• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Workers' Party

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: WP Doing Nothing?

[URL="http://www.facebook.com/yeejj.wp"]Yee Jenn Jong, JJ (余振忠)

[/URL]Today is Total Defence Day. It is held yearly on 15 Feb, the anniversary of British surrender to the Japanese in 1942.

Total Defence concept encompasses five key aspects – military, civil, economic, social and psychological defence. It focuses on the need for each Singaporean to play his or her part to defend the nation.

Whatever differences we have, let's all remember we are Singaporeans, each to defend our freedom in whatever way we can.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

"I empathise with the concerns of many businesses, especially SMEs, which will be impacted by further curbs in foreign labour. Companies which are dependent on low wage foreign labour will face the greatest difficulties and will have to restructure. Economic restructuring is painful but it is critically important for our nation’s future. The Government should commit to supporting companies and workers through the restructuring process, as well as retraining workers to provide them with the right skills to make a transition to another industry."

Restructuring the Economy to create a “Dynamic Population for a Sustainable Singapore” | geraldgiam.
geraldgiam.sg

I empathise with the concerns of many businesses, especially SMEs, which will be impacted by further

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Two town councils being formed after Punggol East by-election

SINGAPORE: Two town councils are being formed following last month's by-election in Punggol East.

The Ministry of National Development (MND) says at the request of the elected Members of Parliament, the Punggol East constituency has been grouped with the constituencies of Aljunied and Hougang to form the Town of Aljunied-Hougang-Punggol East.

The town of Pasir Ris-Punggol will be reconstituted to comprise only the Pasir Ris-Punggol constituency.

The reconstituted Aljunied-Hougang-Punggol East Town Council will assume responsibility for the constituency of Punggol East from 1 May 2013.

The Pasir Ris-Punggol Town Council will continue to be liable for the maintenance and management of the common properties within the constituency of Punggol East up to 30 April.

MND has encouraged both town councils to work together to ensure a smooth transition, so that the needs of all residents can continue to be served.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=5]Daniel PS Goh[/h]
Please let me know what you think, any feedback is greatly appreciated.

http://wp.sg/wp-population-policy-paper/

http://www.scribd.com/doc/126850975/WP-Population-Policy-Paper-Feb-2013

WP Population Policy Paper Feb 2013
[url]www.scribd.com

The Population White Paper released by the Government recently is by far the most widely debated White Paper in Singapore politics -- not only in Parliament, but also by the people of Singapore. This is understandably so as it has wide ranging implications

[/URL]

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=5]The Workers' Party[/h]
The Population White Paper released by the Government recently is by far the most widely debated White Paper in Singapore politics -- not only in Parliament, but also by the people of Singapore. This is understandably so as it has wide ranging implications for our nations’s future.

For five days, Parliament debated a Motion to endorse the White Paper. It was then passed following an amendment by an MP from the Government backbench.

After careful consideration of the proposal, the Workers’ Party (WP) opposed the White Paper and presented our alternative proposals in Parliament during the debate on the Motion.

The population issue is a major challenge confronting our nation and it affects each and every one of us and our future generations. It is not only a ‘numbers’ issue but also one that lies at the heart of our nation and our children. The debate continues in public even after the debate in Parliament has ended.

We would probably not be experiencing the current degree of angst over overcrowding if the Government had presented the White Paper to the people much earlier, instead of allowing population growth to surpass their planning target and failing to ensure that infrastructural development kept in tandem with population growth.

In view of the importance and complexity of the subject, as well as the fundamental differences between WP and the Government on the approach to tackle the population challenges ahead, we have decided to publish our Population Policy Paper. We hope this will enable Singaporeans to better understand the rationale and computations behind WP’s proposals. WP believes it is important to encourage further debate so that Singaporeans can make informed judgments on the population issue.

I would like to thank all the WP members and volunteers who have worked tirelessly to make the publication of this WP Population Policy Paper possible. I would also like to thank all Singaporeans who have given us their support; your encouragement and engagement continues to spur WP on to serve the nation.

LOW THIA KHIANG
Secretary-General

The Workers’ Party’s Population Policy Paper: “A Dynamic Population for a Sustainable Singapore” : T
wp.sg

The Population White Paper released by the Government recently is by far the most widely debated White Paper in Singapore politics — not only in Parliament, but also by the people of Singapore. This is understandably so as it has wide ranging implications for our nations’s future.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=5]Yee Jenn Jong, JJ (余振忠)[/h]
After careful consideration of the proposal, the Workers’ Party (WP) opposed the White Paper and presented our alternative proposals in Parliament during the debate on the Motion.

The population issue is a major challenge confronting our nation and it affects each and every one of us and our future generations. It is not only a ‘numbers’ issue but also one that lies at the heart of our nation and our children. The debate continues in public even after the debate in Parliament has ended.

In view of the importance and complexity of the subject, as well as the fundamental differences between WP and the Government on the approach to tackle the population challenges ahead, we have decided to publish our Population Policy Paper. We hope this will enable Singaporeans to better understand the rationale and computations behind WP’s proposals. WP believes it is important to encourage further debate so that Singaporeans can make informed judgments on the population issue.

The Workers’ Party’s Population Policy Paper: “A Dynamic Population for a Sustainable Singapore” : T
wp.sg

The Population White Paper released by the Government recently is by far the most widely debated White Paper in Singapore politics — not only in Parliament, but also by the people of Singapore. This is

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=5]The Workers' Party Youth Wing (WPYW)[/h]Singapore is a multi-racial and diverse society, comprising Chinese, Malays, Indians & Eurasians living side by side in harmony. However, this did not come easy. In the early days of nation development, we had a series of racially motivated riots in 1964. Since then, racial issues have always been handled with care. Over the past 46 years, we Singaporeans have built our national identity and now see ourselves as one nation and one people. Does race matter to Singaporeans anymore?
The Workers’ Party Youth Wing takes great pleasure in inviting Singaporean youth to participate in a dialogue session as part of the YouthQuake forum series. This forum is another initiative of the YouthQuake series of forums and offers an excellent opportunity for Singapore youth to exchange constructive ideas and participate in a rational discourse and experience the dynamic nature of youth-centric issues.

The details of YouthQuake 11 are as follows:
Date: 3 March 2013 (Sunday)
Time: 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.

Venue: WP HQ (216G, Syed Alwi Road, #02-03)
Moderator: Tan Kong Soon, Vice President, WPYW

If you are keen on attending this forum, kindly register your interest by RSVP here.
For more details, view the full poster here.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

40190_149674681715790_2741543_t.jpg
Parliamentary Questions by WP MPs - 25 February 2013 Sitting

by The Workers' Party on Monday, February 25, 2013 at 11:33am ·

These are the questions that WP MPs have filed for the upcoming Parliament sitting on 25 February 2013.

WP raises questions on employment schemes, rental flat eligibility, dengue cases and the Criminal Procedure Code with regards to a recent investigation on an independent film-maker.

Questions for Oral Answer

*5. Mr Chen Show Mao: To ask the Acting Minister for Manpower since the introduction of the ADVANTAGE! Scheme how much has been disbursed annually; what is the average payout per company; and what is the amount that went towards job, work process and workplace re-design; and whether the Ministry will consider extending this scheme beyond March 2013 and, if so, what will the Ministry do to improve the uptake beyond the companies that have tapped on this scheme since its introduction.

*6. Mr Chen Show Mao: To ask the Acting Minister for Manpower since the introduction of the Flexi Works! and Work-Life-Works! (WoW!) schemes how much has been disbursed annually under each scheme; and what is the average payout per company; and whether the Ministry will consider extending and enhancing these schemes and, if so, what will the Ministry do to improve the number of companies that offer at least one form of work-life arrangement.

*12. Ms Lee Li Lian: To ask the Minister for National Development what are the reasons for disqualifying a Singapore citizen whose spouse holds a long-term visit pass from applying for a rental flat under HDB's Public Rental Scheme and whether HDB offers alterative housing options for such families.

*13. Mr Yee Jenn Jong: To ask the Minister for the Environment and Water Resources what steps have been taken to counter the threat from the recent spike in dengue cases, especially in the biggest hotspot area in East Coast Road/ Telok Kurau; and of all sites found to be breeding mosquitoes in the past one year, how many were in residential houses construction sites public outdoor spaces and other areas.

*15. Mr Yee Jenn Jong: To ask the Minister for Law with regard to the investigations into claims by former SMRT bus drivers of police brutality whether the attempted retention or confiscation of a laptop, desktop computer and mobile phone belonging to a film maker at her residence by Singapore Police Force officers is in conformity with proper procedures and requirements of the Criminal Procedure Code; and what is the legal basis for the attempted retention or confiscation.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=5]Daniel PS Goh[/h]Am overseas, in one of my favourite cities, Kyoto, for a conference. Following the news on the budget, have not scrutinised it yet. Looks like a good and inspired budget.

Tightening foreign workforce growth very significantly, helping businesses with rental costs and wage increases, addressing healthcare costs, enabling active ageing, among others. Very pro-Singaporean.

I don't understand why the White Paper was so different in approach from the Budget, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde all in the space of a few weeks. I am worried the Govt is developing a split personality, with all the implications that follow. What is happening??

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=5]Chen Show Mao[/h]
Much food for thought in DPM Tharman's Budget speech today still awaits digestion.

One fast Happy Meal inside, though, is paragraph D.106. "The second initiative is to integrate elder care services. As we scale up support to meet the needs of a growing elderly population, we will integrate the aged care services of the Centre for Enabled Living (CEL) and the Agency for Integrated Care (AIC) under one roof at AIC. The new AIC will be the single agency that helps the elderly and their caregivers to get easier access to both medical and social care services in the community."

This is of course what I had hoped for in a Budget cut I proposed during last year's proceedings -- that the costs of duplication (not just in terms of taxpayers' money, but also our seniors' efforts and time) could be avoided.

Sitting date: 07-03-2012
Mr Chen Show Mao (Aljunied): Sir, the importance of delivering integrated care to our seniors is well known. This applies not just to integrating the delivery of healthcare (medical, nursing, rehabilitative, mental health) but also integrating the delivery of healthcare and social and other care services, including home help, day care, counselling and other services.
The objectives of delivering integrated care are, of course, to make the care elder-centric, that is, to meet their needs for multiple types of care, in view of the chronic nature of many of their conditions, with as little fragmentation and duplication as possible. With this in view, could the Government actively investigate ways to integrate, coordinate or link the relevant functions or administration of AIC under MOH (which coordinates the delivery of healthcare to our seniors) and CEL under MCYS (which coordinates the delivery of social care support services)?

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=5]Daniel PS Goh[/h]
I am done with my last IPPT, forever. Had difficulty passing it this last time, and only managed to pass in the third try, because I was under the weather the first two times and couldn't complete the run due to breathlessness.

Anyways, I agree with what Ben says about Mr Hri Kumar's idea of a National Service Tax. It is quite ludicrous. But it is good that we get ludicrous ideas thrown up once in a while, so that we can debunk them and reaffirm our values.

I was asked by my unit to sign on the dotted line to become a volunteer last year, and I did. There was a moment of calculation before I signed. The calculation did not have figures of PR, FT, PAP, or WP in it. The calculation did not have the cheesy images of appreciative smiling wife (that will be the day!) with adoring children in it. The calculation went like this, "wha siah, I 40 already meh? let me see, I born in 1973, shit, yah, I will be 40 next year!"

I am very proud and happy that I can be a volunteer, that I would still be useful for service to my country even though I would be 40 this year. What am I defending? For this land, this nation to be free, for us Singaporeans to be able to decide our own fate, for better or for worse. It is as simple as that. Don't put dollar signs, cheesy images, and patronizing appreciations to it please. Just let me do it.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/ben-leong/explain-the-ns-tax-to-me-again/10151293942177549

Explain the NS Tax to me again?
I suspect that very few people truly enjoy doing NS.

18 year olds do not typically like to lose their freedom and have to "book in" every Sunday night.

Most will feel a sense of relief and liberation when the ORD day comes, but it does...Continue Reading ...

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=1]WP youth forum calls for review of race-based govt policies[/h]

Two speakers at a [URL="http://wp.sg/"]Workers’ Party
(WP) youth forum on race issues on Sunday called for the institution of anti-discrimination laws, as well as a re-look at some of the government’s key race-based policies.

“There has been some lobby for anti-discrimination laws, but Singapore does not yet have any specific anti-discrimination legislation, even though the Constitution actually guarantees no discrimination,” said independent civil activist Nizam Ismail, one of two panel speakers alongside recent WP member and lawyer Terence Tan.

Speaking at the WP YouthQuake forum held at the party headquarters in Syed Alwi Road, Nizam and Tan raised the issue of race classification in Singaporean identity cards, and the policies that are built upon the classification — something in Nizam’s view is increasingly becoming problematic with Singapore’s ever-more cosmopolitan society and the rise of inter-racial, inter-national marriages here.

“If we see 6.9 million people by 2030 or more, it will be a very different Singapore,” he said. “There will be a very cosmopolitan society, there’ll be people from all over the world, and your CMIO (Chinese, Malay, Indian, Others) model, which is already so problematic at this stage, will become utterly meaningless in 2030, because there’s no way you can put people in CMIO.

“So what happens to the rest of your race-based government policies that you have? It makes it even more meaningless,” he added.

Spotlight on race-based policies

The two highlighted examples of race-based policies to include the Group Representative Constituency (GRC) system, as well as the HDB ethnic integration programme, both of which are affirmative actions that ensure sufficient minority representation, and in the latter initiative, the prevention of racial enclaves in certain residential areas.

“People will question (in the case of GRCs) whether someone coming in comes in on his own merit or because he has an easy passage... so it creates conceptual difficulty because effectively, you are having an exception to (the ruling party’s) meritocratic principles in the GRC system,” said Nizam.

Nizam also noted that where inter-racial marriages are concerned, the order in which races are listed also impacts their treatment under the HDB ethnic integration policy.

“If you call yourself Chinese-Indian, you are treated as Chinese for the purposes of the EIP, but if you call yourself Indian-Chinese, then you are treated as an Indian. To me, it’s totally meaningless because this is a case where you have an immediate policy implication that has a dollars-and-cents (outcome) but that depends on how you are classified in your IC,” he said.

“Race is institutionalised in Singapore. It’s there in your ICs. Government policies talk about race, and that very descriptor in your IC is necessary for the government to implement a lot of their policies,” he added. “These policies actually accentuate differences and make it easier for stereotyping to happen.”

Ethnic community self-help groups questioned

Both speakers also questioned the relevance and usefulness of ethnic community self-help groups, which were initially formed to provide focused educational assistance to Singaporeans of specific races — these include Mendaki, SINDA and CDAC.

“It encourages a cultural deficiency fallacy, and what this means is that you create the perception that maybe there’s something about Malays and that’s why they need special help in terms of education — that there’s something inherently wrong with them,” said Nizam. “In my view, these community-based self-help groups tend to reinforce those stereotypes.”

Nizam argued further that these groups, alongside affiliated volunteer organisations, lack the expertise and experience to deal with the complexity of issues that educational difficulty and disadvantages stem from.

“The education problem is just one aspect of a whole set of complex problems, so for intervention to be really meaningful, you don’t just conduct tuition classes and think everything will be well,” he said. “You need to also devise social programmes to help the parents, to assist them in financial management, to make them realise the importance of education and social mobility and to keep motivating the students that there is room for them to do well in the system.”

Tan added that the existence of self-help groups accentuate the differences between the different races, when in his view, this is not necessary.

“Could we have a slightly more homogenous construct where potentially any Singaporean is deserving of financial or educational assistance? (Could) we target it from that perspective?” he asked.

Nizam also noted that the efforts of Mendaki, in particular, have not quite yielded “meaningful results” for students in the Malay community.

“I don’t think the system has reduced the gap between Malay students and non-Malay students, and it just hasn’t worked... and the question is whether you’re still going to have another 30 years where you see those lines (charting academic performance by race), and the Malay line keeping at the bottom,” he said. “Even for this year, some of the gaps are widening... because in my view you are not really addressing the core problem when you have the approach that (self-help groups) take, which is purely education.”

Employment

Turning to the issue of jobs, Nizam said existing race-based guidelines are not enforceable at work and a lack of legislation in this area will not encourage fairer practices.

“So if you think about it, there’s a disconnect. The Constitution, as the supreme law of the land, is supposed to govern all other laws in Singapore, but yet we are shying away from having a specific anti-discrimination law,” he added.

Nizam shared the reasons given by the Tripartite Alliance for Fair Employment Practices, which cited experiences in other countries that do have such laws to show that “legislation alone may not adequately change mindsets in this area”, adding that “employment relations are complex, and anti-discrimination legislation makes the labour market more rigid and less competitive”.

“But if you think about it, how effective can that be when you talk about enforceability and having consistent application? That argues for the presence of anti-discrimination laws,” he said.

[/URL]

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

WP hopes to raise S$1.5m to purchase headquarters
By Sharon See | Posted: 06 January 2013 1758 hrs

SINGAPORE: The opposition Workers' Party (WP) is hoping to raise S$1.5 million for the purchase of its own headquarters.

The party's secretary-general Low Thia Khiang and chairman Sylvia Lim said this at the party's first musical concert, titled "Bricks in Blue".

The concert was put up by Members of Parliament (MPs) and volunteers to thank supporters.

Ms Lim said: "I felt that we have some talent in the party. Second, I think it's also nice for people to see us in less serious light, and I think people generally enjoy being entertained, so the concert was put up with that in mind, that we will stretch ourselves and keep our residents entertained."

The concert featured a variety of performances, including songs in Mandarin, English and Malay by its MPs and volunteers, a magic show by NCMP Yee Jenn Jong and a poetry recital by Aljunied MP Chen Show Mao.

Ms Lim herself went through several costume changes and belted out defunct British pop group Eurythmics' classic hit "Sweet Dreams" and Taiwanese rock band Mayday's "Chun Zhen".

Tickets to its two shows at Jubilee Hall, which seats more than 300, were sold out.

At the show, Ms Lim said since the 2011 general election, the party has raised some S$500,000.

The money came from monthly contributions from its elected MPs, as well as private donations from friends and acquaintances.

Speaking to reporters during the musical intermission, Mr Low said the party's elected MPs have each been contributing S$1,000 per month from their MP allowance towards the fund.

The rest of the money, Ms Lim said, will be raised through public donations.

Ms Lim said the S$1.5 million will be used for the down payment of the property, while the balance of the purchase price will be financed through a loan.

Mr Low said the party has yet to find a suitable property. He said proceeds from the concert will go towards the party's building fund.

The party is currently renting an office along Syed Alwi Road.

Ms Lim said they are hoping to secure a two-storey shophouse unit.

She added that having its own asset means the party may also sublet a portion of the property to "make ourselves more self-sufficient".

- CNA/xq

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pDph1mNodZs?feature=player_detailpage" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

Published on Jan 11, 2013
Pritam Singh sings hokkien song

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jOJVsJSaDCs?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=1]Budget 2013 Speech – NCMP Yee Jenn Jong[/h]
jennjong.yee_.jpg

By Non-Constituency MP Yee Jenn Jong
[Delivered in Parliament on 5 March 2013]

Madam Speaker, I wish to touch on three areas in this year’s budget – SMEs, new industries and preschools.
I wish to declare that I own and operate private companies classified as SMEs. I have previously managed and owned childcare centres though I no longer do so now. Part of my current business supplies products and services to education institutions.

SMEs
SMEs form 99% of business entities in Singapore, employ 70% of all Singaporean workers and contribute 50% to the GDP (1). SMEs are facing great challenges due to higher rents, higher cost of goods and services and a manpower crunch.

DPM Tharman spoke of the pain that companies, particularly SMEs will go through as the economy restructures to one that’s based on higher productivity. Some companies will not survive the restructuring. I’d like to share about the pains of restructuring and some lessons we can learn when an industry restructures. I happened to have been in an industry segment that underwent very severe restructuring and experienced one of the highest rates of company closures.

During Singapore’s dotcom peak, I started a company developing e-learning solutions for education institutions. It could not have been at a worst time. From 1999-2000, there were suddenly some 50 companies in this space, most of them new start-ups fuelled by dotcom investments. Funding very quickly dried up after the NASDAQ crash of April 2000.

But the companies were already formed and operational. The industry demand was much smaller than what these companies had thought it was. These 50 companies fought tooth and nail over the meager market, for customers who were then not yet ready for the services being offered. I witnessed many companies shutting down, merging or being acquired. Companies tried different ways to stay relevant to the market. We too experimented with different business models and products, and had to go through the painful process of chopping off unprofitable business segments and to let go of excess headcount at our darkest hour, just to stay afloat.

Within seven years, the 50 companies were withered to around 10, and I reckon less than 5 had respectable growth and profitability. There are some lessons that I have learnt observing this brutal industry restructuring first hand.

The first lesson is that those that survived had adapted their business processes to merge certain job functions to stay lean. Faced with poor prospects for better revenue, companies had to look internally to keep costs down. Being in a human resource driven knowledge industry, the biggest cost was manpower. Companies had to re-examine business processes to see which job functions could be merged or reinvented to cut costs. Company structures were flattened and employees empowered to do more.

A second and important lesson was that surviving companies had to find new business models to try to create new revenue sources. There is a limit to how much cost one can cut to be more productive. Revenue had to increase and companies had to find these revenue sources. Some companies merged or acquired other smaller players to achieve better economies of scale or used their combined strengths to create new business models.

The government is calling for companies to be more productive to overcome the immediate challenges. What is productivity?
Productivity is output divided by input. Financial output divided by labour input is also known as labour productivity, or value added per worker. Output is commonly measured as revenue less cost of purchased goods and services. (2)

In the context of my restructuring experience, survivors changed business processes to become lean. By reducing labour input while maintaining the same financial output, there will be productivity gains. But more critically, to make quantum leaps in productivity, financial output has to be significantly increased without corresponding increase in workforce. This can be done either by expanding the current market or modifying business models to gain new revenue sources or by merger and acquisition.

I believe these lessons can apply to other industries. For example, in the F&B industry, we have heard feedback about the lack of Singaporeans wanting to work in the industry. In his budget speech, DPM Tharman said that over the past 5 years, the F&B workforce has increased by 31% with Singaporeans actually making up half of the increase. So Singaporeans do enter this industry. Yet we hear of a shortage of manpower. The boss of Jumbo restaurant was pictured in the Straits Times clearing dishes.

DPM Tharman cited F&B as an example of a fragmented industry structure. Could there be too many F&B outlets in this industry chasing the limited customers’ dollar? Is there too much mall and shop spaces allocated for F&B? When an industry consolidates, manpower that is not fully utilized will be redeployed to companies that most urgently need them to cope with the bustling business. Or some companies may have to reinvent their business model or product offerings to generate new revenue streams.

Given Singapore’s limited market size, for meaningful productivity to be sustained through revenue growth, there should also be increased efforts to secure new overseas markets. The role of agencies such as IE Singapore becomes even more important. Singapore firms will need to create strong expertise and brands around products that have high demand in new markets. We have some success in areas such as oil rigs, food, and water technologies. The challenge is for the government to help identify more industry clusters and match that with emerging new markets.

The government has implemented various new schemes to help locals companies. The Productivity and Innovation Credit, or PIC was introduced two years ago. This year we have an interesting Wage Credit Scheme or WCS.

While WCS’s objective is to help companies share the fruits of productivity increases with workers, I believe it is intended to also provide companies with extra cash. Employers generally give increments to retain workers. WCS will run for the next 3 years. The 40% share by the government will be given back to employers only after the end of the year, which will impact the company’s cash flow. This means that employers will be careful not to give wage increases unless they have to and can afford to. Employers will likely be giving regular wage increases as they would generally have done so even without this scheme. Cash strapped companies will still resist wage increases.

Madam, I welcome any scheme that can help local companies cope with the current economic challenges. It will be interesting though to see which companies will benefit from WCS. MNCs, larger companies and more profitable companies have been and will be able to make wage increases. Smaller and struggling SMEs will still not do so. Perhaps the DPM can share what type of companies will likely benefit most from WCS looking at wage data from the past 2 years of CPF records. What is the government’s expectation of SME’s share of the $3.6 billion payout? If in reality, WCS ends up not helping SMEs much, the government will need to find more targeted ways to support them.

PIC is given a new push with the new one-for-one top-up grant of $5,000 per year. It’s a generous payout over and above the earlier PIC payouts. I think that should get many more smaller companies to use PIC as they will get more cash than what they have invested.
The PIC process is relatively easy to administer compared to most other government grant schemes. While PIC is useful to provide some relief to companies, it is limited in effectiveness for some types of companies which really need a major transformation. It is not always automation that will help companies restructure. Sometimes, it requires drastic changes to business processes, organization structures and to business models.

I would like the government to consider additional ways to help companies restructure. One is in the area of M&A.
In fragmented industries where there are too many companies chasing the market, it makes sense to consolidate. Merger and acquisition done strategically could boost revenues or result in greater manpower efficiency. In Budget2010, the government implemented the mergers and acquisitions, or M&A scheme (3). The scheme is hardly attractive as it allows M&A allowance of 5% of the value of acquisition as tax allowance.

Budget2012 provided for 200% tax allowance on transaction costs. Transaction costs cover professional fees, legal fees and valuation fees.

These two provisions benefit mainly large transactions. To encourage M&A activities amongst SMEs, we need the scheme to be more targeted. The M&A scheme could be graduated to allow higher allowances for smaller SME consolidation and M&A transactions. For example allowance could be 30% for deal size of $500,000 or below, another scale at $1 million, and a further lower rate at say $5 million. This would cover the typical deal size for acquisition of smaller SMEs.

The current scheme allows only for outright purchase of shares. Many acquirers prefer to buy over operations and businesses of SMEs, but not the entire company as they do not wish to be entangled with liabilities that may be associated with the target company. We can loosen the definition of M&A to include such type of acquisitions.

We can also incentivise the acquirers to automate the operations of their acquired businesses to achieve greater productivity and to change old business models. We already have the PIC scheme with its schedule of qualifying activities. We can look at allowing even higher than 400% tax allowances for investment in automation and higher than the existing cap of $400,000 in tax allowances for merged business entities to get them to speed up investments for productivity improvements.

New Industries
I am glad the government is constantly looking at new industries to develop as the economic landscape is rapidly changing due to globalization and technological advancement. This is important as Singapore companies continue to seek areas it can fill a niche in.

One area I hope the government can give more attention to is renewable energy. Last Saturday, the Straits Times reported energy scenario projections by Shell. The report projected that total energy demand could double in the next 50 years as the world’s population rises to 9.5 billion. In a high energy demand scenario, Shell predicted a strong push for the development of solar power as an alternative source of energy. By 2070, solar photovoltaic panels could become the world’s largest primary source of energy.

Singapore is constrained by a small land size. We have been told that even if all our rooftops and building surfaces are covered with photovoltaic panels, we could only have up to 14% of our energy needs being met.

I think that should not stop us from aggressively promoting and pursuing renewable energy installation expertise and technologies at a faster pace so that our companies can export their renewable energy products and services to fast developing countries in regions hungry for more energy.

Our public projects can be more aggressive in using renewable energy. The government can actively support local companies to build up their abilities to install such set-ups. Just as we had supported local companies to build up capabilities in water technologies that allowed them to become global players in this field, we can do likewise now in renewable energy.

Preschools and Student Care
Finally, preschools and student care.
The government has planned to more than double its spending to $3 billion for the preschool sector over the next 5 years. It is good that the government is acknowledging the importance of early childhood education and is putting significant investment into it. It is forming the Early Childhood Development Agency to combine the preschool functions of MSF and MOE. This is something that many industry players, experts and observers had been calling for.

The government plans to bring more operators onto the Anchor Operator or AOP scheme. At last year’s national day rally, the Prime Minister had said there will be 2 or 3 more AOPs. There will be an additional 16,000 places by AOPs to add to the existing 17,000 places. (4)
I have previously spoken on this issue and I believe this will drastically alter Singapore’s childcare landscape. It is currently being served by a diverse number of private and non-profit operators, with a good deal of variety and innovation. The AOP scheme was initiated in 2009. It provides AOPs with easy availability of new centres at typically under 10% of prevailing monthly rental cost of private operators, a generous combination of start-up grants which I worked out to be around $600,000 per new centre and grants for teacher training and scholarships. (5)
In return, AOP are expected to charge fees below the industry median. That’s hardly any challenge at all, given that the generous grants and low rents will easily allow them to achieve this without having to be innovative or be cost conscious. The dearth of remaining new sites for non AOPs have seen rents being bided to highly unsustainable levels. This budget has increased salary grants to AOPs. This will accelerate the outflow of teachers from non-AOP centres to AOPs. There are 2 important things necessary for operators to succeed in this industry: Location and Teachers. Non AOPs will be choked off in these two key areas.

While it is good that the government is pumping a lot of money into this sector, the industry is wrongly structured and the huge grants will worsen the situation. There will be negative consequences arising from the current AOP scheme. It will wipe out many existing players, especially operators charging fees that cater to lower and middle income families. The 2 current and 2-3 new AOPs will not have to compete hard to be innovative. A healthy level of competition is needed for operators to be innovative, to continue to offer high quality services at competitively affordable prices. I believe we can instead structure childcare as a public good, with regular competition by all operators for packages of sites at fees regulated by MSF. With the same level of investment the government has planned, I believe it will achieve in better outcomes for affordability, accessibility and quality.

The higher number of working parents has seen fast rising demand for childcare. These same parents will also need good quality and affordable student care facilities. It will be another important area as a social leveler.
I will touch on childcare and student care further in my COS cuts on MSF. Thank you.

References

1. Spotlight On SMPs and SMEs – The SMP, SME http://www.icpas.org.sg/mediacentre/admin/upload/20120522022044634732932440629198.pdf
2. A Guide to Productivity Measurement http://www.spring.gov.sg/resources/documents/guidebook_productivity_measurement.pdf)
3. [url]http://www.iras.gov.sg/irashome/ma-allowance.aspx[/URL]
4. [url]http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/govt-raises-funding-pre-school-sector-s3b[/URL]
5. [url]http://app.msf.gov.sg/PressRoom/Disbursementofgrantstononprofitchildcare.aspx[/URL] and http://app.msf.gov.sg/PressRoom/Allocationofnewvoiddeckchildcarecentres.aspx

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=1]Budget 2013 Speech – NCMP Gerald Giam[/h]

Gerald.jpg

By Non-Constituency MP Gerald Giam
[Delivered in Parliament on 5 March 2013]

Mr Deputy Speaker,
Despite what was described as an “inclusive” budget last year aimed at creating more opportunities for lower- and middle-income Singaporeans, Singapore’s income gap widened in 2012. According to the Department of Statistics, after adjusting for government transfers and taxes, Singapore’s Gini coefficient rose from 0.448 in 2011 to 0.459 last year, indicating increased income inequality. It was much higher than the average of 0.311 in the OECD (a grouping of 34 mostly high-income, developed countries), after adjustments for taxes and transfers (OECD 2012).

In his Budget speech, the DPM and Finance Minister correctly pointed out that income inequality poses a risk to social cohesion. However it is not just social cohesion that is threatened by inequality.
Nobel Prize-winning economist Joseph Stiglitz (2012) has pointed out that inequality could stifle economic growth, and could result in lower economic efficiency and productivity. A high level of inequality can also lead to lower levels of trust in government and business, an effect that we are clearly witnessing in Singapore. High inequality contributes to slowing social mobility. This in turn devalues the concept of meritocracy that we hold so dear to in Singapore. A study by several World Bank economists found that an increase in income inequality has a “significant and robust effect of raising crime rates” (Fajnzylber et al. 2002).

I am glad to note the DPM’s view that meritocracy alone will not guarantee social mobility. For too long, we have been told that we can attain the “Singapore Dream” as long as we work hard and have the talent. This is not necessarily so. There are many other factors that hold an individual back, many of which are beyond his or her control. Some have to do with an individual’s socio-economic background, and others are institutional like our high stakes examination system which often depends so much on expensive tuition to excel in.
I welcome the moves towards making our tax system more progressive. This is an important step towards a fairer society. Comments from some analysts that this a “Robin Hood budget” are misplaced. Singapore still trails behind many other developed countries in the progressivity of its tax system (Oishi et al. 2011).

The first step towards building a truly “democratic society based on justice and equality” is to acknowledge that we are all in this together. The wealthy in Singapore – and we have the world’s highest percentage of millionaires and the second-highest percentage of ultra-high-net-worth households (BCG 2012) – must be prepared to contribute their fair share of taxes.
The rich do not exist in a vacuum. They need employees who are engaged and working productively to increase their companies’ output and profits. They also need good public infrastructure from the transport networks to the National Broadband Network, all of which are financed largely by tax dollars, to lubricate the gears of our economy.

WAGE CREDIT SCHEME AND WAGE SUBSIDIES
Sir, I support the idea of providing temporary wage subsidies to firms to help them to employ Singaporeans and to improve the pay of their local employees.
The Wage Credit Scheme (WCS) is a generous scheme aimed at encouraging companies to share their productivity gains with their employees. While I believe the WCS will help to raise wages of some workers, I am not sure how effective it will be at raising productivity, which the DPM has said is our “most important economic priority”.
Perhaps the government expects that the productivity initiatives like the PIC (Productivity and Innovation Credit) will see a high uptake and as these companies benefit from productivity increases, the WCS will encourage them to raise wages. But productivity investments made now will only bear fruit some time down the road, by which time the WCS would be about to expire.
The WCS will certainly help firms which already plan to raise wages now. But these are likely to be companies which are already profitable, and will include a disproportionate number of MNCs and GLCs, rather than SMEs. Those which are experiencing a squeeze in profits are unlikely to raise wages even with the WCS, since they will still have to foot 60% of the wage increases for the next three years, and 100% thereafter.

“NEW HIRE WAGE CREDIT”
The WCS also does not help firms to hire new local workers in the wake of a tightened foreign worker inflow, since it only subsidises salary increases for existing workers. This is a need which has not been adequately addressed in this Budget.
Many SMEs lament that they cannot find locals to fill their vacancies; they say many Singaporeans prefer to work for MNCs. However, SMEs often have difficulty matching the payscales of MNCs.
To help SMEs hire more Singaporeans, I would like to propose that the government provide a temporary wage subsidy for SMEs to hire economically inactive and out-of-work Singaporeans. These include homemakers, the unemployed, and some senior citizens and persons with disabilities. This subsidy should be in addition to the existing Special Employment Credit for persons with disabilities and older workers.

I will call this the “New Hire Wage Credit” scheme. It could pay for one-quarter of the first six months’ salary of each new hire and should be available for the next three years.
The New Hire Wage Credit would be available to workers earning less than $4,000 per month or the equivalent in part-time pay, and only SMEs should benefit from it. Companies would only be able to claim the New Hire Wage Credit for a particular position once, and for new hires who have not benefited from the scheme in previous jobs. This would encourage the SME to put in place good HR practices that help retain the staff, and the new hire to stay on the job longer. In addition, to prevent workers from changing jobs just to take advantage of this scheme, companies would only be eligible to claim under this scheme if they hire someone who has been unemployed for at least the last four months.
With this scheme, SMEs will firstly be able to attract more Singaporeans by offering a higher starting pay. This will help to meet SMEs’ current manpower needs without having to increase the overall foreign worker headcount. Secondly, it will help increase the resident labour force participation rate (LFPR) by increasing the opportunity costs of not working. And thirdly, it will help unemployed Singaporeans to secure jobs.
I estimate this scheme will cost about $396 million over the next three years, an amount which can be covered under this year’s budget[1].

PRODUCTIVITY
Mr Deputy Speaker, I would now like to speak briefly about productivity. Since 2010, the government has set itself a goal of raising productivity by 2 to 3% per annum on average over 10 years. It has committed $5.5 billion from 2010 to 2014 to help achieve this. The government set up the National Productivity and Continuing Education Council (NPCEC) in April 2010 to galvanise the nation to achieve this national productivity growth target[2].
The Council has identified 16 priority sectors to improve productivity in. Topping this list is the construction industry, which benefits from a $250 million Construction Productivity and Capability Fund (CPCF) to boost productivity growth.
In his Budget speech, the DPM has said that raising productivity is our “most important economic priority”.
But what has our productivity drive achieved so far? In 2010, productivity growth was 11.1%, which was a rebound after two years of negative growth of -7.3% and -3.6% in 2008 and 2009 respectively (DOS 2012). In 2011, productivity growth dropped to 1.3%. Last year it dropped further to -2.5% on the back of five consecutive quarters of decline. This latest drop was broad-based, with manufacturing, construction and services sectors all experiencing declines (CNA 2013, MTI 2012). In the construction sector, annual productivity growth fell to -0.2% in 2012 despite all the focus of the NPCEC.

Based on current trends, it is hard to see how we are going to achieve the target of 2 to 3% per annum average productivity growth over 10 years. The government itself does not seem very optimistic. The DPM said that this target is “ambitious but we must make every effort to achieve it”. The recent Population White Paper qualified at least twice that it is “an ambitious stretch target”.
I can understand that some productivity initiatives have a long gestation period, but how long will it be before we can start seeing results? Each year that passes with low productivity is one more year that our companies are getting less competitive, and one more year in which our workers will experience slow growth in their incomes.
This year’s budget seems to be focused on enhancing the existing PIC scheme. Is the government satisfied that the PIC is effective in producing the desired outcomes? If productivity continues to languish below 1 or 2% for a further two quarters this year, will the government consider more drastic measures before the end of this year to boost productivity?

CONCLUSION
In conclusion, Mr Deputy Speaker, this Budget has the right focus on economic restructuring, reducing our reliance on foreign manpower and raising the incomes of Singaporeans. I have outlined in my speech some suggestions on how we can better help SMEs through their restructuring journey, while at the same time helping economically inactive and unemployed Singaporeans to find jobs. I hope that with a more distributive budget, we will start to narrow the income gap and improve the well-being of all Singaporeans.

References

BCG (Boston Consulting Group), 2012. “Global Wealth 2012: The Battle to Regain Strength”. May 2012.
CNA (Channel NewsAsia), 2013. “Singapore’s labour productivity drops 2.6% in 2012”. Saifulbahri Ismail. 22 February 2013. Retrieved from http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/1255860/1/.html.
DOS (Department of Statistics), 2008. “Household Expenditure Survey, 1997/98 – 2007/08”. Retrieved from http://www.singstat.gov.sg/stats/themes/people/hes.pdf.
DOS, 2012. “Yearbook in Statistics 2012”. Retrieved from http://www.singstat.gov.sg/pubn/reference/yos12/statsT-labour2.pdf.
Fajnzylber, Pablo, Daniel Lederman and Norman Loayza, 2002. “Inequality and Violent Crime”. Journal of Law and Economics, vol XLV (April 2002).
MTI (Ministry of Trade and Industry), 2012. “Economic Survey of Singapore 2012”. Retrieved from http://www.mti.gov.sg/ResearchRoom/...rvey-of-Singapore-2012/FullReport_AES2012.pdf.
OECD, 2012. OECD.StatExtracts. Retrieved from http://stats.oecd.org/Index.aspx?QueryId=26068.
Oishi, Shigehiro, Ulrich Shimmack and Ed Diener, 2011. “Progressive Taxation and the Subjective Well-Being of Nations”. Psychological Science. Dec. 8, 2011.
Stiglitz, Joseph, 2012. “The price of inequality: How today’s divided society endangers our future”.
Stiglitz, Joseph, 2013. “Inequality is holding back the recovery”. New York Times. Jan. 19, 2013.

[1] Without the New Hire Wage Credit, the overall Budget Balance for FY2013 is projected to be a surplus of $2.4 billion.

[2] http://www.mom.gov.sg/skills-traini...ctivity-and-continuing-education-council.aspx