• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Workers' Party

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
WP deserved a plastic hammer; ie. the one played by babies with sound.
They are too comfortable and contended; too timid, sad to say that.
Its just a puppet opposition.... No aspiration/desire to be the next Govt.
Only want to co-drive the luxury car with the PAP. Dare not ROCK the sampan.

prove me wrong, will you.... WP?

These plastic hammers were seen at WP rallies and gatherings, showing that WP itself and their supporters aren't adverse to them and even bought or provided them.

It's not all the time that WP needs to brandish an iron and wood hammer with the intention to injure. Which is what will really make them no different from PAP. At other suitable times, musical plastic hammers lighten mood.

PoliticalDialogue

Alfrescian
Loyal
WP deserved a plastic hammer; ie. the one played by babies with sound.
They are too comfortable and contended; too timid, sad to say that.
Its just a puppet opposition.... No aspiration/desire to be the next Govt.
Only want to co-drive the luxury car with the PAP. Dare not ROCK the sampan.

prove me wrong, will you.... WP?

WP would not be interested in proving you wrong. WP gets elected based on a widely perceived moderate style of politics which, not coincidentally, seamlessly fits in with the broad nature of the Singapore electorate. A moderate style in politics is what the vast number of WP supporters want. Those who want a far more robust engagement with the PAP are not true-blue WP supporters. They are mostly supporters of SDP whose far more robust approach is out-of-kilter with the broad nature of the Singapore electorate and, as such, will ensure that SDP cannot get elected.

I believe that from now on it would be more useful for people to stop talking about "opposition" as though it is monolithic. It is best to be precise and refer to WP, SDP, NSP etc. The only thing these parties have in common with each other is opposition to the PAP, but then they are, in varying degrees, also in opposition to each other, a fact that for expediency is rarely, if ever, openly talked about.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The other parties are simply vote splitters, funded by the PAP. The only viable party in the opposing camp is the Worker's Party. That it has existed over decades serve to remind us that it is no fly-by-night party seeking one-night stand clutch for power; it has been an alternative voice all these decades and when given the chance to exercise power, it will show sinkees how the country can be run better with people focus.

melzp

Alfrescian
Loyal
WP would not be interested in proving you wrong. WP gets elected based on a widely perceived moderate style of politics which, not coincidentally, seamlessly fits in with the broad nature of the Singapore electorate. A moderate style in politics is what the vast number of WP supporters want. Those who want a far more robust engagement with the PAP are not true-blue WP supporters. They are mostly supporters of SDP whose far more robust approach is out-of-kilter with the broad nature of the Singapore electorate and, as such, will ensure that SDP cannot get elected.

I believe that from now on it would be more useful for people to stop talking about "opposition" as though it is monolithic. It is best to be precise and refer to WP, SDP, NSP etc. The only thing these parties have in common with each other is opposition to the PAP, but then they are, in varying degrees, also in opposition to each other, a fact that for expediency is rarely, if ever, openly talked about.

what I really meant was that WP needs to be more engaging in relevant issues of our daily lives.eg, transport,cost of living,etc. Over the years, i observed that they played very careful politics. But not relentlessly hard in pursuing our lives' interest.

PoliticalDialogue

Alfrescian
Loyal
what I really meant was that WP needs to be more engaging in relevant issues of our daily lives.eg, transport,cost of living,etc. Over the years, i observed that they played very careful politics. But not relentlessly hard in pursuing our lives' interest.

They have raised all of these in lengthy speeches in Parliament. It is not surprising that they have escaped most people's notice. WP are clearly not a flashy opposition that plays to the gallery because they are fully aware that to do so at this stage of the election cycle risks drawing tremendous PAP fire. S'poreans have very short memories: JBJ, who used to make many fiery speeches, lost his seat in Parliament not once but twice, first in 1986 and then later in 2001 as an NCMP. It is also instructive that just even a careful raising of the AIM issue by WP saw a massive PAP reprisal with a lengthy dossier over the cleaning of hawker centres. Now there is an uneasy peace. PAP's response to anything would be purely dependent on the conduct of the other side. Also, people who are dissatisfied with WP's performance tend to generally live outside of the WP-held wards. Such people are however spoilt for choice: they can throw their support behind NSP, SDP, SPP, RP and see whether they can make any headway at the next GE. However, I have my doubts, because it goes back to my earlier post -- the broad nature of the Singapore electorate, which is moderate and conservative. This is the reason why anything and everything that these other smaller parties say is simply ignored by the PAP. They pose no threat to the PAP, even if one or two of these smaller parties choose to style themselves as a "genuine" opposition. They are a "genuine" opposition that cannot win anything.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
They have raised all of these in lengthy speeches in Parliament. It is not surprising that they have escaped most people's notice. WP are clearly not a flashy opposition that plays to the gallery because they are fully aware that to do so at this stage of the election cycle risks drawing tremendous PAP fire. S'poreans have very short memories: JBJ, who used to make many fiery speeches, lost his seat in Parliament not once but twice, first in 1986 and then later in 2001 as an NCMP. It is also instructive that just even a careful raising of the AIM issue by WP saw a massive PAP reprisal with a lengthy dossier over the cleaning of hawker centres. Now there is an uneasy peace. PAP's response to anything would be purely dependent on the conduct of the other side. Also, people who are dissatisfied with WP's performance tend to generally live outside of the WP-held wards. Such people are however spoilt for choice: they can throw their support behind NSP, SDP, SPP, RP and see whether they can make any headway at the next GE. However, I have my doubts, because it goes back to my earlier post -- the broad nature of the Singapore electorate, which is moderate and conservative. This is the reason why anything and everything that these other smaller parties say is simply ignored by the PAP. They pose no threat to the PAP, even if one or two of these smaller parties choose to style themselves as a "genuine" opposition. They are a "genuine" opposition that cannot win anything.

they should understand that there's nothing to fear now as there was then

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

WP has been accused of not touching on issues related to human rights, justice and ISA, so I don't think it's so much about daily life issues that they have not engaged on.

There's nothing wrong with being careful. All parties are careful. The careful label was stuck on by WP critics from different camps, but I don't view it as a negative trait, unless you think the way forward is to be careless.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is also instructive that just even a careful raising of the AIM issue by WP saw a massive PAP reprisal with a lengthy dossier over the cleaning of hawker centres.

I think it's not so much about the PAP reprisal that is in question; the opinions and reactions of the fencesitting voters to the PAP's reprisal as they see it in the MSM - that I think is WP's poser.

melzp

Alfrescian
Loyal
well, i'd said WP is not versatile enough. Its juz an oppo for democratic reason for the PAP pleasure.. Tell me, who in WP aspire to be
the next PM or want to be.?? LTK,CSM or Sylvia? Like i said; they are too comfortable. They know that they pose no serious threat/challenge.
So, they are not motivated.....they ought to change their name to Weary Party......not much for the Workers anymore, really.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
well, i'd said WP is not versatile enough. Its juz an oppo for democratic reason for the PAP pleasure.. Tell me, who in WP aspire to be
the next PM or want to be.?? LTK,CSM or Sylvia? Like i said; they are too comfortable. They know that they pose no serious threat/challenge.

Unless someone can read minds, no one can tell who really has ambition.

For the record, no other opposition leader, notably Dr Chee, has ever said he wants to be prime minister. I pick Dr Chee because he is often the icon of the non-WP pro-opposition sympathizers, but even he has not said that.

Last edited:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

if WP are as useless as you observed, then the ppl of hougang, which included me, must be idiots to voted in WP candidates in 5 GEs and 1 BE since 1991.

only u ever lived in a WP-admin estate, u will know WP work very hard for the constiuents with no funding from national coffers. As for what happen inside parliement, most of us only know what happen via PAP control media. WP no longer shoot from hip, every thing must research swee swee then can shoot pap inside parliment. anyhow shoot can kenna bomb back by pap. other parties can kpkb outside anything they like but WP cannot do the same inside parilment,

melzp

Alfrescian
Loyal
To be very careful n relevant,......... YES.. But not demanding enough. I see them more as TC administratives than
being more ambitious politicians now. Like you, WP was my hero....But now I see them taking more of PAP's medical
supplements....to thelatter's liking

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Like you, WP was my hero....

I wouldn't use the word "hero" to describe my support for WP. I am mostly agreeable with them, but am prepared to criticize them as I had done a few times before.

But now I see them taking more of PAP's medical supplements....to thelatter's liking

Liking? PAP clearly doesn't like WP's approach. Why do you think Hri and Indranee came firing at the same aspects some proclaimed "SDP supporters" fire at? WP's moderate approach had allowed them to eat into PAP's middle ground of fencesitters.

Wasn't it PAP who first labelled opposition as "dangerous" and "confrontational"? Now they are complaining that WP takes the "safe" approach.

Who gave PAP the license to use both "safe" and "dangerous" on the opposition, which are contradicting terms? Who in the right mind will appoint a ruling party to become the opposition's consultant since they can't give objective "advice"?

Last edited:

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yee Jenn Jong, JJ (余振忠)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all...

A video of the carolling done by WP Team Joo Chiat yesterday at Telok Kurau, taken by one of the host families. We wanted to do street carolling from park to park but the downpour started just as we gathered. We did visit all the families which had earlier welcomed us to stop at their homes for carolling, and it was great fun despite the bad weather. Let's hope the weather will be better next weekend.

Mr Yee Jenn Jong & his team came to our place & sang us some Xmas songs even though it was raining. Really appreciate their time , effort & thoughts !

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yee Jenn Jong, JJ (余振忠)

[h=1]Merry Christmas 21 Dec 2013[/h]Updated <abbr title="Saturday, December 21, 2013 at 11:28pm" data-utime="1387639732" class="timestamp">6 minutes ago</abbr>

Carolled from Greenfields Drive park through Frankel Road to Siglap. The drizzle came briefly around 5 pm but we continued on and the rain stopped shortly later. Was able to meet and share the joy of the season with many more families in the neighbourhood than the previous week when there was a huge downpour. Thank you once again to the families that invited us in to sing and for feeding us with food and drinks.

Continued in the night with a magic performance at Kaki Bukit's Christmas celebrations. A tiring but fulfilling day!

1526923_605900249477753_350455366_n.jpg

1526923_605900252811086_1658568154_n.jpg

1526923_605900259477752_47798700_n.jpg

1526923_605900256144419_422779392_n.jpg

1526923_605900262811085_892151181_n.jpg

melzp

Alfrescian
Loyal
By Amelia Tan

Mr Ramz came to Singapore in March as a tourist but his itinerary did not include visiting the Merlion, Universal Studios or Orchard Road.

Instead, the 29-year-old Filipino had only one goal: to find a job.

He would spend hours scouring employment websites every day, and often had only one meal a day to save money.

Finally, after about four months, he landed a job as a financial analyst at an offshore bank, drawing a monthly salary of $2,800.

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking...-jobs-20131223

Last edited by Force 136; Today at 12:43 AM.

see, no doubt this is old old news...N what hv WP done? Yes, they did bring it up.

They did bang the table; BUT they feared breaking down the tables or overturn it. What a TIMID
Party; when opportunity comes to them to speak for the citizens.
Tks to the 60%; the rest is HISTORY.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To be very careful n relevant,......... YES.. But not demanding enough. I see them more as TC administratives than
being more ambitious politicians now. Like you, WP was my hero....But now I see them taking more of PAP's medical
supplements....to thelatter's liking

I dont think myself as a hardcore wp supporter. I will vote for any party who i believe who can give me and family the best future.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
see, no doubt this is old old news...N what hv WP done? Yes, they did bring it up.

They did bang the table; BUT they feared breaking down the tables or overturn it. What a TIMID
Party; when opportunity comes to them to speak for the citizens.
Tks to the 60%; the rest is HISTORY.

You are like saying there is litter at the void deck so the fault is with the 10th floor owner because they are staying in the 10th floor.

This is obviously a fault-finding exercise, but good try anyway.

Last edited:

melzp

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are like saying there is litter at the void deck so the fault is with the 10th floor owner because they are staying in the 10th floor.

This is obviously a fault-finding exercise, but good try anyway.

Sorry; i dont stoop at this level.(I dont mean at yr void deck). I expect any voted Party to be very tenacious in its tentacles like the octopus.
eg. Like Tony Abbot; who is persistently LIKE A PAIN IN THE NECK in politics to be voted in.
So, in this scenario, the damage done by MOM, ICA is irreparable.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]Joo Chiat Today[/h]
[h=1]Merry Christmas and Happy 2014 from WP Team Joo Chiat[/h]

We had a great time in the greater Joo Chiat area (Joo Chiat SMC and traditional parts of Joo Chiat) in 2013; the weekly house visits, WP Hammer magazine sales, attending parties, casual chats with residents and the carolling. Thanks for all the hospitality and feedback.

See you again in 2014! Have a great year ahead!

Here’s our song for you.