• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Thieves get away with one of PRC students' bags

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,198120,00.html?

Thieves get away with one of students' bags but give up on the other as woman clings to it
She was dragged along pavement
By Hedy Khoo

April 07, 2009

NP_NEWS_1_CURRENT_HKROB-TYA.jpg

SHOCKED FROM BEHIND: Miss Annie (above, left) showing how the thief grabbed Miss Wendy's bag from the back. TNP PICTURE: HEDY KHOO

SHE did not want to lose her handbag to the snatch thief as her passport was inside.

So she clung on to the bag for dear life and ended up being dragged along the pavement.

The thief eventually gave up and fled.

But the woman's housemate, who was with her, had a bag snatched by the thief's accomplice.

The two women, Miss Wendy and Miss Annie (not their real names), were walking home after a late dinner, at 11.35pm on 23 Mar.

The Chinese nationals, who are studying at a private school here, declined to be named for fear of reprisal.

Shout for help

NP_NEWS_1_CURRENT_HKROB.jpg

The incident happened as they were walking along a pavement beside a field next to Bartley Road, near the intersection with Serangoon Avenue 1.

They live in a rented private apartment about a two-minute walk away.

Suddenly, Miss Wendy, 30, felt someone grab her bag from behind. Realising it was a snatch thief, she refused to let go.

'My only thought was my passport in my bag,' she recalled.

In the tussle, she said she fell to the ground and was dragged along the pavement for 2m as she clung to her bag.

Meanwhile, another man had run away with Miss Annie's bag and she gave chase.

The 21-year-old said she tried to hold on to her bag but she found that the thief was 'very strong'.

She said the thief ran across the field towards Serangoon Avenue 1.

After giving chase for about 100m, she heard her friend shouting for help while being dragged along the pavement.

When the man who was dragging Miss Wendy realised his accomplice had vanished and that Miss Annie was coming back, he fled.

Miss Annie, who is 1.6m tall and weighs 58kg, gave chase again but stopped after about 200m when she lost sight of the thief.

She said she lost about $450 in cash and an electronic dictionary she had recently bought for $600, as well as two ATM cards and her wallet.

'The money had just been remitted to me by my parents to pay for my rent and living expenses,' she lamented.

'I haven't told them what happened as I don't want to worry them.'

Miss Wendy was unable to run after the thieves as she lost her glasses during the struggle.

She did not lose any valuables but had bruises on her right arm from clinging on to the straps of her handbag.

She also scraped her left elbow and had minor abrasions on her back from being dragged along the ground.

'My friends said I should not have struggled for my bag as the robbers could have been armed,' she said.

The two women are still traumatised by the incident as it took place so close to their home.

Miss Wendy said: 'We thought this private estate was very safe. Now we try to come home before dark but it's difficult as I have evening classes at times.'

And she takes the bus instead of taking the 15-minute walk from her school.

One of thieves was plump, about 1.7m and wore a white T-shirt, white bermudas and a white cap, while the accomplice was thin, slightly taller and dressed in a black top and grey bermudas.

The police confirmed that the women had reported the incident.

Anyone with information can call the police hotline at 1800-2550000.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
haha..more like they are worried of their moonlighting activities being exposed. Students live in rented private apartments? Wah so rich? Money from where>?

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
SHE did not want to lose her handbag to the snatch thief as her passport was inside.

So she clung on to the bag for dear life and ended up being dragged along the pavement.

knn drama queen.... everyone knows PRC passports are not worth much in the black market lah

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think she was paiseh.... don't want the thief to find her mustache and armpit hair trimmers in the bag