• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

These photos of '80s Singapore will make your jaw drop

JohnnyCage

Alfrescian
Loyal

These photos of '80s Singapore will make your jaw drop

By Coconuts Singapore October 21, 2013 / 16:40 SGT

bugisstreet6.png

In 1980, Parisian photographer Alain Soldeville visited Singapore and discovered a legion of androgynous beauties at Bugis Street, of whom he has amassed an amazing gallery of photos. The photos can be viewed on his website, but they will also be on show in an exhibition called Once Upon a Time on Bugis Street, happening at Objectifs from Jan. 29 — Feb. 18 and Bangkok's Kathmandu Photo Gallery (Nov. 17 — Dec. 27).

Here are some of our favourite shots, as well as Soldeville's captivating description of the experience:

"In December 1980, I left Paris for a two-year trip to Asia and Australia. I had limited experience in photography. After spending a month in Bangkok, I arrived in Singapore where I checked in at a hotel located on the fourth floor of an impersonal tower. A few days later, around midnight, I headed for Bugis Street in a neighborhood of old Chinese houses from the colonial era. Within an hour, strange androgynous creatures arrived by taxi. Dressed in sexy, tight-fitting dresses or satiny pants, wearing heavy stage makeup and high heels, they took over the territory. The street seemed to belong to them and their dramatic entrance was followed by scrutinizing eyes. It appeared that most visitors were there to watch the show that had just begun. I stroked up a conversation with Anita who was of Malaysian background. She was 23 years old, with a clearly outlined masculine face, tall, thin and muscular. She wanted to know where I came from, how long I was going to stay in Singapore. During the following weeks, I became close to Anita and she introduced me to her friends: Amina, Danita, Delphine, Rosa and Susanna. They liked having me photograph them and would strike natural poses. After five or six weeks in Singapore, short of money, I had to leave for Australia. I would return in 1984 only to learn that Bugis Street was about to be torn down to make way for the subway. For more than twenty five years, I completely forgot those photos. It's only recently that I came across them."

bugisstreet.jpg

bugisstreet1.jpg

bugisstreet2_0.png

bugisstreet3.jpg

bugisstreet5.png

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Very true. pitiful. Did u take advantage of them?

Take advantage!!!:eek::eek::eek:
Used to stay at Buffalo Road area when we were kids (near The old KK hospital) and we always saw them swinging around after night. Always karchiao (disturb) them shouting Ah Gua/Bapok and they would scold us, cursing and swearing.

They were very active at Petain area ( Petain Road (Kin Jio Kar) Petain Road, aka Kin Jio Kar (hokkien for Banana Leg) is one of the lesser known legalised red light) at that time.

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Take advantage!!!:eek::eek::eek:
Used to stay at Buffalo Road area when we were kids (near The old KK hospital) and we always saw them swinging around after night. Always karchiao (disturb) them shouting Ah Gua/Bapok and they would scold us, cursing and swearing.

They were very active at Petain area ( Petain Road (Kin Jio Kar) Petain Road, aka Kin Jio Kar (hokkien for Banana Leg) is one of the lesser known legalised red light) at that time.

wow...sound r experienced