• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

""UNCLE Chia"" is Angry

kelvin

Alfrescian
Loyal
from Today's ST Forum::

What an uncle -- pls sue me for calling you Uncle,:biggrin:

IN THE past 10 years, there has been a trend among service staff to address men over 50 as 'uncle'. I find this very offensive.
We all know that 'auntie' and 'uncle' are not terms of endearment when used to address strangers in Singapore.

If anything, they have come to denote someone who is old, less-educated, dull, slow-witted, nit-picking, loud, uncouth, parochial, uninformed, pedantic and clumsy, among many more negative traits.

I urge companies to tell their staff to stop using this offensive form of address.

Look at Hong Kong. Service staff speak Cantonese and address elderly customers as 'dai gor' (elder brother). It sounds nice and does not carry any negative connotation.

I suggest that service staff in Singapore use 'sir' instead. At least that does not carry any negative connotation.

Chia Buk Chua

kelvin

Alfrescian
Loyal

Look at Hong Kong. Service staff speak Cantonese and address elderly customers as 'dai gor' (elder brother). It sounds nice and does not carry any negative connotation.

I suggest that service staff in Singapore use 'sir' instead. At least that does not carry any negative connotation.

Chia Buk Chua

:p
uncle chia, u can migrate to HK:p

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... IN THE past 10 years, there has been a trend among service staff to address men over 50 as 'uncle'. ... I urge companies to tell their staff to stop using this offensive form of address. ...
how abt calling u 靚仔 or 帥哥? ...

:biggrin:

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... If anything, they have come to denote someone who is old, less-educated, dull, slow-witted, nit-picking, loud, uncouth, parochial, uninformed, pedantic and clumsy, among many more negative traits. ...
tis fella can cum up wif so many self-made descriptions of ze word ...

wen http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/uncle juz defines it as ...

Used as a form of address for an older man, especially by children.

jw5

Loyal

What an uncle -- pls sue me for calling you Uncle,:biggrin:

IN THE past 10 years, there has been a trend among service staff to address men over 50 as 'uncle'. I find this very offensive.
We all know that 'auntie' and 'uncle' are not terms of endearment when used to address strangers in Singapore.

If anything, they have come to denote someone who is old, less-educated, dull, slow-witted, nit-picking, loud, uncouth, parochial, uninformed, pedantic and clumsy, among many more negative traits.

I urge companies to tell their staff to stop using this offensive form of address.

Chia Buk Chua
Has the writer been knighted? Why should anyone call him sir?
There is nothing wrong in calling someone uncle, it is simply a polite way of addressing a male who is older than you.

kelvin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Has the writer been knighted? Why should anyone call him sir?
There is nothing wrong in calling someone uncle, it is simply a polite way of addressing a male who is older than you.

he needs to earn others respect first,
and not complain like a small boy to the newspaper:rolleyes:

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
fucking hell. since when 'uncle' is a derogatory term? then the niece and nephew call u wat? 'yeo! watsup?'

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
i used to called people uncle and auntie regardless a taxi driver, shop assistant or boss of a company,,,,, it is a respect of people older than me thats all,,,,,

now when i take taxi, buy things or my friends' kids, they call me uncle now,,,,

what's the big problem....

derogatory? well, its all in your mind and truly childish to write-in,,,, you definitely not qualify as uncle

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Well, I am almost 40. I don't mind younger folks calling me uncle because indeed and I can be their uncle!!

I didn't think when they call me uncle, they think that I am "less-educated, dull, slow-witted, nit-picking, loud, uncouth, parochial, uninformed, pedantic and clumsy, among many more negative traits", because I AM NOT. I think it is all in the mind!!

Only thing I cannot understand is that some age 50s and 60s folks (especially hawkers) also call me uncle!! Well, not that I look that old to be thier uncle!!!

Sometimes when I feel naughty, I call them back Ah Mah, Ah Gong, Por Por or Ah Jor!

:smile::smile::smile::smile:

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I have this buddy who is quite handsome and hip (Designer) in his 30s (back then).

He visited his baby daughter at KK as she was warded. There was this super chio and fair Pinoy nurse. He was bio-ing her from head to toe to tits and fantasize that he doggie the Pinoy...

..... then he kanna turned off when the nurse open her mouth and addressed him as "uncle"!!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Faidenk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Since I'm not knighted as well, no need to call me Sir. A simple 'Mr.' will do. I understand calling me uncle does not mean I am "less-educated, dull, slow-witted, nit-picking, loud, uncouth, parochial, uninformed, pedantic and clumsy, among many more negative traits" but I'll rather being called Mr.

No I promised I won't bashed his fucking head in for calling me uncle.

boring

Alfrescian
Loyal
this chia is a typical self condem, low self esteen ass hole.different country different culture, at hongkong "dai loh" is a respectable term to address a person , and here is "uncle" . infact only address a person "uncle" when u respect him. this chia way of self condem just like a chinese condem their own languge...

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
....We all know ..

It has been a traditional form of respect to address your elders as uncle or auntie.

I did not know that it is universally acknowledge as an insult.

What are the alternatives?

Well, to call a stranger or even relative 'father or mother' can give rise to inappropriate meanings.

"Sir" or "Madam", "Elder brother" or "Elder sister" ? Possibly.

Uncle sounds a having a wider age gap than elder brother.

Maybe it all boils down to the mind of that Mr Chia.

In any case, if i ever meet Mr Chia or his equivalent and he shows his displeasure at being called 'uncle', i will treat him as i would any stranger without respect to his age.

"Yo!" is a possibility.

iamelite

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aiyah.. Singaporeans are the rudest on earth (apart from Honkies) and Sinkies still think they are refined and such.. haha..

WE HAVE THE WORST SERVICE ATTITUDE and our uncles/aunties and xiaodi/xiaojie are complaining of Foreign workers getting their service jobs.. I get served by sinkies service people...most times, my blood will boil.. to think there is such fucking service attitude..

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
front-xymm26.jpg

I've been called Lau Lee, Old Fart and Lau CB. What do u expect me to do? Fix'em? *chey*