• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Workers' Party

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Daniel PS Goh

"I'm quite encouraged by the finding that voters do value checks and balances and accountability. I think it's very heartening. And it has been interpreted to mean that Singaporeans do find that at the system level the institutions have to function with some sort of balance regardless of whether the policies are good or bad in that sense." - Sylvia Lim

ST roundtable: panellists' opening remarks
[url]www.singapolitics.sg

The Straits Times hosted a roundtable on April 23rd to...

[/URL]

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[URL="https://www.facebook.com/wpyouth"]The Workers' Party Youth Wing (WPYW)

[/URL]The results for the Monthly Quiz (April) is out!

Congratulations to:

Imran Ashua SXXXX208G

Chun Beng SXXXX840F

Nadia Ahmad SXXXX459H

We will be sending you your prizes in the mail shortly.

If you’re following our quiz, here are the answers to last month’s question:

Answers to Monthly Quiz (April 2014)

Q1. Due to rising natural gas prices, the new rate for households ____________ will be ________ per kilowatt hour (kwh), up from _________.

Ans: for the next 3 month , $ 0.2573 , $0.2565

Q2. For the Power of Youth Challenge which took place on 30 march 2014, what was the activity organised by the WP Grassroots Committee?

Ans: Basketball

Q3. How many reservoirs can be found in Singapore?

Ans: 17

The May edition of the Monthly Quiz is also now up so what are you waiting for? Answer 3 very simple questions and you stand to win $10 worth of Kinokuniya book vouchers! Click on the link below to participate.

The WP Youth Wing | Monthly Quiz
wpyouth.sg

The Workers’ Party Youth Wing Monthly Quiz aims to...

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Daniel PS Goh

Brought a huge smile to my face ... not because it shows the police is non-partisan and WP can work with government agencies and vice versa (why is this in doubt?) ... but because the smiles are so profoundly genuine! Oh and that homecoming smile-bordering-on-laughter on Sylvia, priceless! :smile:

At Serangoon Neighbourhood Police Centre this morning

10172613_236553156553238_3145835384198867332_n.jpg

Last edited:

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yee Jenn Jong, JJ (余振忠)

It’s the 3rd anniversary of GE2011 today and supposedly mid of current term. I randomly googled and found this video which summed up my rollercoaster emotions after 2 months of hard campaigning as a then-newbie. So many people came along the way to help an inexperienced politician. We started with just 2-3 persons walking daily in the first week after I was selected to lead the thrust into Joo Chiat, and it grew into a fairly large team by the end of the campaign. So many residents encouraging us along the way, getting our share of brick-brats, old friends that I found again and many new friends made, and the 5 kg I lost through the daily door-to-door house visits (Alas, the 5 kg was gained back too quickly afterwards and in the wrong places too :>).

Polling day was a mix bag of emotions: Casting my vote at St Pats first thing in morning, then moving from station to station to encourage my polling agents, bumping into residents after their voting who cheered me on, and the tense 2 hours of counting. Up one moment, down the next, and not knowing the results for certain until the last numbers were in. I was asked if I wanted a recount, because it fell just at the allowed 2% limit. I knew it was quite fruitless as I had witnessed the counting and it was impossible to have a 2% error, but we called the recount anyway just to be absolutely certain.

Then began the long drive from Victoria JC counting station to Hougang where we were to assemble for the final results with WP supporters. The two months of events and words in the daily gruelling campaign kept playing through my mind in the 30-min drive: What I could have done better that would have changed the result and the hopes of people which I could not fulfil. One that kept flashing through my mind was that of the retired teacher who phoned me a few days before polling to say “I have been voting for many years with my head. I now believe I must be true to my heart. I am a retiree. I wish to give you something but I have nothing to give. I can only give you my vote.” She was voting for the opposition for the first time. Hers and the hopes of many I met along the way weighed heavily on me as I delivered the short speech in that video, choked with sadness that I had to disappoint them.

I was glad though that the day ended with the major breakthrough of a GRC going to the opposition for the first time, that supposedly impenetrable fortress designed to keep the opposition from playing any big role in local politics. It led the way to two more consecutive by-election victories for the WP subsequently.

Enough of recollections on this GE2011 anniversary morning and back to the long work to build for the future.

Joo Chiat WP candidate Yee Jenn Jong 110507

What our media stopped showing after 1:30 can...

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"One that kept flashing through my mind was that of the retired teacher who phoned me a few days before polling to say “I have been voting for many years with my head. I now believe I must be true to my heart. I am a retiree. I wish to give you something but I have nothing to give. I can only give you my vote.” She was voting for the opposition for the first time."

I hope that many more Singaporeans will read this part, and seriously give their votes to deserving non-PAP candidates at the forthcoming General Elections.

Yee Jenn Jong, JJ (余振忠)

It’s the 3rd anniversary of GE2011 today and supposedly mid of current term. I randomly googled and found this video which summed up my rollercoaster emotions after 2 months of hard campaigning as a then-newbie. So many people came along the way to help an inexperienced politician. We started with just 2-3 persons walking daily in the first week after I was selected to lead the thrust into Joo Chiat, and it grew into a fairly large team by the end of the campaign. So many residents encouraging us along the way, getting our share of brick-brats, old friends that I found again and many new friends made, and the 5 kg I lost through the daily door-to-door house visits (Alas, the 5 kg was gained back too quickly afterwards and in the wrong places too :>).

Polling day was a mix bag of emotions: Casting my vote at St Pats first thing in morning, then moving from station to station to encourage my polling agents, bumping into residents after their voting who cheered me on, and the tense 2 hours of counting. Up one moment, down the next, and not knowing the results for certain until the last numbers were in. I was asked if I wanted a recount, because it fell just at the allowed 2% limit. I knew it was quite fruitless as I had witnessed the counting and it was impossible to have a 2% error, but we called the recount anyway just to be absolutely certain.

Then began the long drive from Victoria JC counting station to Hougang where we were to assemble for the final results with WP supporters. The two months of events and words in the daily gruelling campaign kept playing through my mind in the 30-min drive: What I could have done better that would have changed the result and the hopes of people which I could not fulfil. One that kept flashing through my mind was that of the retired teacher who phoned me a few days before polling to say “I have been voting for many years with my head. I now believe I must be true to my heart. I am a retiree. I wish to give you something but I have nothing to give. I can only give you my vote.” She was voting for the opposition for the first time. Hers and the hopes of many I met along the way weighed heavily on me as I delivered the short speech in that video, choked with sadness that I had to disappoint them.

I was glad though that the day ended with the major breakthrough of a GRC going to the opposition for the first time, that supposedly impenetrable fortress designed to keep the opposition from playing any big role in local politics. It led the way to two more consecutive by-election victories for the WP subsequently.

Enough of recollections on this GE2011 anniversary morning and back to the long work to build for the future.

Joo Chiat WP candidate Yee Jenn Jong 110507

What our media stopped showing after 1:30 can...

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
"One that kept flashing through my mind was that of the retired teacher who phoned me a few days before polling to say “I have been voting for many years with my head. I now believe I must be true to my heart. I am a retiree. I wish to give you something but I have nothing to give. I can only give you my vote.” She was voting for the opposition for the first time."

I hope that many more Singaporeans will read this part, and seriously give their votes to deserving non-PAP candidates at the forthcoming General Elections.

I agree with you.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=5]The Workers' Party[/h]
SPREADING THE BENEFITS OF HIP

We refer to the Kaki Bukit Citizens Consultative Committee’s letter dated 28 Apr 2014 which has been put up on People’s Association noticeboards in the Kaki Bukit ward of Aljunied GRC. The letter states that the Aljunied-Hougang-Punggol East Town Council (AHPETC) did not nominate any blocks in the Kaki Bukit ward of Aljunied GRC for the HDB Home Improvement Programme (HIP) for 2014.

In nominating clusters of blocks for the HIP, AHPETC considers the age of the blocks as well as the need to ensure that, over time and in the interest of fairness to all residents, all wards across the Town Council are nominated for such upgrading projects. As a mature town with in excess of 700 blocks of flats, AHPETC hosts many old blocks of flats in addition to those in Kaki Bukit. The exception is Punggol East SMC, which has newer blocks that do not qualify for HIP.

For the years 2012 and 2013, AHPETC nominated various clusters in the Eunos, Hougang, Paya Lebar and Kaki Bukit wards for the HIP program. The Kaki Bukit cluster (Blocks 533 to 536) was eventually selected by HDB for 2013. For 2014, the Town Council nominated clusters in the Bedok Reservoir-Punggol, Serangoon and Paya Lebar wards for the HIP. HDB selected the clusters in Bedok Reservoir-Punggol and Serangoon wards for FY 2014.

HIP is a national programme that commenced around 2008. When the current TC management took over in 2011, many HIP-eligible blocks including those in Kaki Bukit had not yet been nominated nor chosen for HIP. The HDB has since announced that it would ramp up the HIP project, increasing the number of eligible units per year from 28,000 units to 35,000 units. Next year, we will nominate more clusters for HIP and look forward to HDB’s fair consideration of the nominations.

ALJUNIED-HOUGANG-PUNGGOL EAST TOWN COUNCIL
9 May 2014

Spreading the Benefits of HIP | AHPETC
[url]www.ahpetc.sg

We refer to the Kaki Bukit Citizens Consultative Committee’s letter...

[/URL]

da dick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gerald Giam

How will the Govt bridge the gap between the 110,000 workers earning less than $1,000 per month and the 80,000 workers expected to benefit from the Progressive Wage Model, which will be applied to only the cleaning, security and landscaping industries?

Progressive Wage Model and Low Wage Workers | geraldgiam.sg
geraldgiam.sg

how about bringing back the middle classes instead of wayanging so mcuh? we don't need more flips in middle management, or russians, or more doctors/talents of death?

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Chen Show Mao

"Happy Mother's Day, Dear."
During our visit to the Rivervale market this morning, it was good to see the young fathers with their babies and toddlers, in an assortment of slings, carriers, strollers and trailers.