• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Understanding Another Person's Reasons

jw5

Loyal
We all understand our own reasons.
For example, why are we in this forum? We all have our reasons.
-- Nothing better to do.
-- Had a hard day at work, time to relax.
-- Nothing good on tv.
-- Want to flame someone.
-- Want someone to flame him, etc etc

But how often do you think about another person's reasons, including someone who is apparently behaving badly, illogically, selfishly or stupidly? Do you stop a moment and try to think about His reasons? About his perspective or his point of view?
It may turn out to be illogical or stupid, but these are still his reasons.

Have there been any occasions where you just can't seem to understand someone's reasons or couldn't figure out what his reasons were? Please share them here and let us figure out or give suggestions.

PS: A break from Jack please. :smile:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Have there been any occasions where you just can't seem to understand someone's reasons or couldn't figure out what his reasons were? Please share them here and let us figure out or give suggestions.

the motivation to drive a certain behavior can be originating from various angles and targeted at various levels, ultimately to trigger a response from another party, or sometimes to seek self-satisfaction and/or to reconcile with differences within oneself. good to note some folks do certain things for no rhyme or reasons, and we call them various names for that :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

jw5

Loyal
the motivation to drive a certain behavior can be originating from various angles and targeted at various levels, ultimately to trigger a response from another party, or sometimes to seek self-satisfaction and/or to reconcile with differences within oneself. good to note some folks do certain things for no rhyme or reasons, and we call them various names for that :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Hi zhihau

That's what I'm saying, some people may do some things for no rhyme or reason, but there's actually no such thing as "no rhyme or reason".
Even if the reason is what most people would say is a stupid or illogical one, it's still his reason.
Being bored or doing it just to get a response are also reasons.

mustspeakup

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi zhihau

That's what I'm saying, some people may do some things for no rhyme or reason, but there's actually no such thing as "no rhyme or reason".
Even if the reason is what most people would say is a stupid or illogical one, it's still his reason.
Being bored or doing it just to get a response are also reasons.

he's referring to mental cases.....:biggrin:

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think you are referring to hidden agenda. I tell you what is mine initially:
I wanted pple to know how dodgy a government branch like ISD or SS can be?

Later I realise I felt more balanced after letting steam of how I was harrassed and treated cos' I did not want to side with PAP. I know you guys probably think I am out of my mind,it's ok. I dun know you, you dun know me in real life. even if we do in future,it's ok. Just let me know who you are in this forum,I may give you a lift in my cab for free.:p

-- Nothing better to do.
-- Nothing good on tv.

But how often do you think about another person's reasons, including someone who is apparently behaving badly, illogically, selfishly or stupidly? Do you stop a moment and try to think about His reasons? About his perspective or his point of view?

Spock

Alfrescian
Loyal
To read about news like the Jack Neo affair or more appropriately, his affairs. :wink:

More JN threads please. :biggrin:

jw5

Loyal
he's referring to mental cases.....:biggrin:
Even mental cases have their reasons for doing things.
And I don't think there is such a thing as being totally insane, just as there is no such thing as being totally sane. There is simply a continuum.

StonebridgeLeaner

Alfrescian
Loyal
-- Nothing better to do.
-- Nothing good on tv.

This is a very good thread. Thank you. In case you were wondering I gave you the 5 stars. :wink:

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think you are referring to hidden agenda. I tell you what is mine initially:
I wanted pple to know how dodgy a government branch like ISD or SS can be?

Later I realise I felt more balanced after letting steam of how I was harrassed and treated cos' I did not want to side with PAP. I know you guys probably think I am out of my mind,it's ok. I dun know you, you dun know me in real life. even if we do in future,it's ok. Just let me know who you are in this forum,I may give you a lift in my cab for free.:p

drive carefully, take your meds if you have to

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even mental cases have their reasons for doing things.
And I don't think there is such a thing as being totally insane, just as there is no such thing as being totally sane. There is simply a continuum.

Do you know what are habits? People just repeat and repeat what they do - for no rhymes or reasons.

Some Sporeans just litter and litter - any reason for it? Is it because they hate the gahment or PAP? Is it because they can't find any dustbins within a 10 metres radius? It is because litters are attractive in squeaky clean Singapore?

Some Sporeans know that there is shit and yet they must go near and smell it and then complain that it's smelly! Any reason for that?

Kid278

Alfrescian
Loyal
-- Nothing better to do.
-- Nothing good on tv.

Well people report, you decide. If there's anything you chooses to respond, the discretion is always yours.

jw5

Loyal
Do you know what are habits? People just repeat and repeat what they do - for no rhymes or reasons.

Some Sporeans just litter and litter - any reason for it? Is it because they hate the gahment or PAP? Is it because they can't find any dustbins within a 10 metres radius? It is because litters are attractive in squeaky clean Singapore?

Some Sporeans know that there is shit and yet they must go near and smell it and then complain that it's smelly! Any reason for that?
Doing something because it has become a habit is also a reason.
But there is also an underlying reason behind the habit.
Why do people litter as a habit?
Perhaps it's because they have never been caught and fined or made to do a corrective work order. Perhaps they were not taught by their parents or teachers not to litter. Perhaps they are just lazy.
These are all reasons.