• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tony Tan Rejected Despite LKY's Backing

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Would you trust someone to be the president when his own cabinet colleagues did not trust him enough to be PM? LKY explicitly backed Tony Tan to be his successor as PM in the late 80s but then asked his cabinet to make the final decision. To his shock, they rejected Tony Tan overwhelmingly and chose GCT instead.

So what was it about Tony Tan that made him so desirable to LKY but so odious to his cabinet colleagues? I have no answer but as far as I'm concerned, if the cabinet dared to defy LKY then, it must have been quite serious.

For this reason alone, and there are many others, I will not be voting for Tony Tan.

Varuna

Alfrescian
Loyal
I remember it was mentioned that Tony Tan did not want the job and the Old man had to fall back on his second choice, GCT. So which is the correct version? :smile:

Last edited:

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
As if to make certain amends, PAP is now openly endorsing Tony Tan for the presidency. I wish him luck, he didn't need it though i would never quite vote for TT either.

http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110624-0000251/Tony-Tan-has-the-qualities-to-lead--Nathan

Tony Tan has the qualities to lead: Nathan
by Evelyn Choo 04:47 AM Jun 24, 2011SINGAPORE - Having worked with Dr Tony Tan when he was Defence Minister from 1995 to 2003 and Coordinating Minister for Security and Defence from 2003 to 2005, Acting Minister for Community Development, Youth and Sports Chan Chun Sing described Dr Tan as a strategic thinker who is "always very caring about all the people who work with him".

Major-General (NS) Chan had served in the army for more than two decades, rising to the rank of Chief of Army. Speaking to reporters yesterday at the launch of the Standard Chartered Marathon, MG (NS) Chan said Dr Tan has "very broad and wide, long-term vision" and he always has the "interests of the country in mind".

He added: "The other characteristic is that he's always very caring about all the people who work with him ... he has a very simple philosophy that if you take care of the people, the people will take care of the mission."

Yesterday, incumbent President S R Nathan said that Dr Tan has the qualities to lead the country. He also described Dr Tan as a remarkable man and wished him well in the Presidential Election, which must be held by Aug 31.

Mr Nathan, 87, was speaking to reporters on the sidelines of an Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore event.

Mr Nathan, who became the Republic's second Elected President when he was first elected in 1999, also said that he will decide whether to seek a third term within the next fortnight.

He said: "Everybody's asking me that question. I'm having sleepless nights trying not to answer. So not before long, you'll get the answer."

jw5

Loyal
I remember it was mentioned that Tony Tan did not want the job and the Old man had to fall back on his second choice, GCT. So which is the correct version? :smile:

One version of the story was that GCT was in fact 4th choice, after:

1. Lim Chee Onn, whom oldman himself supposedly decided was not so suitable.

2. Tony, who apparently politely declined.

3. Dhana, whom oldman himself supposedly deduced that Singaporeans were not ready for an Indian PM.

But only one version lah. :o :biggrin:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if PAP , according, to Tony Tan did not ask him to stand for presidential election, they should then remain neutral and not comment on the candidates.

so, its now clear that what Tony said is not true? PAP is now lending weight to Tony? So what does that leave the 4th Tan? (i.e. Nathan) - is it writing on the wall that he will not seek re-election?

leoman

Alfrescian
Loyal
he thot we always eat prata has become damn supid n dont know wat he mean
if PAP , according, to Tony Tan did not ask him to stand for presidential election, they should then remain neutral and not comment on the candidates.

so, its now clear that what Tony said is not true? PAP is now lending weight to Tony? So what does that leave the 4th Tan? (i.e. Nathan) - is it writing on the wall that he will not seek re-election?

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

hi there

1. aiyoh!
2. the bottomline: all sheep are the same sheep from the same flock.
3. just blah, blah and more blahs.
4. abolish the expensive 4mil presdy thing.
5. save 4mil immediately!

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
har...looking at it...

Tony Tan - PAP man,
TCB - also PAP man
TKL - PAP related

that leaves the final guy who said he will contest - that independant chap...what's his name...not a Tan one...

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Nobody ask him lah!, if you want to believe, he just made up his mind & resigned from SPH &..... Would you resign from jobs that pay you handsomely & go try for something in which the sum of it all pays more than the jobs you are in? Would you make such an unselfish move.:rolleyes:

Prataman while flipping his pratas & sipping teh tarik, " thorn ny ( sound like tony chap gajah), you take ove lah!":wink:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nobody ask him lah!, if you want to believe, he just made up his mind & resigned from SPH &..... Would you resign from jobs that pay you handsomely & go try for something in which the sum of it all pays more than the jobs you are in? Would you make such an unselfish move.:rolleyes:

Prataman while flipping his pratas & sipping teh tarik, " thorn ny ( sound like tony chap gajah), you take ove lah!":wink:

but given his position at GIC...i doubt he will do it without the consent of his "boss"

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The 4th chap akan datang. Also a Tan - S A Tan. Knowing the good pay to do FO, he is also keen.

shitonleeky

Alfrescian
Loyal
Prataman jolly well may lost his deposits should he decide to contest. He knows his time is up and is now going to turn his attention to making first-world prata.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
They were asked to pick their own leader and Tony organised the session in his house. I don't think any of them were particularly ambitious and the fact that they were going to be seat warmers must have played on their mind. Tony did not turn down or withdraw.

Varuna

Alfrescian
Loyal
They were asked to pick their own leader and Tony organised the session in his house. I don't think any of them were particularly ambitious and the fact that they were going to be seat warmers must have played on their mind. Tony did not turn down or withdraw.

So all along my impression of this chap to be unassuming was misplaced! Looks like he is also a very deep one. :biggrin: