• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Tiong Tenant Wacked Tiong Landlord over WIFI Speed in Singapore!

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Are you sure? I had expected more from you.
Higher frequency is more susceptible to interference, more affected by obstacles and distance....
within the home or residential and urban environment, any band under 6.9ghz has sexcellent multipath and diffraction propagation characteristics that are consistent with ultra high frequencies (uhf) and lower super high frequencies (shf) as the application or radio protocol (wifi) is not covering long distances (up to 69m from a home modem). once it goes beyond 6.9ghz, propagation is mitigated and attenuated by water droplets, rain, trees, walls and other obstruction. at ehf (30ghz and beyond) it becums almost like a laser beam with poor diffractive, refractive, and penetration qualities. rather, it becums reflective when it hits a flat surface. while 2.4ghz gives you longer ranges than 5ghz, a wifi bubble at 2.4ghz is limited anyway by power and thus range as it’s treated as a license-free spectrum with myriads of other applications in a residential or even commercial setting that can cause interference: garage door openers, microwave ovens, appliances, security cams and devices, sensors, etc. there are less of these legacy devices and appliances on 5ghz.

moreover, there are less channels at the 2.4ghz band (14) compared to 5ghz (42), thus bandwidth on 5ghz is more than double that of 2.4ghz. new wifi modems these days use dual bands (2.4ghz and 5ghz) simultaneously thus a user can benefit from both: more channels to avoid interference with neighbors, 2.4ghz for large yard or property coverage including swimming pool and lawn area, 5ghz for indoor coverage. for me, i walk out the door or garage and still have 5ghz wifi coverage; i walk upto 69m away from home and i still have 2.4ghz wifi. after 69m i have to rely on 4g and 5g mobile coverage.

in sg, unless you live in one of those ridout mansions, you don’t have to worry about a seamless 2.4ghz wifi, 5ghz wifi, 900mhz lte, 1800mhz lte, 3.6ghz 5g sexperience. anytime in a small landed property, condo or hdb flat, dual band 2.4ghz 5 ghz is adequate for the best wifi coverage. wifi signal aside, the internet provider (via fiber) and streaming service have to have sufficient capacities in session binding between home router and data center (plus client to server at the app layer) to provide smooth service. otherwise, signal good but internet connection sucks, like netflix during dinner.

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

A very short guide to wireless security protocols​

WPA stands for Wi-Fi Protected Access — the protocol based on the complicated 256-bit key encryption (which is impossible to break using personal computers). WPA3 is its latest and strongest version, while WPA2 is the “golden middle;” both versions use the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES). The basic WPA (1st in the series, introduced in the distant 2003) only offers a non-reliable, elementary protection.

WPA-Personal is a common security method suitable for home networks. WPA-Enterprise is far more advanced, as it provides stronger protection for business environments.

WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) is an outdated WPA predecessor. WEP adds the basic security features of a local network (LAN) to a wireless network — which is not enough to protect a Wi-Fi signal. Thus, WEP is weaker than any version of WPA.

If we sort security protocols by strength, the list would look like this:

⛔️ WEP (Weak) WPA (Basic) WPA2 (Good) WPA3 (Strong)
- Dynamic WEP
- WEP
+++ Enterprise
++ Personal Mixed
+ Personal
+++ Enterprise
++ Personal Mixed
+ Personal
+++ Enterprise
++ Personal
+ Transition