• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

TNP gets new editor ... reason ??

i_am_belle

Alfrescian
Loyal
AFTER 22 years with The Straits Times, veteran journalist Dominic Nathan, 45, will be heading The New Paper from today.

He replaces Mr Ivan Fernandez, 58, who has been TNP's editor since 2000. Mr Fernandez will take a three-month break before moving to The Straits Times in a senior editing role.

towards the end of last year, TNP has been very informative abt the not-so-nice stories happening in s'pore, things that PAP/ST would want to sweep under the dirty carpet ...
1) abject poverty (eg. story of 3 retarded sisters in chinatown)
2) cruelty to animals (eg. cats thrown from high bldg)
3) violent crimes (eg. burglary + arson not once but twice, in the same block of flats)
4) loan shark tactics (eg. bullying neighbors of debtors)
5) poor customer service due to overcrowding
6) poor public transport due to overcrowding

TNP has opened my eyes to the fact that our society has changed beyond recognition ... ST does not report on the sordid details, and so do not give us the true picture of social problems emerging in s'pore ...

i wonder is this the reason why the editor had to go ? PAP is afraid that more & more citizens will wake up to the fact that they're mismanaging the country and/or sleeping on the job, putting economic growth ahead of citizens' well-being ... prosperity has not filtered down to the man-in-the-street anyway, and the income disparity is comparable to that of other countries where dictatorship reigns ...

is the new editor a PAP crony ? if TNP only reports on 'happy happy news' like celebrity marriages, what performance is showing at esplanade, and that crap ... im not going to buy/read TNP anymore ...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dominic is a mild character and the probably the most apolitical character after Alan John in the line-up. Used to cover green, conservation beat. TNP is essentially a football rag and uses large fonts and graphics to cover space when it comes to cover human interest stories. One simple case will have graphics showing culprit who stole cucumber running across the neighbourhood. Then they will have small cut-out showing what cucumbers look like, where they come from. Another cut-out will show the culprit has facebook and has been selling pokemon to the public. Then Lionel de Souza will be interviewed where he will relate how cucumbers are stolen during wwII. Maybe he will become the next Balaji.

jw5

Loyal
Occasionally, there would be juicy stories about 3 way affairs involving married men and china women, hired killings involving singaporeans, untimely deaths in seedy hotel rooms, unusual sexual relationships, incidents involving prominent singaporeans or their spouses in nearby countries or islands.
Then oops, they find out that these are "no-no" stories, and you don't ever hear about them again.

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dominic is a mild character and the probably the most apolitical character after Alan John in the line-up. Used to cover green, conservation beat. TNP is essentially a football rag and uses large fonts and graphics to cover space when it comes to cover human interest stories. One simple case will have graphics showing culprit who stole cucumber running across the neighbourhood. Then they will have small cut-out showing what cucumbers look like, where they come from. Another cut-out will show the culprit has facebook and has been selling pokemon to the public. Then Lionel de Souza will be interviewed where he will relate how cucumbers are stolen during wwII. Maybe he will become the next Balaji.

Unless he's changed drastically in the last 10 years, I hope that Dominic will rid the gutters out of the New Paper. Especially their sporadic sensationalized stories of homosexuals. Not easy considering the number of evangelical Christians of the Thio mother and daughter persuasion in the paper. Don't forget one of the mentees of the the Feminist Mentor in the Aware saga was ex-TNP too.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hope so. I am pretty sure, he is the same.

Unless he's changed drastically in the last 10 years, I hope that Dominic will rid the gutters out of the New Paper. Especially their sporadic sensationalized stories of homosexuals. Not easy considering the number of evangelical Christians of the Thio mother and daughter persuasion in the paper. Don't forget one of the mentees of the the Feminist Mentor in the Aware saga was ex-TNP too.

Lee Hsien Tau

Alfrescian
Loyal

Lois Ng, colleague of Irene Ng.

coolwater82

It's only his second week on the job but Dominic plans to carry out a review to see what else can be done to improve sales of TNP. Operations-wise, he is leaving it to his deputy, Melvinderpal Singh.

Dominic is quite a soft-spoken guy. Nobody has bad things to say about him.

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's only his second week on the job but Dominic plans to carry out a review to see what else can be done to improve sales of TNP.

Let's see.... More misleading headlines?

More classified adverts for massage palours?

Or the marketing team can suggest using waxed paper for front pages so that lunchtime crowd can buy TNP to shield themselves from any sudden downpour

coolwater82

He plans to meet with individual desks - news, show, sports - and also the beats within news to carry out a review of the TNP.

He thinks its timely to look at each section and the areas TNP covers to decide if TNP needs to make any changes.

Page 1 will also be reviewed - to see how we can better sell our stories to get people to part with 70 or 80 cents.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for the input.

He plans to meet with individual desks - news, show, sports - and also the beats within news to carry out a review of the TNP.

He thinks its timely to look at each section and the areas TNP covers to decide if TNP needs to make any changes.

Page 1 will also be reviewed - to see how we can better sell our stories to get people to part with 70 or 80 cents.

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
TNP is like the summaried version of ST. But nowadays we have free papers doing the same thing. Sinkapore is too small so same news in all the papers.

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
I used to buy TNP to read while drinking coffee and having lunch, esp football news. I stopped reading TNP once they stopped having the afternoon edition. Why the fuck should I pay something I just read on my laptop in the morning? Reproductions of all the English publications.

Not to mention Tohari Paijan, the (hindside) football expert.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The newpaper want to be english version wanbao with focusing on football. but they only sensationalize all their frontpage with no exclusive news. We can read more interesting opinion on crime and social issue on forum. Also, all their football news can be found on the web.
Who want to spend money on this newspaper? I rather buy a cup of kopi.

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
The newpaper want to be english version wanbao with focusing on football. but they only sensationalize all their frontpage with no exclusive news. We can read more interesting opinion on crime and social issue on forum. Also, all their football news can be found on the web.
Who want to spend money on this newspaper? I rather buy a cup of kopi.

Well, not all pple can surf online to get their football news fix so they do have a niche market. But if they sell in the morning, then very difficult cos got ST, BT, Today and the other one (cannot remember). Who the f wants to buy a stale TNP during noon?

I think doing a noon feature still got market. There are a lot of idle pple willing to buy TNP during noon time. I seriously wonder why they stopped. Cost issue? Anyone care to share?

Lee Hsien Tau

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, not all pple can surf online to get their football news fix so they do have a niche market. But if they sell in the morning, then very difficult cos got ST, BT, Today and the other one (cannot remember). Who the f wants to buy a stale TNP during noon?

I think doing a noon feature still got market. There are a lot of idle pple willing to buy TNP during noon time. I seriously wonder why they stopped. Cost issue? Anyone care to share?

Simple. TNP afternoon means need to employ people doing third shift. Means must pay extra allowance also.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

i also agree the morning timeslot is too overcrowded. Some more, the Newpaper cannot compete on quality. their story really cannot make it.
Last time in the afternoon they can have result and commentary on late night games like champion league. but that was the only advantage over other english papers.
they should become like The Sun a feature topless Page 3 girls. Sales sure boomz!

coolwater82

>>I think doing a noon feature still got market. There are a lot of idle pple willing to buy TNP during noon time. I seriously wonder why they stopped. Cost issue? Anyone care to share?

The previous TNP editor wanted to switch to morning to fight head-on with ST and Today, and carry noon edition only on days when there were EPL matches the day before.