• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

TOC's Farquhar: RAdm Lui Tuck Yew Potential PM!!

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
:eek::rolleyes::eek::rolleyes:
The man who would be king
Saturday, 28 March 2009, 10:35 pm | 1,398 views
A not uninteresting Cabinet reshuffle

There was little to fuss over Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong’s latest Cabinet reshuffle, which was announced on 26th March 2009 with minimal fanfare. That’s the norm in Singapore, where the ruling cabal prides itself on an orderly succession without the hoopla that usually accompanies similar transitions in other countries. Most of the changes have long been speculated on, but this masks what might be rather momentous implications for the political landscape.

Even so, for all its supposed banality there was still some surprise and not a little rancour over the “promotion” of Deputy Prime Minister S Jayakumar to the post of Senior Minister, a position that has traditionally carried little responsibility save that of a big-wig roaming ambassador. Some observers have panned the appointment as superfluous – in fact Mr Lee was breaking new ground by having two Senior Ministers, the other one being ex-Prime Minister Goh Chok Tong – considering that the position is largely seen as a means of gracefully retiring elder ministers. The conspicuous exception of course is Mr Lee Kuan Yew, who held the position from 1990 to 2004 and continues to exert a visibly heavy influence on policy.

Mr Jayakumar was long thought to be due to retire, but since the last election in 2006 he appears to have made himself too indispensable to be eased out of the Cabinet just yet. He is also thought to have earned some credit for Singapore’s win in the Pedra Branca dispute with Malaysia at the International Court of Justice, which was also a reminder of the need for his legal expertise in complex international issues such as climate change.

What his appointment also points to is the outsized centralisation of policy-making prerogative in the Prime Minister’s Office, a trend underscored by the appointment of yet another minister there, in the form of Mrs Lim Hwee Hua as Singapore’s first female minister. This partly reflects the government’s oft-stated mantra of the need for better coordination amongst disparate agencies, but it does raise questions about whether the office can be streamlined and the portfolios of its various inhabitants better defined. Already, the wage bill for the politicians in the Prime Minister’s Office is just slightly less than that of all the other ministries put together.

Mrs Lim’s appointment as full minister, while long expected, came with the twist that she is still not helming any ministry of her own. One reason is that there is simply no ministry up for grabs. But it is also possible that Mrs Lim’s promotion is meant to beef up the Aljunied constituency, which was the weakest ward for the ruling People’s Action Party (PAP) in the last election. This is particularly since the party’s helmsman in Aljunied, Foreign Minister George Yeo, has floated the possibility of retiring from politics. Furthermore, Mrs Lim would be a convenient foil for Ms Sylvia Lim of the Worker’s Party, who is the opposition’s only female heavyweight of note and had led her party’s team in Aljunied in 2006.

Heir today, gone tomorrow

But the real story of the reshuffle is essentially the tale of two admirals: one who would be Deputy Prime Minister, and another who, for all intents and purposes, would be heir-apparent to the Prime Minister.

The ascension of Defence Minister Teo Chee Hean (a former navy admiral) to the position vacated by Mr Jayakumar has been hypothesised since his entry into politics in 1992. He was immediately inducted into the Cabinet, where he has since turned in steady and competent performances, the most prominent of which was the military’s much-lauded mobilisation to aid Indonesia in the aftermath of the 2004 tsunami. Mr Teo is also thought to be a better grassroots man than the other obvious candidate for the deputy premiership, Mr George Yeo, who had some difficulty defending his ward the last time round in 2006.

The Prime Minister seems to recognise Mr Teo’s utility in this aspect. Asked about his new responsibilities, Mr Teo told reporters that one of his tasks was to ensure that the government remained connected to the ground. Surprisingly, he also said that he was to help strengthen Singapore’s ties with other countries. It’s hard to see how he would play a bigger role in this regard when Singapore already has two Senior Ministers, one Minister Mentor and another deputy premier and not to mention a foreign minister; in any case, Mr Teo already does a lot of travelling in his capacity as Defence Minister.

Yet Mr Teo’s appointment is still rather bold in a way: his real contribution might be to provide a slightly contrarian tack to a ruling cabal whose members seem overly like-minded at times. Mr Teo is known to be independent-minded with the gumption to back it up; moreover, unlike younger ministers like Vivian Balakrishnan or Raymond Lim, as deputy premier he will now have the heft to push his views.

Nevertheless there is little chance of Mr Teo becoming prime minister, short of something untoward happening to PM Lee. The two men are simply too close in age – given the ruling cabal’s proclivity for long-term planning, the ideal candidate is someone about a decade or so younger than PM Lee. And the only one in Cabinet who fits the bill is Rear Admiral (NS) Lui Tuck Yew, who was given the Ministry of Information, Communications and the Arts portfolio with the retirement of the incumbent.

In this regard PM Lee seems to have anointed an heir-apparent by promoting RAdm Lui to head his own ministry. Unlike other much talked-about candidates, such as Community Development, Youth and Sports Minister Vivian Balakrishnan, RAdm Lui has the right pedigree. He is the quintessential product of the establishment, having followed the same route of advancement through the military as PM Lee. He can therefore be counted on to protect the interests of the establishment – his Bill to regulate political films, for instance, is classic PAP doublespeak and tighter regulation in the guise of liberalisation. RAdm Lui’s new ministry is an important player in the government’s bid for control over burgeoning political discourse in cyberspace.

Dr Balakrishnan, on the other hand, was a private sector figure and an activist who was co-opted into the ranks. And unlike Finance Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam, RAdm Lui is of the right age and the right ethnic group – just a few months ago Mr Lee had said that Singapore was not ready to be led by someone from a minority group. The other advantage that RAdm Lui has is simply a dearth of competitors: unlike Mr Teo, who could count Mr Yeo as a peer, RAdm Lui doesn’t have any contemporaries who advanced as quickly as he has, with the other MPs from the batch of 2006 still lagging considerably.

But as the tragic tale ending in Kipling’s parable of the same title goes to show, nothing is set in stone, and Singapore’s political history is littered with promising figures who have fallen by the wayside. However, the ruling cabal seems to have taken a step closer to solve the vexing question of who should succeed PM Lee. If RAdm Lui turns in a decent performance, the odds are that he will be rotated quickly to head more heavyweight ministries, and there have been rumours that the trade and industry minister is also slated to retire. At this point, the prize seems very much his to lose.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
6) Andrew Loh on March 28th, 2009 11.53 pm I feel the next PM is not in the present Cabinet. That’s a reason why Teo CH was promoted to DPM. If for whatever reasons PM Lee cannot carry on, Teo CH will take his place.

The next PM will be in his mid-30s, and from the next General Elections.

There should be a period of 10 to 15 years for the person who will be the next PM to learn the ropes once he is inducted into the Cabinet. That means, PM Lee or Teo CH will have to be around for the next 10 to 15 years. BY this time, the PM-to-be would be about 50 years old.

Teo CH is actually a contingency if anything should happen to PM Lee. That’s my feeling.

But that doesn’t solve the real problem the PAP has - attracting people with real calibre in the first place.
7) Andrew Loh on March 28th, 2009 11.59 pm Also, the cabinet reshuffle is also a power-consolidation exercise.

If you look at the “mini-cabinet” called the Prime Minister’s Office, besides the 3 powermen - PM, MM, SM - there are also the ex-Law Minister, Defence Minister, Home Affairs Minister and the Labour Chief.

This little group controls everything that matters.

All the power is in that little group.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Talk about lack of political acumen. Even the neighbourhood Ah Soh can do a better job. Most of it is a repeat of SPH including some of the sentences. The part on Lui floored me.

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroobal

Kremlinology and reading the Tea Leaves has never been easy. Heck the old CIA made a whole science out of the politburo appearances on red square during May Day. SG Politics is mundane thus what happens with the PAP hierachy matters more than actual elections it self thus the shades of UMNO's annual convention.

Point of interests, there have always been factions between the PAP, though their internal politics rarely spill over into the open for all to see. What does the current realignment mean ? Ok here's my speculation based on what I see of the tea leaves.

1. PM needs a possible successor to reassure certain party factions. Why primarily because of health and on this issue I suspect there is some fire to justify the smoke. Has anyone seen the PM up close lately as in baby kissing hand shaking distance ?

2. WKS was a joke beforehand and an even bigger joke after MSK. Jayakumar well was qualified but his race ruled him out. He did not want to be retired but they needed his position but they could not demote him hence the new SM

3. TCH qualifies in all aspects, Military, Presidents scholar, GCT's man, stints in all the key ministries, Someone to reassure the party faithful that if lightning strikes twice, there is a back up plan.

Locke

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroobal

Kremlinology and reading the Tea Leaves has never been easy. Heck the old CIA made a whole science out of the politburo appearances on red square during May Day. SG Politics is mundane thus what happens with the PAP hierachy matters more than actual elections it self thus the shades of UMNO's annual convention.

Point of interests, there have always been factions between the PAP, though their internal politics rarely spill over into the open for all to see. What does the current realignment mean ? Ok here's my speculation based on what I see of the tea leaves.

1. PM needs a possible successor to reassure certain party factions. Why primarily because of health and on this issue I suspect there is some fire to justify the smoke. Has anyone seen the PM up close lately as in baby kissing hand shaking distance ?

2. WKS was a joke beforehand and an even bigger joke after MSK. Jayakumar well was qualified but his race ruled him out. He did not want to be retired but they needed his position but they could not demote him hence the new SM

3. TCH qualifies in all aspects, Military, Presidents scholar, GCT's man, stints in all the key ministries, Someone to reassure the party faithful that if lightning strikes twice, there is a back up plan.

Locke

Talking about smoke. You are not far off the mark. Old man in recent weeks mentioned that stress and cancer had a correlation and cited a PRC medical guru. This came out of the blue and I suspect he was speaking about concerns that LHL is fast becoming and absentee PM and the fact that he appears after the dust has settled so that hindsight comes forth.

Not to mention that Ho Ching has also stepped down.

I am wondering if there is leadership group that running the country and I am not talking about the cabinet or a younger generation lot.

I do agree with Porfirio that next PM if it is not TCH is currently not in the PAP. This GE is interesting.

Do agree with your assessment of TCH in totality.

When this thread first emerged, did ponder a bit and had chats with couple of observers. 2006 cohort appeares to have have failed miserably. Apparently Alfian Saat is the most disliked person in the party politics for having shot down the Malay candidate that was groomed for higher office. Alfian if you remember sent a ballastic missle down his way with a week of GE2006. To make it worse, the malay community is already polarised about Alfian himself.

Lee YiShan is fast emreging as Lim Chee Onn wannabe - no time for kissing babies or patting the backs of cadres. You know the country is in trouble when the cadres want Irene.

As they say - never ever give a monkey a flower.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
New faces watching new media
Monday, 30 March 2009, 12:13 pm | 817 views
PN Balji

Who says Cabinet changes here don’t spring surprises? Dig a little deep into the reshuffle announced by the Prime Minister on Thursday and you will find at least one.

Of all the ministries, only one has an Acting Minister. And for support, that Acting Minister has just one Parliamentary Secretary; that too a newbie as far as political appointments go.

All others have at least one, in some cases two, full minister and, at the very least, a Senior Parliamentary Secretary.

This is a surprise because the Ministry of Information and the Arts, which is being left under the charge of those who came into politics in the last elections in 2006 (Mr Lui Tuck Yew and Mr Sam Tan), is facing testing times that will determine how Singapore’s socio-political future will be shaped.

If there is one Cabinet appointment that needs an experienced hand, it is Mr Lui’s. With the internet media getting more shrill by the day and with the government still in a reactive mode in what’s thrown up in this largely faceless community, his job is going to be an onerous one.

Hovering over these developments is the next general elections and how the government will take its fight to the new media.

Three events in the last four months show how tricky things are getting.

The public ticking-off of a top civil servant for his article on his family’s culinary trip to France, the decision to come out with a report card sometime later this year on how well Town Councils are run and the Defence Ministry’s official response to the death of one of its medical officers in Melbourne. They all have one thing in common: by and large, it was the blogs and websites that were keeping the issues on the boil.

Having tasted blood, the new media is likely to push the envelope further. In fact, one website in a commentary recently said that bloggers will continue to push and push an issue until they get a reaction. In short, they are going into an area that has been out of bounds in Singapore: crusading journalism.

How the government responds to this effort to redraw the battle lines is primarily going to be Mr Lui’s job.

A crackdown will be a step backward for a government that has spoken of a light touch and for a country that is very plugged into the new internet world order. A folded-arms approach will mean surrendering to the new media community.

Mr Lui and his team have no other alternative but to engage this community. A robust defence of established principles is just not going to work. Instead, an unemotional sifting through of the issues discussed, identifying the talking points and responding to them is the way to move forward.

Here is an example. The angst over the Town Council debate late last year was all about two questions: Why did some of these organisations keep quiet about their investments in the doomed Lehman products? And why do they need to accumulate so much public money ($2 billion) in their sinking funds?

The government’s response should have tackled these questions directly and openly instead of, at least in one case, using that line from an old record: Be thankful.

Responses like this don’t wash anymore.

Mr Lui and his team need to convince the unconvinced that online media, despite misgivings of it being faceless and priding itself in a talk-first-think-later culture, is here to stay. And its influence can only grow.

They need to come out with a comprehensive plan in dealing and debating with them. Sometimes explaining policies painfully and patiently. Sometimes giving back as good as it gets. And, let me hasten to add, this cannot be done solely in the traditional media, which has been the practice all this while.

Mr Lui and Mr Sam Tan should not be the lone rangers in this fight. They need all the help they can get from every other arm of government. From MPs to civil servants, they must realise that the shift to the internet is irreversible.

MICA needs help and with the Cabinet changes already in place, the next best thing is to look at a high-level committee drawing people, even bloggers, to come together for a serious re-look of a policy that is in danger of being swept away by the currents of change.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
20) Nah on March 31st, 2009 1.49 am David Lim was ACTING Minister at MICA or whatever it was then known BUT failed to make it to full minister and was later dropped as MP.

Lui is superficial and does not show much intellect nor wisdom from his speeches and statements made.

God help us with such a calibre.

21) A Tan on March 31st, 2009 8.26 am I see this posting as a failure of the class 2006, 2001 and 1997. And of the people who selected them

If he is the Special One to make Internet more PAP friendly, Nah is #20 right

“Lui is superficial and does not show much intellect nor wisdom from his speeches and statements made.

God help us with such a calibre.”

Anyway someone who can make Net more PAP friendly, is someone that the PAP portliboro will deem to be “subversive”.

As to him being the Anointed to educate the PAP to get real abt the Net., now that is black comedy at its finest.

22) Ah Hock on March 31st, 2009 10.05 am If I recall correctly, Lui was brought into politics coz he couldn’t go further up in the navy after two patrol boats langar and some sailors died under his wach.

24) George Bush on March 31st, 2009 10.19 am 11) Thanks balji on March 30th, 2009 6.16 pm

I doubt Lui will make it to the DPM level. the odds of that are higher than of West Brom winning the EPL someday.

I think TCH will become PM in early 2011, with Tharman and Ng EH as the DPMs. Ng will likely succeed Teo sometime after 2016 polls.

25) curse of the golden period on March 31st, 2009 10.49 am Agree that TCH will become PM in early 2011, BUT only over the oldfart’s dead body.
If the prediction comes through, remind me to share my vintage wine, whisky and brandy with you and other like minded folks.

On the otherhand, I will have to quickly dispose my collection of vintage booze should NG become annointed as PM. No point carrying it with me when I leave for good.
I for one moment never believe this NG bloke is a bargain, and so are all the blockheads inducted into the PAP.

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroobal

Feel like a prophet, my private speculation abt PM's health and here today the PM saying to the ST that he loss weight because his doctor asked him to.

Locke

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well Farquhar appears to be in 'good company' based on Wayang Party's claim that the next PM is already in the present Cabinet:rolleyes::biggrin:

Talk about lack of political acumen. Even the neighbourhood Ah Soh can do a better job. Most of it is a repeat of SPH including some of the sentences. The part on Lui floored me.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
So you do not buy the PM's BMI tale eh?:rolleyes::p

Locke