• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tips for settling down in OZ

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
wahahah typical Aussie humor. In general, I have found that people here are friendlier and cheerful, they would also do impromptu things during their jobs like the tram driver you mention.

Wet and rainy in Melbourne...

Today the tram driver started singing over the PA to his captive audience of office workers, schoolkids and and grandmums... about how raindrops were falling on his tram...

Everyone had a good laugh. :biggrin:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
One factor that has bearing is the suburb that you are in. Pick a good one and you will be fine. Australia like many 1st world countries have websites that reveal demographics that will be useful.

Australians have an egalitarian streak and tend to treat people well no matter who they are. They are however very private when it comes to their home and their families. Much of the interaction takes place at the workplace, fetching kids from school or school related activities or around sports clubs and sport events. The practice is to go dutch when meeting up for coffee, meals etc ( without exception). Most Singaporeans have difficulty handling this part and insist that they pay. Do not be offended. When in Rome do as the Romans do.

I know of Singaporeans who throw their house open, invite their neighbours etc but end up with the wrong end of town. The Australian practice is to have a street party for the neighbours usually at year end. Parties at home are meant for relatives and close friends. If you are invited to a home, it usually one or two families and one has to reciprocate. These events are due to kids attending the same school, work or business related or because there is common interest or hobby. The ubiquitious BBQ is meant for friends and relatives.

Then you have the asian (Singaporean/Malaysian) group dynamics. No ang no unless married to an asian spouse. Someone will host it based on potluck. People take turns hosting it.

Then you have church group - Singaporean/Malaysian.

Don't worry, your kids will make good friends and across the spectrum.

Thanks for insights bros. Sounds like it will be ok if one is willing to open up and mix with people. Of course there will be a few bad apples but every place has them. I'll be going to perth tomorrow for reccee trip. Please write if you have any recommendations and tips. For the holiday and for settling down there eventually.

facadegeniality

Alfrescian
Loyal
7) When it comes to financing don't be a hero. Do your research. The usual local bank loan will do just fine. If anyone recomends multi-currency loan for house purchase (such as singapore denominated loan for its cheaper interest to buy a house in OZ), look around quickly for a big stick and wallop the guy.

i disagree with this point. Scroobal, may i know why u think this way?

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
One factor that has bearing is the suburb that you are in. Pick a good one and you will be fine. Australia like many 1st world countries have websites that reveal demographics that will be useful.

Australians have an egalitarian streak and tend to treat people well no matter who they are. They are however very private when it comes to their home and their families. Much of the interaction takes place at the workplace, fetching kids from school or school related activities or around sports clubs and sport events. The practice is to go dutch when meeting up for coffee, meals etc ( without exception). Most Singaporeans have difficulty handling this part and insist that they pay. Do not be offended. When in Rome do as the Romans do.

I know of Singaporeans who throw their house open, invite their neighbours etc but end up with the wrong end of town. The Australian practice is to have a street party for the neighbours usually at year end. Parties at home are meant for relatives and close friends. If you are invited to a home, it usually one or two families and one has to reciprocate. These events are due to kids attending the same school, work or business related or because there is common interest or hobby. The ubiquitious BBQ is meant for friends and relatives.

Then you have the asian (Singaporean/Malaysian) group dynamics. No ang no unless married to an asian spouse. Someone will host it based on potluck. People take turns hosting it.

Then you have church group - Singaporean/Malaysian.

Don't worry, your kids will make good friends and across the spectrum.

Aiya, to make friends with Ang mos ( I don't really classify them Australians as they all come from various background eg. NZ/Greek/Ireland etc.) just invite them for a drinking session at a local pub. Some are generous and will pay for drinks. Or join them for sports and they'll certainly welcome you with open arms. Sometimes you could also have one to one coffee or lunch session with them and they will appreciate you as their mates not just a typical Asian migrant. U may also invite them(with their partners) for birthday or house warming functions. U never know what help you might seek from them such as job references.

I know some ABCs or those been here long time still stick with Asians only, IMO this is not what my social life strive to be if living in a western country.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yo kingat33, how are you doing ?

I hope your prediction is still the same. I will be extremely 'happy' coz I choose the opposite ! I am optismistic ;-) the currency AUD/SGD is 1.27. Soon it'll hit 1.40 ?

we shall see axe and just to let u have a little info about myself. I am a partner in a realestate agency in sydney and are also working full-time in the banking industry. Tell u things aren't that rosy as the media and property spruikers want us to believe. They are doing it purely for vested interest and I could also easily afford another couple of property but choose not to buy now. They will definetely be much cheaper in the coming months and I knew cos due to the nature of my work. Why do u think the Rba halt increasing interest rate this month? They are scared my friend cos Oz economy esp mining is deterioting due to slower demand from china as we all know that the chinese govt has stop lending and that itself spells disaster for Oz. Another hint: look at the stock market for an indication of the actual state of the economy not the media for goodness sake!

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yo kingat33, how are you doing ?

I hope your prediction is still the same. I will be extremely 'happy' coz I choose the opposite ! I am optismistic ;-) the currency AUD/SGD is 1.27. Soon it'll hit 1.40 ?

Rates still on hold, kingrant's statements made in July. RBA do have concerns, but their statements seems to be a cautious one. I do hope the property cool down. There is an interesting article in SMH today, stating its NSW that is contributing to this "housing shortage". Melbourne apparently have a bigger supply of land being released compared to this state. Its all the bureaucracy in this state that is causing all the house price rising. Vote bloody labor out I say.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Rates still on hold, kingrant's statements made in July. RBA do have concerns, but their statements seems to be a cautious one. I do hope the property cool down. There is an interesting article in SMH today, stating its NSW that is contributing to this "housing shortage". Melbourne apparently have a bigger supply of land being released compared to this state. Its all the bureaucracy in this state that is causing all the house price rising. Vote bloody labor out I say.

I think rates will go up by Melbourne Cup day!
I am already suffering because the banks are eating my deposit interest instead of raising rates for the borrowers!

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yah today jobless rate data out. Pushed shares up again and almost $0.98USD.

Interest rate will have to go up NEXT MONTH because the the banks are feeling the pressure of narrowing profit margins due ot higher lending cost not passed on to borrowers. This is not substainable.

Going on an overseas tour soon to take advantage of the high AUD. :smile:

THE Australian dollar is trading close to the highest point since the currency was floated 27 years ago.

The domestic currency hit US98.44 cents late this afternoon, as it extended its march towards parity with the embattled US greenback, The Australian reports.

The Aussie dollar had been trading higher throughout the Australian trading session, after official data showed the unemployment rate stayed steady at 5.1 per cent during September.

The jobs report found that the economy added 49,500 jobs during the month, exceeding economists’ expectations and showing the Australian labour market was remaining robustly tight.

Most of the new jobs were likely to have been created in the domestic mining industry.

The stronger jobs numbers increased the prospect the Reserve Bank will raise interest rates when it meets on Melbourne Cup Day next month.

The chance of a 25 basis-point increase before the jobs result was 40 per cent, but it jumped to 68 per cent after the data was released.

The $A had been trading at US97.63c ahead of the unemployment figure, and immediately shot higher to US98.44c.

The dollar's post-float peak is US98.48c.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/business/aus...ck/story-e6frfm1i-1225935558462#ixzz11efb2nxs

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal

Do not bet on property cooling, if we have favourable employment and economy.. together with profits in stock market and high immigration, the property prices will heat up again..

The only solution for Australia affordability is the implementation of LEASEHOLD properties... juz like SG...

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do not bet on property cooling, if we have favourable employment and economy.. together with profits in stock market and high immigration, the property prices will heat up again..

The only solution for Australia affordability is the implementation of LEASEHOLD properties... juz like SG...

i concur.....the rent keep going up...gona reside on the streets soon.....the prob is the aust govt has to eradicate conservative thinking......anything more than 5 storey is consider too much..damn..

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
i concur.....the rent keep going up...gona reside on the streets soon.....the prob is the aust govt has to eradicate conservative thinking......anything more than 5 storey is consider too much..damn..

Yes, Aust govt, in particular the Council - elected by the community, is too weak. They should allow more build up unless there is a "convenant" restriction.. Sadly, the Local Planning Act restricts intense development, differs from the Federal policy. Unlike SG, this place is chaos ! The more problems we have, the better will be for the investors :wink: I like it !

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, Aust govt, in particular the Council - elected by the community, is too weak. They should allow more build up unless there is a "convenant" restriction.. Sadly, the Local Planning Act restricts intense development, differs from the Federal policy. Unlike SG, this place is chaos ! The more problems we have, the better will be for the investors :wink: I like it !

It is the British disease brought down-under. They are afraid of getting into lifts or drunk residents falling over the balconies ???
The Brits are poor urban planners.

That is why I want to start a mortgage lender :biggrin:
Borrow all the excess cash from Singaporeans and give 3% interest back to them.
Sell loans to Aussie home buyers at 6.5% and pocket the difference.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is why I want to start a mortgage lender :biggrin:
Borrow all the excess cash from Singaporeans and give 3% interest back to them.
Sell loans to Aussie home buyers at 6.5% and pocket the difference.
[/QUOTE]

Good job ! I am playing around with interest rate too.. right hand take and left hand out.. profit the difference :p

Maddy

Alfrescian
Loyal
MY TIP

congrats to arse007, arse168, neddy, iwc, fishbluff for all your families kena cancer. ..........
Edit Report 23-09-2010 07:34 AMMaddy
Poverty in Australia

A 15 month-long Australian Senate inquiry, entitled “A hand up not a hand out: Renewing the fight against poverty”, identifies a continuing decline in income for many poor households and emphasises the central role of employment opportunities in tackling poverty. It highlights these points:

Twenty-one per cent of Australians — about 3.6 million people — live on less than $A400 per week, which is $31 less than the full-time minimum wage

The Democrats believe that the level of poverty in Australia is unacceptable. The wealth gap between the rich and poor in Australia has grown over the past decade. Despite more than a decade of continual economic growth, this prosperity has left many in middle Australia standing still and many of the poorest worse off.

In recent times, the Government has even pushed through legislation which is directly contributing to higher poverty by reducing the incomes of many sole parents and people with disabilities.

Who is affected by Poverty?
> Indigenous Peoples
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people continue to be the most disadvantaged group in Australia. More >>
> Women and sole parents
Elderly single women and female sole parents are over represented in groups living on low incomes. More >>
> Children
The rate of poverty amongst children is 9.5 per cent, indicating that almost half a million children are living in poverty. More >>
> Young people and students
Poverty among young people is now so widespread that Governments must consider urgent action that goes beyond current policies. More >>
> People with disabilities
Poverty is particularly prevalent amongst people who have a disability. More >>
> Migrants and Refugees
Migrants and refugee communities face multiple disadvantages upon their arrival in Australia. More >>
> The Ageing population
Australians aged over 65 years are concentrated at the bottom of the income spectrum. More >>

> Homeless People
The estimated number of homeless people in Australia on Census night in 2001 was 100 000. More >>
> Rural and Regional communities
The factors influencing disadvantage in these communities include limited employment opportunities and a lack of services. More >>

The issues around poverty are complex. For a detailed analysis please see our following Action Plans:
Edit Report
Edit Report 21-09-2010 05:49 AMMaddy
Australian jailed for 'thrill' killing of Chinese

SYDNEY — A man who murdered a Chinese woman in Australia was Wednesday given a life sentence for the brutal attack which the judge described as a premeditated, "thrill" killing of a complete stranger.

Stavros Papadopoulos, 22, pleaded guilty to murdering 26-year-old University of Tasmania accounting student Zhang "Tina" Yu in his Hobart apartment in June 2009, reports said.

His accomplice, 22-year-old Daniel Jo Williams, was sentenced to 10 years in jail on a charge of manslaughter.

Tasmania's Supreme Court heard that the men met Yu at a takeaway pizza shop in the early hours of the morning and had driven her to Papadopoulos's apartment, The Mercury newspaper in Hobart said.

Over the next three hours, she was subjected to such terrible violence and sexual abuse by Papadopoulos that she pleaded to be killed quickly, it said.

After being repeatedly punched, thrown against walls and dragged around by her hair, Papadopoulos suddenly smashed a large concrete brick onto Yu's head before undressing her, placing her in a bathtub and drowning her.

Williams, who had spent most of this time smoking cannabis, then helped his friend choke Yu in the bath before they placed her body in the boot of their car and dumped it in a river.

In sentencing, Justice David Porter said "little, if anything" had been put forward to explain Papadopoulos' depraved behaviour.

"This was a brutal and terrible killing of a complete stranger," he said.

"It was done with forethought and for the sake or thrill of doing it."

The court heard that earlier on the night of the murder, Papadopoulos had told Williams he wanted to "kill and rape a bitch".

Papadopoulos will have to serve at least 25 years before he is eligible for parole
Edit Report 03-09-2010 08:59 AMMaddy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQ_and_...l_IQ_estimates

average IQ of persons by country :

Singapore 103
Austria 102
Germany 102
Italy 102
Netherlands 102
Sweden 101
Poland 99
Spain 99
Australia 98

average IQ of ex-singapore economy fugitives (eg arse168, neddy, ash007, iwc) residing in kangaroo land = 31

see confirm ossie are fucking stupid people.
Edit Report 25-08-2010 12:41 AMMaddy
How un-holy!

Their father is Australian missionary priest preaching god in Taiwan. The sisters are missionary group's singers for holly songs, and they are also thieves stealing repeatedly at Pasar Malam night market.

They got got by CCTV and red handed.

They going to get convicted and deported from Taiwan.

Fucking FTs!

http://tw.news.yahoo.com/article/url...4/1/2bpyh.html

澳籍姐妹夜市行竊 商家發現報警
中廣 更新日期:"2010/08/24 21:35"

宜蘭縣羅東夜市人潮多,兩名澳洲籍的外籍姊妹趁店家不注意行竊,被店家抓到送進警局,警方事後 調查發現她們 是傳教團體的成員,經常會到社福機構進行慈善表演,不料卻違背神意行竊,兩人則表示是一時興起 才順手牽羊。

宜蘭縣羅東夜市商店近來經常遭竊,店家調閱監視錄影帶發現是兩名外國女子所為,警方循線逮捕來 自澳洲現年2 2歲及剛成年的兩名姐妹花,據了解,她們的父親當牧師,姐妹倆常跟著前往醫院或是社福機構傳教及 表演,不料 竟然當起小偷,如經判刑確定,可能會遭遣返。

ossie losers...
Edit Report 04-10-2010 12:54 PMMaddy
arse168,

congrats on your whole family die of cancer, that includes your children.

fuck you
Edit Report 21-09-2010 05:48 AMMaddy
Australian jailed for 'thrill' killing of Chinese

SYDNEY — A man who murdered a Chinese woman in Australia was Wednesday given a life sentence for the brutal attack which the judge described as a premeditated, "thrill" killing of a complete stranger.

Stavros Papadopoulos, 22, pleaded guilty to murdering 26-year-old University of Tasmania accounting student Zhang "Tina" Yu in his Hobart apartment in June 2009, reports said.

His accomplice, 22-year-old Daniel Jo Williams, was sentenced to 10 years in jail on a charge of manslaughter.

Tasmania's Supreme Court heard that the men met Yu at a takeaway pizza shop in the early hours of the morning and had driven her to Papadopoulos's apartment, The Mercury newspaper in Hobart said.

Over the next three hours, she was subjected to such terrible violence and sexual abuse by Papadopoulos that she pleaded to be killed quickly, it said.

After being repeatedly punched, thrown against walls and dragged around by her hair, Papadopoulos suddenly smashed a large concrete brick onto Yu's head before undressing her, placing her in a bathtub and drowning her.

Williams, who had spent most of this time smoking cannabis, then helped his friend choke Yu in the bath before they placed her body in the boot of their car and dumped it in a river.

In sentencing, Justice David Porter said "little, if anything" had been put forward to explain Papadopoulos' depraved behaviour.

"This was a brutal and terrible killing of a complete stranger," he said.

"It was done with forethought and for the sake or thrill of doing it."

The court heard that earlier on the night of the murder, Papadopoulos had told Williams he wanted to "kill and rape a bitch".

Papadopoulos will have to serve at least 25 years before he is eligible for parole

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
OMG ! It is already happening !

October 8, 2010
http://www.theage.com.au/business/p...eting-cheap-housing-stock-20101007-169q7.html
MORE than 20 government-owned commercially zoned properties at Millers Point, some of which are suitable for housing, have been sold on 99-year-leases. This follows the controversial sell-off of public housing.

heartlander

Alfrescian
Loyal
if your (Singaporean) spouse is a medical doctor who studied and is registered in Australia in addition to Singapore, but you yourself don't have relevant skills in demand by Australia, is it still easy to get PR and eventually citizenship?