• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Top 10 highest taxes in the world

larky28

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Taxes/blog/page.aspx?post=1692807&_blg=1,1692807

By David Seaman, MainStreet

The U.S. doesn’t have it so bad tax-wise compared to other nations, despite what Glenn Beck would have you believe.

Here‘s a rundown of average income tax rates for 10 high-tax countries, based on information from the Organisation for Economic Co-Operation and Development. The data are for 2008, the most recent numbers available.

10. Australia

Income tax rates:

Single, no child: 22.6%

Single, two children: 22.6%

One-earner married couple, no child: 19.1%

One-earner married couple, two children: 22.6%

Average income tax: 21.7%

It was recently reported that Australia’s federal government may raise taxes soon “to pay for an ambitious takeover of the nation's ailing public health care system.” Looks like health care legislation is hot, even down under.

9. France

Income tax rates:

Single, no child: 27.8%

Single, two children: 22.5%

One-earner married couple, no child: 23.9%

One-earner married couple, two children: 21.9%

Average Income Tax: 24%

Slow times are ahead for France’s economy. As BusinessWeek reported, “France’s economy will expand at a slower pace in the first quarter than previously estimated, growing 0.4% compared with an initial prediction of 0.5%, the central bank said in today’s statement.”

8. Italy

Income tax rates:

Single, no child: 29.3%

Single, two children: 24.3%

One-earner married couple, no child: 26.7%

One-earner married couple, two children: 21.9%

Average income tax: 25.6%

Italy’s economy has hit an unexpected speed bump, BusinessWeek reported: “Italy’s economy unexpectedly shrank in the fourth quarter as manufacturers cut back on production even after the country emerged from its worst recession in more than six decades.”

7. Greece

Income tax rates:

Single, no child: 26.3%

Single, two children: 25.5%

One-earner married couple, no child: 27.4%

One-earner married couple, two children: 26.6%

Average income tax: 26.5%

In case you haven’t heard, Greece is having a bad year. Its government is in massive debt, and its citizens oppose the government’s plans to correct the problem.

Those who work for the tax authorities in Greece are among the strikers who oppose the government’s new “austerity” plan to get its budget deficit under control.

6. Finland

Income tax rates:

Single, no child: 30%

Single, two children: 30%

One-earner married couple, no child: 30%

One-earner married couple, two children: 30%

Average Income Tax: 30%

They may be taxed at a pretty high 30%, but at least everyone is taxed evenly. Unfortunately, flat taxes aren’t helping the country’s economy fight the global recession. According to one recent report, Finland’s “economy last year saw its biggest annual fall since 1918 as the global downturn dampened demand for key exports like paper and mobile phones.”

When we can’t afford our Nokia (NOK) smart phones, it hurts Finland’s economy.

5. Austria

Income tax rates:

Single, no child: 33.9%

Single, two children: 32.2%

One-earner married couple, no child: 33%

One-earner married couple, two children: 32.2%

Average income tax: 32.8%

Austria was hit by the global economic downturn, but not as severely as many other countries: “Austrian GDP contracted 3.6% in 2009 and it will probably see positive growth of nearly 1% in 2010. Unemployment has not risen as steeply in Austria as elsewhere in Europe, partly because its government has subsidized reduced working hour schemes to allow companies to retain employees,” according to the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency.

4. Germany

Income tax rates:

Single, no child: 42.7%

Single, two children: 32.1%

One-earner married couple, no child: 33.2%

One-earner married couple, two children: 24.1%

Average income tax: 33%

Now this is interesting: “Thousands of wealthy Germans have come forward after authorities said they would buy a stolen CD with the names of up to 1,500 German citizens hiding cash away in Switzerland.”

The German government intends to purchase a disc for around 2.5 million euros ($3.4 million) that discloses the many rich German citizens who have been stashing cash in Switzerland to shirk German taxes. But now the tax man may have the upper hand.

3. Belgium

Income tax rates:

Single, no child: 42.5%

Single, two children: 39%

One-earner married couple, no child: 33.8%

One-earner married couple, two children: 31.3%

Average income tax: 36.7%

Belgium’s high tax rates make it difficult for retail workers to survive, says The Economist. “There are some genuinely tragic stories out there in this recession. For example, in Belgium, shop workers from the Carrefour supermarket chain are braced for a nationwide strike over plans to lay off nearly 2,000 staff at Belgian stores and depots. According to Le Soir newspaper, a 32-year-old cashier with five years' experience at Carrefour is paid 1,705 euros a month, gross. After Belgian taxes and social security charges are deducted, that is a brutally small amount to live on.”

2. Denmark

Income tax rates:

Single, no child: 40.9%

Single, two children: 40.9%

One-earner married couple, no child: 35.6%

One-earner married couple, two children: 35.6%

Average income tax: 38.25%

Denmark’s unemployment rate is much lower than ours. As recently reported by The Wall Street Journal, “Denmark's unemployment rate held steady in January for the third straight month, showing the same kind of resilience that has surprised market watchers in neighboring Norway and Sweden."

1. Hungary

Income tax rates:

Single, no child: 38.3%

Single, two children: 38.3%

One-earner married couple, no child: 38.3%

One-earner married couple, two children: 38.3%

Average income tax: 38.3%

According to a recent article in the Budapest Times, Hungarian politicians feel the tax burden needs to be lowered in order to stabilize the nation’s economy: “Tax cuts and employment growth are the main prescriptions offered by Hungary's major political parties to cure the country's lackluster competitiveness and its social ills.”

AngKuKuih

Alfrescian
Loyal
Larky

Yes you are right that the income tax from the first glance is high. For me, I have 3 kids and am earning about $70K. Yes I paid about $16K tax to the Australian Federal Government. However, I get $10K back from the Centrelink through my 3 kids. Effectively, I pay only $6K to the taxman. When you quote the high tax rate but ignoring the benefits that a tax payer gets back from the family benefit through Centrelink is a one sided view.

I hope my experience in my family hopefully gives a balanced view on the high tax country.

Regards
AngKuKuih

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Larky

Yes you are right that the income tax from the first glance is high. For me, I have 3 kids and am earning about $70K. Yes I paid about $16K tax to the Australian Federal Government. However, I get $10K back from the Centrelink through my 3 kids. Effectively, I pay only $6K to the taxman. When you quote the high tax rate but ignoring the benefits that a tax payer gets back from the family benefit through Centrelink is a one sided view.

I hope my experience in my family hopefully gives a balanced view on the high tax country.

Regards
AngKuKuih

The rule is very simple. Smart minded people will find ways to pay 0 tax through tax avoidance (not evasion mind you) even in countries with the highest taxes. Its the simple minded people who'll end up paying high taxes even if they could have avoided them. :wink:

mustspeakup

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not avoidance lah it is call tax rebates!!

Avoidance is to avoid your liability which makes you irresponsible like that!!

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
What about Singapore? Anyone did an analysis of it including CPF? With raising of the age limit, maximum withdrawal limit etc I'm sure it would be on par with the Australian taxes.

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree with you totally. Must look at whole package. Very often these foreign gov provide substantial support for uni edu. And you kids may end up going through uni for a small fraction of the cost. And the rates there do not reflect the relief for each family. The Gov may also provide heavily subsidized medical benefits.

Larky

Regards
AngKuKuih

redbull313

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lets see on average I pay less than 5% tax here in America and I just got my US$8000 tax check from the IRS after buying a florida foreclosure in 2009.

You just cant beat super-low American taxes.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lets see on average I pay less than 5% tax here in America and I just got my US$8000 tax check from the IRS after buying a florida foreclosure in 2009.

I am not trying to pour cold water, but the current studies from learned Americans show that the low tax regime is not substainable.

How is it possible that the states and fed have such huge budget deficit without affecting its Superpower status?

What we are seeing is the weakening of the US dollars and the reduction of the middle-income. The black hole is in the Fed Reserve, but their books are not up for scrutiny.

Well, at least you have low taxes to make up the difference.

zuoom

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am not trying to pour cold water, but the current studies from learned Americans show that the low tax regime is not substainable.

How is it possible that the states and fed have such huge budget deficit without affecting its Superpower status?

What we are seeing is the weakening of the US dollars and the reduction of the middle-income. The black hole is in the Fed Reserve, but their books are not up for scrutiny.

there's the "take" part, but there's also the "give" part. the figure after take n give would be the number to look at.

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal

OMG once again you make sense. This must be a record for you. Yes USA taxes are just too low with half the population paying 0 taxes and many more recieving money every year from the government due to excellent social safety nets in the US. The weaking of the dollar is the continued printing of money. Its not even interest load - 500 Billion a year now when it was 400 Billion in 1990. Its not the issue. Perhaps all the US need to do it a Clinton tax hike and return to budget surplus but you will see this November all the Democrats will be voted out of office and the low tax Republicans will be back. Glenn Beck and Rush Limbarugh would like all Americans to pay EVEN LOWER taxes!

n1etzche

Alfrescian
Loyal
wow, even pimco thinks the us economy is in the shitter, but then again who's gonna listen to their crazed ranting except for the fact they are the largest FI manager

Sovereign debt crisis may deepen: Pimco
March 11, 2010

Mohamed El-Erian, whose company runs the world’s biggest mutual fund, said deteriorating public finances around the world may affect the global economy more than is currently realised.

“The importance of the shock to public finances in advanced economies is not yet sufficiently appreciated and understood,” El-Erian, co-chief investment officer at Pacific Investment Management Co, wrote in an article on the Financial Times website.

The potential damage from increased government borrowings is “at present being viewed primarily - and excessively - through the narrow prism of Greece,” he wrote.

Governments may have to raise taxes and slash spending to cope with swelling deficits after nations including the US borrowed unprecedented amounts to stave off the global financial crisis, said El-Erian, who shares his job title with Bill Gross.

A failure to carry out fiscal measures in time would raise the possibility of governments seeking to eliminate excessive debt through inflation or default, he said.

Pimco has said debt strains in Greece, Portugal and Spain underscore its view that 2010 will be a year of slower-than- average growth, and predicts there will be a shrinking global role for the US economy.

Gross advised investors in a commentary published in January to seek investments in “less levered” countries such as China, India and Brazil whose economies are not as prone to “bubbling.” He called the UK “a must to avoid,” while recommending Germany and Canada.

The increasing debt burdens of countries including the US mean many nations classified as advanced economies now may have weaker prospects than emerging economies, El-Erian wrote in Financial Times’ article.

“US sovereign indebtedness has surged by a previously unthinkable 20 percentage points of gross domestic product in less than two years,” El-Erian said. “Countries will thus be forced to make difficult decisions relating to higher taxation and lower spending. If these do not materialise on a timely basis, the universe of likely outcomes will expand to include inflating out of excessive debt and, in the extreme, default and confiscation.”

Bloomberg
OMG once again you make sense. This must be a record for you. Yes USA taxes are just too low with half the population paying 0 taxes and many more recieving money every year from the government due to excellent social safety nets in the US. The weaking of the dollar is the continued printing of money. Its not even interest load - 500 Billion a year now when it was 400 Billion in 1990. Its not the issue. Perhaps all the US need to do it a Clinton tax hike and return to budget surplus but you will see this November all the Democrats will be voted out of office and the low tax Republicans will be back. Glenn Beck and Rush Limbarugh would like all Americans to pay EVEN LOWER taxes!

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi Red.. instead of focusing on low tax, you'll be better to look for higher revenue.. Once bigger incoming dollar is achieved. then start looking at minimizing tax.. Your advice is simply a layman's approach.

One of the layman's approach is to simply buy becoz it is CHEAP... You should focus on undervalued properties and buy before every up-swing... My due diligence checklist will show you how.. wana book for a formal consultation ?

wendypoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is no such thing as low taxes and good place, even in Singapore it is expensive so life in Singapore is better than Malaysia, Indonesia etc

Better life = Higher income taxes, consumer taxes... time to raise the GST again ?

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is no such thing as low taxes and good place, even in Singapore it is expensive so life in Singapore is better than Malaysia, Indonesia etc

Better life = Higher income taxes, consumer taxes... time to raise the GST again ?

Regrettably, the above is inevitable. Focusing on increasing revenue will improve your nett profits.

redbull313

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Red.. instead of focusing on low tax, you'll be better to look for higher revenue.. Once bigger incoming dollar is achieved. then start looking at minimizing tax.. Your advice is simply a layman's approach.

One of the layman's approach is to simply buy becoz it is CHEAP... You should focus on undervalued properties and buy before every up-swing... My due diligence checklist will show you how.. wana book for a formal consultation ?

The problem with Australian tax system is higher revenue = very very high tax with little deductions available by ATO.

You wont find that here in the US. We have over 1000 tax credits and deductions.

Anyway gotta go, the Paquiao fight is on........

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Independent studies do show that low taxes depress wages.