• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

TT: I'll not be an "ivory tower President", just as President S.R.Nathan was not.

PhuaTeKor

Alfrescian
Loyal
To think that he has to climb down all the way from the ivory tower to become the President, no wonder his wife didn't want to give any press interview during the race. :smile:

PE: President-elect Tony Tan lists urgent tasks
By Imelda Saad | Posted: 28 August 2011 1855 hrs

phpJO8Q1m.jpg

Dr Tony Tan at his post-election news conference

SINGAPORE: Singapore's President-elect Tony Tan has said that the most "urgent" task is to reach out to all Singaporeans.

He emphasised that the president works for all Singaporeans and he will not be an "ivory tower President", just as President S.R. Nathan was not.

Dr Tan said this at a press conference on Sunday afternoon, just hours after being elected Singapore's seventh President.

When asked his thoughts about the tight race and his winning margin of just 0.34 percentage points over his closest rival Dr Tan Cheng Bock, Dr Tony Tan said his results were "decisive" in Singapore's first past-the-post system.

"We should look forward to see what we can do rather than look backwards as to the narrow victory, the votes for the other candidates and for myself," Dr Tan said.

"I anticipate that this will be a subject for much commentary and analysis by political commentators and pundits in the coming days and months and I look for ward to reading their views and to see what they make of the elections.

"But as for myself, it's over; now, the question is we have to concentrate on the real work which is what we can do to make Singapore a better place and give Singaporeans a better quality of life."

Dr Tan's priority is to unite an electorate which some have said are polarised in their political views.

"I'm reaching out to all Singaporeans, not only those who support me but also those who have supported other candidates.

"The president must work for all citizens, regardless of who they (voted for); the president must be above politics. He cannot identify himself with any one party.

"All of us have a common destiny in Singapore, whatever party you belong to, whether you vote for me or did not vote for me, I will continue to work for all of you and I think that in the coming years, I will work to unify Singaporeans, heal some of the divisions that exist now and emphasise the need for unity and a common purpose.

"In this way I am confident that we will be able to share a common purpose."

Dr Tan acknowledged that with a more vocal electorate, the process of government would be more difficult, with more confusion and slower decision making.

But he said it is good to have a diversity of views as it enriches society.

As part of the engagement process, Dr Tan wants to use various platforms, such as tea sessions and online social networks to reach out to Singaporeans.

Dr Tan also said: "I don't think it's fair to describe, for example President Nathan's tenure as being in an ivory tower. I think he's made a great effort to reach out to Singaporeans.

"I intend to do the same, not to isolate myself in the Istana but to reach out to various groups, to take an interest in particular issues and to meet a wide spectrum of Singaporeans from all walks of life, different interest groups, to work with them and for them in order to help advance their causes for the benefit of Singaporeans".

With an uncertain global economy, Dr Tan said he hopes to use his experience to help steer Singapore out of troubled waters.

"I view the global economic situation with grave concern. There are problems in Europe, in US. The credit rating has been downgraded. Japan also has its credit rating downgraded as well and many countries, including Singapore, are lowering their growth projections for this year and possibly for next year as well.

"We don't know whether all of these problems will eventually cause another global economic and financial crisis. A lot depends on the actions of government and policy makers and central bankers in the coming weeks and months. We have to monitor this very carefully and with my background in GIC as well as in OCBC.

"I have a wide circle of contacts in the global economic field. I keep up with the news and I can share these views with the prime minister and the other ministers in private meetings.

"The prime minister and his Cabinet will eventually have to make the right decisions but with the experience which I have had over 30 years, I hope that some of my insights and views will be helpful to the PM and his Cabinet when they have to make difficult and uncertain decisions."

"I think the coming weeks and months will be trying for Singapore but we have to remember that Singapore's fundamentals are strong. We have faced challenges before.

"One of the reasons why I decided to run for the presidency is to be able to make a contribution towards resolving some of these issues and helping Singapore to ride through the next crisis if it should hit us. And now that I have been elected as president, I think that will enable me to play that role but one has to recognise that the final decisions will have to be made by the prime minister and his Cabinet."

When asked about the role his wife Mary will play, Dr Tan described how she has always been a pillar of support for him.

"I know my wife Mary has always had a deep concern for people in need, particularly for the older folks; I'm sure that she will be a great first lady and she will fulfil that position with grace and distinction and make a contribution to Singapore in her own right.

"But I still look forward to her support for me as I carry out my functions in the presidency."

During campaigning, there was a lot of talk about the role and responsibility of the elected president in Singapore and Dr Tan said he believes the debate will not end here.

He said the Constitution will evolve because it is a living document and he said he'll do his best to meet the high expectations of Singaporeans.

Dr Tan will be sworn in on Thursday as Singapore's seventh head of state.

Channel NewsAsia will carry the ceremony 'live' at 7.30pm.

-CNA/wk

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He protect Nathan for fuck!!! Whether Nathan is a dumbass or not, people can see. Any extra words from Tony is very unecessary, and only have himself potrayed as fake and deceptive. Nobody wil believe his words anymore. If he said Nathan is dumb or he will not take Nathaneques step, he might still gain some respect from his unflattering victory. Now he dig one inch into his own grave, he deserved no respect from 65% again.

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
He protect Nathan for fuck!!! Whether Nathan is a dumbass or not, people can see. Any extra words from Tony is very unecessary, and only have himself potrayed as fake and deceptive. Nobody wil believe his words anymore. If he said Nathan is dumb or he will not take Nathaneques step, he might still gain some respect from his unflattering victory. Now he dig one inch into his own grave, he deserved no respect from 65% again.

You scratch my back I scratch your back.
Crony mentality.
Doésn't he know the extreme unpopularity of Ah Neh.