• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

thinking aloud...

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
over 4 decades of nation building and our nation still lacks soul... what went wrong? :confused:

neji

Alfrescian
Loyal
The people with souls and brains to not let the souls of their children, their countrymen and themselves be sucked dry have:

1)Emigrated
2)Spoke out, took actions of some form and get chased after by Lao Eh
3)Made a run for it to some other countries after doing 2)
4)Failed at doing 3) and have joined the ranks of the Zombies.

zack123

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why are we talking about nationhood when history tells us that we are a country made up of economic mercenaries whose main purpose is accumulate wealth?

NgEjay

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
over 4 decades of nation building and our nation still lacks soul... what went wrong? :confused:

Zhihau, our nation did not start off lacking soul.

That generation embraced the rising tide of nationalism that spread across Asia after World War II. Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore were all embroiled in the communist insurgency. That generation was definitely not politically apathetic.

But after the PAP took power in Singapore, the hollowed out the political consciousness of society. It was a political cleansing in a spiritual sense. And also in a real physical sense -- note the various detentions under ISA up to 1987.

Well, you can't castrate a nation politically without generating economic growth. To the PAP's credit, they did precisely that. But at a huge expense.

Can the PAP sustain that kind of economic growth potential? The answer is a flat NO. Because their methods are outmoded and outdated, not to mention lacking in morality. Our nation grows on a flimsy bed of sand, not on solid rock. To think we are strong just because we have $XXX amount in our national coffers or because our GDP growth is Y.Y% is an illusion.

E-Jay

myjohnson

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anybody envisage them doing the right thing, turning back the clock and lose all the goodies they are having?

jw5

Loyal
bro zhihau
The intention was never to let the individual citizens have soul. It was to make the country as economically viable as possible and ensure that all those who contributed to this cause were well taken care of, just like running a profitable company and ensuring that the key employees are rewarded.
Does a profit making organization care whether it has "soul"? :(

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
... Does a profit making organization care whether it has "soul"? :( ...

gosh... you damn right about this... and those old folks who had once contributed to the economical development are now being relegated to some corner, for they are no longer the key players... :eek: this company is indeed soulless! :eek:

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lack of SOUL! You right.
With so many law especially lack of Press freedom and Media control. No one dare to speak up from their mind. If no Media and Press control then the soul will slowly come back. Just let the people speak/protest and no action will taken on them as long they not doing it like in Thailand like blocking traffic,storm into building and airport.
Protest in park/staduim/roadside is acceptable.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
personally, still strongly impressed that: the soul (value) is "money"

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_VAgP2-ST1w&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_VAgP2-ST1w&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ABBA! Money Money Money!

I work all night, I work all day, to pay the bills I have to pay
Ain't it sad
And still there never seems to be a single penny left for me
That's too bad
In my dreams I have a plan
If I got me a wealthy man
I wouldn't have to work at all, I'd fool around and have a ball

Chorus:
Money, money, money
Must be funny
In the rich man's world
Money, money, money
Always sunny
In the rich man's world
Aha-ahaaa
All the things I could do
If I had a little money
It's a rich man's world

A man like that is hard to find but I can't get him off my mind
Ain't it sad
And if he happens to be free I bet he wouldn't fancy me
That's too bad
So I must leave, I'll have to go
To Las Vegas or Monaco
And win a fortune in a game, my life will never be the same

repeat Chorus.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes quite right. I would term it the 'Fajar 54' Spirit' which ironically also involved the very person who appears to be solely responsible for turning Singapore into the depoliticised society that it is today.

However to be fair to LKY and PAP, the question as to whether the PAP government "can sustain that kind of economic growth potential" appears to remain an open question for now at least. The jury still appears to be out and not a foregone conclusion that you appear to make it out to be.:wink:

Zhihau, our nation did not start off lacking soul.

E-Jay