• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

things you miss from the past?

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"cheng san piew, yum lei jong, yum lei jump"...Citizen Watch, "you can knock & soak in water" ( rough translation)!! Oh yes! from Channel 8, the Tamil Jingle advertising for "Tonic Cap Gajah"!!

The Malay version advert of TONIC CHOP GAJAH was the best.
It shows a fat Malay lady climbing a trishaw ridden by a skinny Malay man with scrawny legs.
He raised his backside and tries but weight was to much to move fast.
Along came someone who gave him a bottle of Tonic Chop Gajah.
Like Popeyes spinach the slow man started to speed at over 40 mph with the hair of the lady flying.
Arrived at destination fast and background voice clasims that TCG is good for strength and vitality.
I wonder what it was made of and whether still around.

sirus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
quiz2b_sanyo197.jpg

national_aerated_1986_nas_3.jpg

National Aerated Water Co. building is still occupying prime land next to the Kallang River along Serangoon Road.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The bottling company, Eastern is still in Geylang, though the production line at the back is now high-rise apartments always filled with PRC and other damsels that over the years overwhelmed Singaporeans.
Only the facade of the old building remain at the front complete with the inscription, EASTERN and the steamer making way in the ocean.
National Aerated Water Co. building is still occupying prime land next to the Kallang River along Serangoon Road.

The root beer you are refering to may be DADs Root Beer or SCHWEPPES.

You may be refering also to Yeo Hiap Seng Soya bean drink or Tow Nee Chwee, Magnolia milk, chocolate and strawberry that came in glass bottles with push-through aluminium foil covers.

Hope it helped you. If only there were pics of all these drinks.

National Aerated Water Company I have always wondered who owned that place? it is still around & very run down, with all the new condos sprouting up around it like Toadstools after a storm, I wonder why BCA or URA didn't get the owners to redevelop... the place looked like time had stood still.

Dad's Root Beer was the name I couldn't fish out from the depth of my mind..thanks! but I could taste the root beer...it have a kind of 'root' taste, different from A&W...is it still around?

Yeo Hiap Seng wasn't that popular back then, we can ger "tow nee chwee or tau fa swee" cheap at any corner, I used to drink my Magnolia Milk from the tetra pack triangle packet & it taste like MILK not the ones these days...maybe they had different bovines back then!, creamy, silky & delicious!!

Thanks for the offer of pictures I know what them drinks bottles or packet or bottle look like, including Schweeps!

Last edited:

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
..not forgetting coLLecting those squarish oranged coLour fruit wrappers to make our own kites..or for some, it's for
use as toiLet papers.:smile:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
..not forgetting coLLecting those squarish oranged coLour fruit wrappers to make our own kites..or for some, it's for

Not to forget it was common toilet paper if you visit people who lived in one room , one hall flats... the fruit paper wrappers would be poked & strung on a wire, hanging in the toilet. Poorer people used to collect that for their toilet needs from the fruits vendors together with the "apple at the bottom" of the barrel fruits to take home to feed a family & the wooden crates to used for fuel for cooking or boiling water at the stoves at home !!

Last edited:

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The best for kites and gifts were the waxed-paper wrappers of bread made by Fitzpatricks and Cold Storage Supermarkets.

We used to find these discarded papers from the dust-bins of the ang-mor soldiers housed in "ang-mor-shu's" all over Singapore.

At times we find huge metal "TRIANG" lorries with a wheel missing or other toys and kiddie 3-wheel bicycles with pedals at the front.

Some of the "amahs" of these "ang-mors" were nice ladies. Some were horrible and taught themselves as "ang-mors" too.

We also used the wrappers of bread from our very own kampong bakeries.

One such bakeries was the old Tai Ah Bakery next to Pereira Road (opposite the Sin Sin Sauce Factory) along Paya Lebar Road and off Kim Chuian Road.

Our kampong's greatest kite-flyer and "fighter of kites) was "Tua Bah" or "Panjang".

Please don't confuse lean and lanky "Tua Bah alias Panjang" as the later day Director of Prisons, Police Commissioner and Brunei High Commissioner.

He was just an ordinary labourer at the Tau-Yew Long (Sin Sin Sauce Factory).

He later moved to "Liam Pang" or Malaysia. Unheard already since then.

Last edited:

verlioux

Alfrescian
Loyal
Capitol theatre, with the amazing zodiac dome which looked even more tokkong when viewed from circle seats.

Pre-cineplex Lido cinema, and there was a kind of pathway at the back which led to Copper Kettle (I think that's the name) coffeehouse

President & Hoover cinemas along Balestier Road, for all the Shaw Bros shaolin movies with Ti Lung, Fu Sheng & David Chiang

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Far from it, he's squandering his youth in SIN City (Pattaya):p He says it's almost surreal ..pinching himself every morning for reality check. :p
Hehehe. Still the same pleasant 'unreal' feeling everynight but cut down on beers and ciggies cos' sorethroat still has yet to go. One of the longest sorethroat I ever had.

Talking about the past, will be heading to a mobile Pasar Malam (Night Market). Have concert and of course, Beer Chang. :p This is very nostalgic for me. Only thing different here is the majority at these concerts/pasar malam are young kids and I seems to be out of place.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Anyone remember this cabaret/theatre call Hai Yan (海燕). Should be present day Wisma Atria/Ngee Ann City. The other not so old one is Tropicana (Scotts Road).

And the nightclub at Kitchener road call Amigo?

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hehehe. ..heading to a mobile Pasar Malam (Night Market). Have concert and of course, Beer Chang. :p This is very nostalgic for me. Only thing different here is the majority at these concerts/pasar malam are young kids and I seems to be out of place.
Sanuk, but understand how you feel not so wailun:p

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
cabaret/theatre call Hai Yan (海燕...present day Wisma Atria/Ngee Ann City. The other not so old one is Tropicana (Scotts Road)...nightclub at Kitchener road call Amigo?
Not been to Hai Yan (yeah, within same block as Indon Embassy then) but hear it's taiwan singer shows? Tropicana was also popular, before Holiday Inn was built thereabouts. Walau, you also go chiong jalan buksa?:p

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Capitol theatre, with the amazing zodiac dome which looked even more tokkong when viewed from circle seats.

Pre-cineplex Lido cinema, and there was a kind of pathway at the back which led to Copper Kettle (I think that's the name) coffeehouse

President & Hoover cinemas along Balestier Road, for all the Shaw Bros shaolin movies with Ti Lung, Fu Sheng & David Chiang

Hoover brought my 1st girl friend there to watch Peter Cheng Ho last movie, "Hai san ren jia"...primp & proper. at least no sister or mummy as chaperone!! Capitol the zodiac sign to admire, when the movie takes ages to start & halfway through a long movie, INTERMISSION... bah!, you book the wrong seats downstairs, you get the pillar blocking your view, circle seats when downstairs all sold out!! & to impress that girl.. the kacang putih man at the side door, anyone remembers! bought many nuts from him, including my favorite Cashew Nuts!!

Lido Cinema, Copper Kettle, used to eat home made pizza there...there once was a stall selling hand made on the spot dough nuts in the lobby, which was extremely tasty & the stall didn't last long..

Watched all the gu long movies at Capitol , all the Wu xia movies, David Chang, Cheng Guan Tai, Wang Yu, Fu Sheng, so many to name!! I remember watching the House of 72 Tenants at President...and who can forget, Hu Chin...the sexy "yo!".

Last edited:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not been to Hai Yan (yeah, within same block as Indon Embassy then) but hear it's taiwan singer shows? Tropicana was also popular, before Holiday Inn was built thereabouts. Walau, you also go chiong jalan buksa?:p
Tropicana and Neptune....the only 2 places to legally see titties.
Over in JB the sleazy equivalent was Mechinta.