more credible compared to a forum.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Obviously, some of those false information could be deliberate and elaborate leaks from the mainstream media, PAP disinfo agents or PAP sympathizers attempting to discredit certain websites. But it doesn't really matter.

I do not think PAP are doing this, i think opposition are shooting their own feet by over dramatic stories cook up in their imagination.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
ExactlySBF has an interesting operating model that I have not seen before or since. There are two distinct streams, one is the usual chatter, TCSS, interesting events, debates and discusssions on a range of subjects. Similar to most forum but with little or no moderation. Everyone says their piece. The second stream is not evident in any other forum where insight, revelations and confidential info starts seeping out every now and then. Even more interesting is the cryptic signals that are exchanged. We had a range of people over the years contributing. The trick is to identify the second stream when it emerges. Also notable is the second stream seem to appear in later part of long threads. At the end of the day, all these information are meaningless by itself unless if it does help paint the big picture.
Have your fun, be entertained by the stories (true or otherwise) but dun get distracted or swayed until we miss the big picture.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Political party supporters have always thrown out false stories or misinformation and its commonplace all over the world since time immemorial. They also throw out things that are hard to prove or disprove.

Read the post about the NS man being shot dead. Highly emotional and true to form, it went viral. But the interesting thing is that such as story can immediately be verified and thats what Mindef did. Even a half fucked opposition supporter will write stories such as a cabinet minister is a closet gay which is hard to dismiss.

Whoever took the time and effort to craft such an emotional story knew that it can be immediately dismissed which happened the next day. The ones wearing the damage are the online forums and Netizens. They have been discredited. In Intelligence parlance its called a "false or black flag" ops. Its roots are similar to writing satire so that some people understand the meaning behind it and the rest are the usually blur till the very end.

I do not think PAP are doing this, i think opposition are shooting their own feet by over dramatic stories cook up in their imagination.

Last edited: