• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tips on Driving to Penang

tima81

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi bros,

I'm planning to drive all the way up to Penang. What are the things that i have to be careful and take note of? Is it better to drive at night ( to Avoid the JBJ) or drive in the day. Any safe place along the way to rest for a couple of mins? Any tow truck number in Malaysia or S'pore that i can call up if something goes wrong with my car? Please do advise

royster79

Alfrescian
Loyal
IMO no need to drive there lah... I think take bus better.. Much more cheaper and no hassles.. Driving up the NS highway is more dangerous than u think..

But if u really want to, I suggest u get a malaysian friend to go with u.. At least during any problems, he/she can still help u to settle..:rolleyes:

Leonardo6908

Alfrescian
Loyal
Watch out for on coming cars flashing headlights at you. Clear indication that there is police block ahead. Likewise, please flash your headlights to warn others in the opposite direction to warn others if you come across police blocks.

The damned m&d Matas are well known highway robbers. So drivers in Malaysia please unite.

Tailok

Alfrescian
Loyal
I used to drive up to Penang, my hometown. I guess you have to make a few checklist.
1. Check your insurance 24 hr breakdown assist for M'sia the number to call. Else get AA membership.

2. Service your car. Check brake pad.

3. Try not to speed. Watch out for helpful M'sian drivers who flashes their headlamps if speedtraps ahead. Best tip is not to speed. Then dun worry.

4. Try to start early. Normally I start b4 6 am. Then I can reach KL for breakfast at 9am. Lunch in Ipoh at 11.30 am. Penang by 3-4pm. Well b4 dark. Slow relaxing drive too.

5. Try to use major stops along highway. You can take a shower too. Very refreshing. At the same time, give your car a rest. The engine n tyres are super hot. Watch the temperature.

Drivecarefully. Have a nice holidays. Relax man. :p

tima81

Alfrescian
Loyal
thought its more dangerous to drive up during day time as there are many JBJ around looking for coffee money?

Tailok

Alfrescian
Loyal
Then prepare to have some RM10 & RM50 to pay for their coffee. Be nice lah. Friendly neighbour oso nid some kopi.. :p

smoothnsleek

Alfrescian
Loyal
I ride often in M'sia, to Thailand. Night, day, no prob. Just be alert... you'll be surprised how relaxing driving (I drive too) at constant 110kph can be. You'll also reach your planned destination fresh (esp in a/c car) after regular 15min breaks (at petrol koisks) after every 150km. Many R&Rs are planned such that people have choices of stopping every 100,150,200 etc kilometres.

I prefer night drive/rides... less traffic, better visibility of other vehicles ( but admitedly, you take chances that there are no unseen obstacles on the road), cooler and faster/better service at R&Rs/petrol kiosks. The only place I'd caution is after Ipoh tunnel...very misty ard 2 to 4am. Fog lights will help.

This is in brief. Hope it helps.

smoothnsleek

Alfrescian
Loyal
another thing...

The Penang bridge is clogged up during peak hours...both ways.
Peak hours will be same as ours....people going to work, going off work.
It's a slow tortuorous crawl. On my bike was better though still as frustrating.

You might plan to arrive in early hours of the morn and leave later at night.
Yes, it screws up hotel check-in/out timing but that's the way I do it to get a more enjoyable vacation.

Cheers!

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
Driving at night you see nothing but constandly stare at the rear light of the car in front of you. Eyes will get tired easily. I ever experience my eyes blacking out for 2 secs which is very dangerous.

hunter

Alfrescian
Loyal
Any tow truck number in Malaysia or S'pore that i can call up if something goes wrong with my car?

I recommend AA. It's not only for this penang trip but good for driving is Singapore as well.

smoothnsleek

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can somebody recommend a good hotel in KL. Budget RM200-Rm300

The Concorde or Equatorial KL is within walking distance to vibrant night life, if that's what u're looking for. Also Twin Towers is abt 15mins away. Bkt Bintang for it's shopping abt 20 mins on foot.

Just behind Concorde you have hawker food that caters to the night folks so no prob if you get hungry middle of the night. Directly opp Concorde is 24hr petrol kiosk which is like 7-11.

Just my suggestion. Cheers n have a good time in KL!

S

Scolari

Wow! bros, thks for the valuable info. Definitely helps when driving up. :biggrin: