• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Thousands of NTU Students Evicted From NTU Hostels To Make Space For Covid Isolation! Now Begging NTU For Mercy!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
1625209015823.png

SINGAPORE - Nanyang Technological University said late Thursday night (July 1) it was reviewing if it could let more students stay on campus in the coming school year after a shock announcement earlier in the day that hall occupancy would be reduced for Covid-19 isolation and other related purposes.

The earlier announcement had sent thousands of students scrambling to find alternatives before the start of the school year next month. Many are international students who are currently still in the halls as they do not have local residence.

It is understood students now would not have to move out by July 15, as earlier announced.

In a reply to queries from The Straits Times, NTU said it had to review the number of hall places because of safe management measures, and that this year's demand for hall places had been "exceptionally strong".

"However, with vaccinations now well underway and a good vaccination rate expected, as well as other safe management measures that we intend to apply, we are currently reviewing the capacity to allow more students to stay on campus," said a spokesman for the university. He said updates would be provided in the next few days.

More than 4,700 students had signed a petition appealing against the earlier announcement.

Amid the scramble by students to find alternative accommodations when they were first told to move out, the NTU Students' Union sent an e-mail at 6pm telling them to stay put as it was working with the university to find more housing.

Applications for some 14,000 vacancies across 24 halls of residence must be made every year.

Foreign residents said they had remained in their halls last year, even as other students returned home during the circuit breaker, when weekly cases were in the hundreds. Students had feared their plans would be thrown into disarray, with many worried about financial issues and disrupted schedules.

Malaysian business student Rachel Ng, 23, said she began hunting for apartments online the moment she saw the notice at 1am. If told to vacate, she may have to fork out the rent herself as her scholarship covers only accommodation on campus.

"I have to get another job and try to make it work in order to pay rent," said the third-year student.

Mr Shoon Zhen Yong, a third-year student leader of a union of some 500 Malaysian students on campus, told The Straits Times that nearly all his friends in the group had been rejected.

He said: "Last year, the cases were worse but (NTU was) able to afford them housing. Now that most of us are at least half-vaccinated, why do they suddenly want to move most of the students out?"

Vietnamese student Le Ha Phuong, 20, said rental fees could double, looking at off-campus apartments she found online. "My family's finances are not strong and I pay for all the hall fees myself," said the third-year humanities student.

One of the petition's creators, Malaysian student Jean Ku Week, 21, said a survey they had done found that 90 per cent of nearly 1,000 respondents had been rejected. Nearly half of the respondents were foreign students.

Many students who were guaranteed a place in a hall had also been turned down, including first- and second-year students and those with high extra-curricular activity points.

Second-year English Literature student Benedict Kwok, 24, said: "Most of my classes this semester are still on-campus, so I didn't imagine that they would have restricted hall stay so drastically." If he can't stay on campus, his daily commute from Bishan could take three hours.

Accountancy student Ruben Selvaraju, 22, thought he would have his room for a second year.

He said: "We were all expecting it to be as per normal, given that the Covid situation has more or less stabilised... I think we are really disappointed by the lack of transparency from our school."

https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...-hall-vacancies-sends-ntu-students-scrambling

LordElrond

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
They should just ask HDB to allocate a whole neighbourhood for Covid isolation. I think those blocks at the Siglap carpark is good.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Eh you don’t like that my FIL stay landed not Costa del Sol
Nope I knew it your father in law is loaded with multiple properties including costa del sol and that’s why you evil filthy mean nasty Malaysian indian son of slut act subservient infront of him and your wife and come to forum to bully me the vulnerable target and insult me a virgin as a slut. Pui!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Grassroots leaders are now working with the ward's MP and NTU to assist the international students get housing.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I'm glad that NTU has listened to grassroots leaders and our grassroots adviser and changed their decision.

SINGAPORE - International students who are currently residents will keep their hostel places after all, after the Nanyang Technological University (NTU) reversed an announcement made on Thursday (July 1).

The university said it had taken note of the challenges to secure alternative off-campus housing due to Covid-19.

First- and second-year students in the upcoming academic year will also receive a spot, as well as active hall residents who have full points for participation in hall activities.

"We have since carefully reviewed the hall capacity, bearing in mind that vaccinations are now well under way and there are other safe management measures that we intend to apply. Hence, we have opened up more hall places and reached out to newly successful applicants today," an NTU spokesman said on Friday.

International students The Straits Times contacted heaved a sigh of relief when they heard the news.

Vietnamese student Le Ha Phuong said: "On Thursday, I had a sleepless night not knowing where I would be sleeping in the next two weeks. I don't want anything to interrupt my studies and it was such a relief to me."

https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...-allows-international-students-to-continue-to

kaninabuchaojibye

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm glad that NTU has listened to grassroots leaders and our grassroots adviser and changed their decision.

SINGAPORE - International students who are currently residents will keep their hostel places after all, after the Nanyang Technological University (NTU) reversed an announcement made on Thursday (July 1).

The university said it had taken note of the challenges to secure alternative off-campus housing due to Covid-19.

First- and second-year students in the upcoming academic year will also receive a spot, as well as active hall residents who have full points for participation in hall activities.

"We have since carefully reviewed the hall capacity, bearing in mind that vaccinations are now well under way and there are other safe management measures that we intend to apply. Hence, we have opened up more hall places and reached out to newly successful applicants today," an NTU spokesman said on Friday.

International students The Straits Times contacted heaved a sigh of relief when they heard the news.

Vietnamese student Le Ha Phuong said: "On Thursday, I had a sleepless night not knowing where I would be sleeping in the next two weeks. I don't want anything to interrupt my studies and it was such a relief to me."

https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...-allows-international-students-to-continue-to
pap loves to help foreigners
haaaa

nirvarq

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Don't disturb leh the plan is to get the students to rent rooms and houses. These students union kaypoh cb must be con-verted to NTUC government based confederation soon then got peace like all our sinkies so submitted and yielded, sut-sut kwai-kwai balless shitzen. So peaceful ya ?

The 60% & MIWs are all properties owners and landlords not all are low IQ poor 40% kpkb broke, poor, grab & deliveries low wage workers, part-time cleaners and clueless losers, what a drag to society.

Jangan kacau daun lah sial.. alamak lol..........

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
pap loves to help foreigners
haaaa

PAP loves to help sinkies more. Most of the subsidies for education and healthcare are for sinkies, not foreigners. And foreigners pay taxes too. Yet most of the taxes they paid goes to sinkies. That shows you how much PAP loves sinkies.