• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

This is why food must be halal

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Please Don’t Switch Out Your Vegetable Oils for Lard

By Megan Meyer, PhD
POST - NOVEMBER 10, 2015

vegetable oil lard.jpg

Share this...
Share on Facebook Pin on Pinterest Tweet about this on Twitter Share on LinkedIn
If headlines on your Twitter feed are telling you to cook with lard instead of vegetable oil, please don’t listen. Here’s why.
fats-infographic-preview The 2015 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee and the World Health Organization (WHO) recommend limiting saturated fat intake to less than 10 percent of total calories per day. In fact, the 2015 recommendation isn’t much different than the original Dietary Goals for the United States published in 1977. In other words, nutrition guidance encourages you to REPLACE foods that are high in saturated fats (like butter and lard) with foods that are high in unsaturated fats (like vegetable oils). This recommendation is backed by strong evidence from randomized-control trials (the scientific gold standard!) that show replacing saturated fatty acids with unsaturated fats, especially PUFAs, significantly reduces total and LDL blood cholesterol levels. That’s a good thing for reducing your risk of heart disease.
How do you take your nutritious fats to the next level? Enjoy both PUFA (polyunsaturated fatty acid) and MUFA (monounsaturated fatty acid).
PUFAs (i.e. omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids) are found in fish such as salmon, or nuts and seeds such as walnuts (omega-3), and soy, corn and canola (omega-6). Both are needed and have broad positive health effects, such as improving heart health and cognitive function. MUFAs (i.e. omega-9 fatty acids), like those found in almonds, avocados, olive and canola oils, also improve heart health.
While all cooking oils contain saturated fat, canola oil has the least amount. It also has the most omega-3 fatty acids of the common cooking oils. Soybean oil also contains a significant amount of omega-3 fatty acids. Olive oil, on the other hand, is known for its high MUFA content. To get a healthful blend of PUFAs and MUFAs, mix up your vegetable oils, incorporate a variety of nuts into your diet, top dishes with avocados (or as a delicious snack on their own!), and try eating oily fish more often to improve the amount of omega –3 in the diet.
Dr. Julie Jones, Distinguished Scholar and Professor Emeritus on Foods and Nutrition at St. Catherine University, emphasizes that you can “absolutely” safely eat foods cooked in vegetable oils. The most important thing is not to overheat (cause them to smoke) or overuse fats and oils. Dr. Jones says:
“At home, when oil begins to smoke, smell bad or darken, THAT is when the risk of fat breaking down occurs. My recommendation is that if your fat or oil has turned dark or if it has an off odor, throw out that food for safety- it probably won’t taste good anyway! If you’re cooking fats or oils normally, you have nothing to worry about. Focus on getting healthful fats and a balanced, diverse diet.”
Dr. Henry Chin, independent expert in food chemistry and composition and food safety, agrees. He pointed out that the study uses worst-case assumptions to say that an example meal could contain acrolein at 430 ppm, which would exceed safe levels for aldehydes. But acrolein has a reported odor threshold of 1.8 ppm. Dr. Chin explained that “it is therefore extremely unlikely that any food containing this level of acrolein would be palatable.” By the time it reaches unsafe levels, it’s far past the point of burning that anyone would be eating it. Dr. Chin also emphasized that the standards for many cooking oils include a limit for the content of aldehydes.
Bottom Line
Reported health effects related to vegetable oil consumption are not supported by the best available scientific evidence. In fact, the latest version of the WCRF-AICR Diet and Cancer Report does not report any link to the consumption of fried foods and cancer. Dr. Julie Jones confirms that dangerous compounds form only with fats and oils that have been heavily overcooked. Avoiding vegetable oils and switching to lard and butter will not magically improve your health. Enjoy and explore a variety of heart-healthy sources of fats to balance the health and flavor of your diet.
This blog includes contributions from Kris Sollid, RD, Liz Caselli-Mechael, and Tony Flood.
DIETINGREDIENTSSAFETY
Primary Sidebar
Recent Posts
Footer
Subscribe to get timely email updates, including our monthly Food Insight newsletter, the FACTS Network, and other news.

FOLLOW US
EMAIL
[email protected]

© 2020 International Food Information Council Foundation. All rights reserved.
CareersContactPrivacy PolicyTerms of Use

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.OKPRIVACY POLICY

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have said many times already. There is no halal food in Singapore because all the halal food are mixed with non halal food such as pork in Food Panda, Grabfood, deliveroo baskets and handled by non Muslim.

There are many Malay food operators hire Chinese PRC as cook and food handlers. Pls don’t tell me that these Chinese PRC are Muslim !!!

nirvarq

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Good 'ol lard is the healthiest and safest actually.

If an oil is heated beyond its smoke point, it gives off toxic smoke. Because olive oil has a low smoking point, cooking with olive oil runs the risk of creating smoke that contains compounds that are harmful to human health. You may not even notice that you are breathing in this toxic smoke.

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have many Malay colleagues who love Chinese Tze Char and they told me that Chinese fried rice is sedap and it is ok for them to eat since they order fried rice with chicken chop and eggs.

I laughed in my heart till my shit nearly came out because these Malay were so ignorant as they did not know that Chinese fried rice is sedap because it has minyak Babi!!!

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The halal way animals are slaughtered actually causes the meat to be flooded with adrenaline. When a person consumes meat filled with animal adrenaline all the time, his own stress level increases .. imagine living in a flight or fight response mode most of your life?? no wonder these halal food people behave like frightened animals all the time.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Or is it bcos mudslimes prefer meat than vegetables?
Arabs consume huge amount of meat. And salad.Mediterranean diet.
Instead of spaghetti they eat it with rice , bread or couscous.
Malay eat with mostly fishes until recently.chicken is now cheaper.
Not many vegetarian muslims except at mamak shop where you eat paratha with dhall.