• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Top 5 prata stalls in S'pore

Motaro

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

CEOs choose best prata stalls

1862.jpg

From breakfast to supper, roti prata is chowed down by hungry Singaporeans throughout the day.

Singapore, March 4, 2013

From breakfast to supper, roti prata is chowed down by hungry Singaporeans throughout the day.
This round-the-clock Indian pancake snack from the Punjab region is commonly eaten with curry or sugar, but hawkers here have come up with their own variations, which now include anything from cheese to chocolate and ice cream.

Here are the top five roti prata stalls as voted by panellists of BT/Knight Frank CEOs' Hawker Choices 2013:

Casuarina Curry

136 Casuarina Road
Tel: 6455 9093
www.casuarinacurry.com
Open 7am to midnight daily

>> Read the review here.

Thasevi Famous Jalan Kayu Prata Restaurant
237 & 239 Jalan Kayu
Tel: 6481 1537
Open 24 hours

>> Read the review here.

Syed Restaurant
326 Bedok Road (Simpang Bedok)
Tel: 6242 5412
Open 24 hours daily

>> Read the review here.

Sin Ming Roti Prata
Blk 24 Sin Ming Road #01-51 Jin Fa Kopitiam
Hours: 6.30am to 6.30pm daily

>> Read the review here.

The Roti Prata House
246M Upper Thomson Rd
Tel: 6459 5260
Hours: 7am-2am (Sun-Thu); 24 hours (Fri-Sat)

>> Read the review here.

The Business Times/Knight Frank CEOs' Hawker Choices 2013 is a guide to the best street food in Singapore as chosen by Singapore's top executives.

How it works

A master panel of distinguished professionals (listed below) created a master list of hawkers for each food category. This list was subsequently sent out to The Business Times' CEO Club, comprising all the top management of companies based in Singapore, who were invited to vote for their favourite stalls.

The stalls with the most votes are then visited by BT Weekend's food reviewers and featured in a weekly spread in the Living section. The objective of this series is to create an unbiased guide to the best hawker food in Singapore, as well as create a platform to help preserve the old cooking traditions that are in danger of dying out.

This series will run for 26 weeks, after which the content will be compiled into a guidebook, with sales proceeds to go towards furthering this and other charitable causes.

Our master panel members

Tan Tiong Cheng (chairman, Knight Frank Pte Ltd)
Alan Chan (CEO, Singapore Press Holdings)
Chong Siak Ching (CEO, Ascendas)
Elim Chew (president/founder of 77th Street)
Edmund Koh (chief executive and country head of UBS Singapore)
Professor Tommy Koh (Ambassador-at-Large, Ministry of Foreign Affairs Singapore)
Kwek Leng Peck (executive director, Hong Leong Asia)
Allen Lew (CEO, SingTel's digital life division)
Ng Lang (CEO, URA)
Philip Ng (CEO, Far East Organisation)
Seah Kian Peng (CEO, NTUC Fairprice Co-operative Ltd)

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Fuckin lanjiao to all these CEOs..:oIo:

The pratas from the 3 joints in the above list are over rated..

jw5

Loyal
Do you guys like cheese with your prata?

Or do you prefer the usual plain prata or prata with egg or with onion.

I just tried cheese prata recently and it was ok to me.

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Casuarina Curry & Thasevi Famous Jalan Kayu Prata Restaurant roti pratas ...the standard drop like shit. like leather now.the gravy is hopeless and it is $1 now per piece - kosong. Casuarina employs many Indian foreign workers and Thasevi still retain some old stuff..bloody standard no where now.

I prefer the Ah Mei Cafe (AMK HUB)...surprisingly good, soft, tender and crispy aromatic roti prata with a tasty fish gravy...

tumblr_lj0wix2o981qdkde1o1_500.jpg

Last edited:

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Do you guys like cheese with your prata?

Or do you prefer the usual plain prata or prata with egg or with onion.

I just tried cheese prata recently and it was ok to me.

Yet to try Cheese prata and those funny looking Ice cream pratas that some stalls are selling now..

1 Egg and 1 plain prata for me and fish curry is a must.. Then will wash it down with a hot Teh Tarik..

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Egg Prata is the best. And must be eaten while hot. Cold Prata sucks. :o

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Nowadays reviews like these we should take them with a pinch of salt. Makansutra as well as others probably request for a fee to have a stall featured in their reviews.

jw5

Loyal
Prata with banana is extremely tatsty :smile:

Haven't tried and wouldn't want to because I don't like to mix saltish with sweet food.
Also find it strange that people like salt with their fruits or soft drinks.
Ice cream flavours now starting to have funny saltish things, this is strange to me too.

jw5

Loyal
Yet to try Cheese prata and those funny looking Ice cream pratas that some stalls are selling now..

1 Egg and 1 plain prata for me and fish curry is a must.. Then will wash it down with a hot Teh Tarik..

yes, definitely fish curry for me too, but without the fish................................

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Some gong gongs will order Ice cream prata..

KNN, might as well buy 5 plain pratas and one tub of Ben and Jerry ice cream..

Go back home and just scoop the ice cream and put it on to the Prata lah....

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
haven't eaten prata since price went up to 60cents....................i won't be having any until price go back to 50cents..............

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
haven't eaten prata since price went up to 60cents....................i won't be having any until price go back to 50cents..............

like this you will never have the chance to eat liao
the cheapest now is 80 cents and it will only go up...some already $1.20 kosong...
no choice lah....everything is going up. if you don't eat now, it will soon be $2 kosong....
the worst are the foodcourt roti pratas - more expensive and lousy!

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Haven't tried and wouldn't want to because I don't like to mix saltish with sweet food.
Also find it strange that people like salt with their fruits or soft drinks.
Ice cream flavours now starting to have funny saltish things, this is strange to me too.

Bacon with pancakes are extremely nice boss, sweet and salty together makes a great combination. I was apprehensive like you before, but after I try it, heavenly :biggrin:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
*sighs*

gone were the good old days when pratas were cheap and good...

1. simpang bedok's prata was good, but not the current one listed. that stall was on the same side as the petrol kiosk, along those shop houses. those folks from Anglican High in the 80s and 90s would know. chased out because the owner too yaya to the NEA officers the last me heard.

2. upper changi road near langsat road that side. prata kept warm and chrispy. curry also quite aromatic. still in operation.

so hard to find a good prata stall these days... *sighs*

jw5

Loyal
Bacon with pancakes are extremely nice boss, sweet and salty together makes a great combination. I was apprehensive like you before, but after I try it, heavenly :biggrin:

Another good example of 2 things I won't eat together......................
Even if I eat a breakfast with bacon and pancakes, I'll eat the bacon separately dipped in some chilli sauce or with the scambled eggs and then eat the pancakes with butter and syrup.

jw5

Loyal
gone were the good old days when pratas were cheap and good...

so hard to find a good prata stall these days... *sighs*

*sighs*, good still have, cheap and good boliao..................................