• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

"...The Workers' Party is Finished"

PTADER

Alfrescian
Loyal
While credit cannot be taken from WP for securing a GRC, I sense a creeping arrogance in LTK's (see here) and his supporters' post-election claims, language and tone.

Hopefully it is nothing more than temporary triumphalism and they are able to get down from cloud nine very quickly and be humble.

I will post three reports from the Singapore Prostitute Press from 19 years ago when the SDP under Chiam, was at the height of its arrogance because it had 4 seats in Parliament.

I hope it will be instructive to the WP and its supporters.

Report 1

Opposition leaders dismiss Chiam's 'arrogant' claim

147th Prostitute Press
21 December 1992

Marine Parade GRC by-election : The day after ---------------------------------------------

OPPOSITION leaders have dismissed as mistaken and arrogant Mr Chiam See Tong's claim that voters in Saturday's by-election endorsed his Singapore Democratic Party as the second force in a two-party political system.

"Chiam can draw whatever conclusion he likes. It doesn't follow that he is right," said Workers' Party chief J.B. Jeyaretnam yesterday.

"I don't think that the electorate is showing that it only wants two parties."

WP's unexpected pull-out from the Marine Parade GRC race cleared the way for Mr Chiam's party to capture the lion's share of the opposition vote.

SDP won 24.5 per cent of the valid votes. The Singapore Justice Party and the National Solidarity Party secured less than 1.5 per cent each.

Mr Jeyaretnam said that the WP, had it contested, would have received at least as many votes as the SDP. It would have boosted the total opposition vote and denied Prime Minister Goh Chok Tong his resounding 73 per cent share.

"Goh Chok Tong should thank God that he didn't have the WP to face in the by-election," he said. He added that while a PAP victory was not unexpected, the margin was a surprise.

In terms of the number of seats it contested in recent elections, WP is Singapore's largest opposition party. It has one member in Parliament, Hougang MP Low Thia Khiang, compared to three from SDP.

Secretary-general Jeyaretnam's participation in the by-election had appeared initially to be a foregone conclusion. But on Nomination Day, the fourth candidate on his team failed to show up on time, resulting in the party's shock pull-out.

"I was unhappy, and I'm still unhappy," Mr Jeyaretnam said. But noting that the SDP and the ruling party were "crowing" over the incident, he added: "They can get on the roof-tops and shout that the Workers' Party is finished. But the proof of the pudding is in the eating."

He said that he would do all that was humanly possible to make it 100 per cent certain that his party would fight the next round.

He also took umbrage at Senior Minister Lee Kuan Yew's rally remark that his
long-time opponent had "chickened out".

"Lee Kuan Yew, of all people, should know that J.B. Jeyaretnam doesn't chicken out. The public of Singapore also knows," he said, as he challenged Mr Lee to an electoral showdown in the next election.

In the NSP camp, secretary-general Ken Sunn accused Mr Chiam of arrogance and selfishness.

He said that SDP's refusal to acknowledge the other opposition parties was similar to the PAP's attitude to the opposition as a whole.

He warned that with such an attitude, the SDP, if it ever came to power, would then be in favour of a one-party state.

"Can we afford to let this kind of people run the country?" said Mr Sunn, who quit the SDP to help form NSP in 1987.

Defending the need for a multiplicity of opposition parties, he said that different parties represented different sections of society: "If you only want black and white, what about all the colours in between?"

On NSP's 1.4 per cent share of Saturday's valid votes, he said that his five-year-old party had nevertheless achieved its objective of raising public awareness of its existence. The next step was to convince voters to vote for it, he said.

He agreed with Mr Jeyaretnam's view that the WP could have raised the opposition's total vote. As 67,126 out of 73,986 eligible electors had cast valid votes, he noted, it meant that 6,860 people had either spoiled their votes or stayed away.

Many of these might have been WP supporters left in the cold. Although WP ha d endorsed NSP, this came too late to make an impact, he lamented.

Mr Sahid Sahooman, president of the Singapore Malay National Organisation (PKMS), said that Mr Goh had performed well, thereby strengthening his position in the ruling party. Like other opposition leaders, Mr Sahid also believed that there was room for more than one strong opposition party.

"Mr Chiam can say what he likes. We are confident that we have support," he said.

PKMS deputy president Mohamed Awang added that WP's non-participation meant that SDP could not claim the by-election to be an accurate gauge of support for it.

Mr Ibrahim Ariff, president of the year-old Singapore National Front, also disagreed with Mr Chiam's interpretation, pointing out that SDP's performance was little better than the SJP's 22.8 per cent score in last year's general election.

All the opposition leaders interviewed also dismissed Mr Chiam's statement that the days of electoral pacts were over, and that it was now every party for itself. They said they would continue to work for opposition solidarity regardless of SDP's stand.

PTADER

Alfrescian
Loyal
Report 2

NSP steps up attacks against other parties and Chiam
147th Prostitute Press
13 December 1992

* By-election in Marine Parade GRC ----------------------------------

THE National Solidarity Party last night stepped up its attacks against the three other parties contesting the by-election, reserving its most vitriolic comments for the Singapore Democratic Party and its leader Chiam See Tong.

Almost to a man, candidates and NSP members described the SDP as arrogant for presuming that it was the main opposition party, with a speaker suggesting that Mr Chiam's title as unofficial leader of the opposition had gone to his head.

The speakers, who used mainly Mandarin and Hokkien, cited as proof of SDP's arrogance and incompetence:

* SDP's refusal to join the Cost Review Committee.

* SDP MPs' performance in Parliament.

* SDP-Workers' Party unity talks which left NSP out in the cold, and resulted in a four-cornered fight in the by-election.

Said former SDP member Ken Sunn, now NSP secretary-general and a candidate:

"Never trust the SDP. I know it well, and I know they are not really democratic, only democratic in name."

Added candidate Sarry Hassan: "Look at the opposition in Parliament. What have they done? Policies are being changed all the time."

NSP member Ong Seng Kwe even suggested that Mr Chiam was arrogant because he was English-educated and lacked Confucian values.

Turning to the People's Action Party, the NSP accused the Government of frequent changes in policies, citing, as an example, how the "stop at two" population policy became "Have three, or more if you can afford it".

Its newcomer, Dr Paul Yong, said that PAP MPs did not have time for the people and again pledged that he would go into politics full-time if elected.

Mr Sarry referred to PAP's newcomer, Commodore (Res) Teo Chee Hean, saying that if the PAP team was elected, there would be yet another military man in Parliament, in addition to Brigadier-Generals (Res) George Yeo and Lee Hsien Loong.

"We have become a military-led country like Thailand and Indonesia."

As for the Singapore Justice Party, which is contesting the ward for the third time and had attacked the SDP and NSP for encroaching on its "home-ground", Mr Sunn said: "Thanks for taking care of Marine Parade for us. Now we have a better team and ready to take over. The SJP may rest in peace."

NSP candidates also raised cost-of-living issues, with Dr Yong saying that the Government should make university education free, and waive conservancy and services charges for the lower-income group for a year.

The Government should also lower corporate and property tax to help businessmen and spur entrepreneurship, he added.

NSP president and candidate Tan Chee Kien said he would press for dialects to be used more widely, as these were the languages of the lower-income Chinese Singaporeans.

PTADER

Alfrescian
Loyal
Report 3

SJP and NSP attack SDP for assuming mantle of leadership in the opposition

147th Prostitute Press
12 December 1992

* By-election in Marine Parade GRC ----------------------------------

THE Singapore Democratic Party came under fire from the two other opposition
parties contesting the poll for promoting itself as the main opposition player in a two-party system.

The National Solidarity Party said that Singapore was not ready for a two-party system as it would take years to increase opposition strength in Parliament from the present four seats.

In any case, how could SDP be the main opposition party when it was so similar to the PAP, asked NSP candidate and party president Tan Chee Kien at the NSP's rally last night.

He said that the NSP did not expect to win the by-election, but wanted to gain electoral support to strengthen its position as an opposition party.

"This by-election is not about who will win or lose. We join the by-election , frankly speaking, without the attitude that we will win," he said in Mandarin.

At another rally, the Singapore Justice Party accused the SDP of arrogance for claiming that it would treat the by-election as a one-to-one fight with the ruling party.

The SJP, which is contesting the ward for the third time, also attacked both
the SDP and NSP for encroaching on what it called its home ground.

Candidate and party chairman Suib Abdul Rahman said the other two parties took the "easy way out" in the past two general elections and avoided Mr Goh Chok Tong's Marine Parade GRC.

They were contesting it this time only because there was nowhere else to fight.

"Will SDP or NSP be there in the next election? No. But SJP will always be i n Marine Parade," he added.

'For the people'

The NSP's pitch to Marine Parade GRC voters was: Vote NSP - the party for the people.

It described the PAP as arrogant and unable to relate to ordinary citizens, unlike the NSP candidates who were able to identify with the ground.

Party members were also quick to point out that although their new candidate , Dr Paul Yong, had an engineering doctorate, he came from a humble background.

Indeed, in his speech, Dr Yong himself dwelt on his background: He knew what

hardship was as he had supported himself through school by delivering newspapers.

He added that both he and Mr Tan would enter politics full-time if they were elected as MPs.

The speakers at the rally, held beside Paya Lebar MRT station, also raised other issues, such as COEs and the rising cost of education.

NSP president Tan also said that Chinese-educated Singaporeans had been treated as second-class citizens in the past, adding that Deputy Prime Minister Ong Teng Cheong had been passed over as PM because he was Chinese-educated.

NSP's Malay candidate Sarry Hassan said that if the Government wanted to help the Malay community, it should set up banks and financial institutions for them.

Cost of living

At its Marine Drive rally, the four SJP candidates mainly attacked the cost of living under the PAP. Technician Theng Chin Eng cited rising school fees and medical charges.

Sales executive Yen Kim Khooi said the Government's Cost Review Committee was a typical civil servant's response and would result in endless meetings and do nothing to solve poor people's immediate problems.

New candidate Lim Teong Howe said that he knew from personal experience that
the PAP did not care about small businessmen.

The bureaucracy was inflexible, he said, and government policies, such as the vehicle quota and foreign worker levy, were driving up the cost of doing business.

PTADER

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is LTK's 6-seats WP now turning into Chiam's 4-seats SDP?

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1127541/1/.html

GE: S'poreans view WP as rational, responsible & credible, says Low

08 May 2011 1946 hrs
Special Report

SINGAPORE : This General Election has yielded the best result for the Workers' Party (WP) so far.

Its party chief, Low Thia Khiang, said the strong support is an endorsement of the kind of opposition that Singaporeans want - one that is "rational, responsible and credible".

Mr Low was speaking to reporters as the party celebrated its win in Aljunied Group Representation Constituency (GRC) and Hougang.

The new MPs-elect of Aljunied GRC received a warm welcome from residents on Sunday.

The WP garnered 54.71 per cent of valid votes, and Mr Low has hailed his win of a GRC as a breakthrough. He said residents in Aljunied GRC have given the party a mandate as the party has fielded a credible team that residents feel they can trust.

The party is eligible for two seats as Non-Constituency MPs, as their candidates in Joo Chiat SMC and East Coast GRC were among the best performing losers in the polls.

Mr Low said the party's Central Executive Council will make a decision whether to take up the seats.

He said: "The position on NCMP is that the party's Central Executive Council will decide, none of us will encourage or discourage. The party will decide, whether or not particular candidates being offered a seat in NCMP should take up the seat."

He added: "Singaporeans have looked up to the Workers' Party as a rational, responsible and credible party. They have responded to the approach of politics which I have taken, that we should not oppose for the sake of (opposing), although we are the opposition.

"I also do not believe that we should do grand standing by trying to show people that we are very confrontational just because we are the opposition; we will confront when necessary.

"This election shows that Singaporean voters endorse the approach that it has taken, although they were some critics over the Internet that 'you are conservative, PAP (People's Action Party) approved Low Thia Khiang...', but I think this election shows that this is the kind of opposition that Singaporeans want - rational, responsible and credible."

On what the PAP could have done wrong to enable the opposition to win a GRC, Mr Low said: "I am not sure what they have done wrong, but I think they have done pretty right so far, and the PAP has a lot of resources, and a lot of strategists and a lot of advisors to advise them. I do not think they have done anything wrong so far.

"Although some remarks might have triggered off some ground reaction, but how much ground reaction actually will translate into votes, we do not know, but so far, from what they have done, including the apologies from the prime minister, I think they have done the right thing."

The Aljunied team includes Chen Show Mao who has spent most of his life overseas.

He said: "I think Singaporeans are open to the notion that overseas Singaporeans continue to be Singaporeans. I think as more and more of us go out into the world to make our living, every family with a husband, with a son, with a father...abroad understands that they do not just switch off and become somebody else. Of course, it is not the same of being here, but you know it is also not suddenly turning into an American or Chinese..."

Mr Chen added: "Without the benefit of a track record, and such, just based on what they know about what we stand for, I do feel a great responsibility to make sure that they do not go away regretting their decisions."

The team also has the first Malay-Muslim opposition MP.

Muhamad Faisal Abdul Manap said: "I am feeling very happy about it, but at the same time, (I am) full of humility because I am given this responsibility to shoulder...I think we will be the alternative voice towards the Malay PAP leadership and I believe there so many (people) yearning for such voices to be heard in Parliament."

Mr Low said his team's priority is to take over the management of the Aljunied Town Council and to use the existing premises, if he is allowed to.

He said he has just 45 days to do so and it will be a wastage of resources to start a new town council from scratch.

Mr Low said: "I want to know from the managing agent, what they plan to do, and they must let us know the plan earlier, because we can get ourselves prepared to get the staff ready and get someone else to come and help to manage the town."

As for Aljunied residents, they are looking forward to the party carrying out plans for upgrading and the elderly.

One resident said: "I hope they can maintain the areas like the cleanliness and maintaining the lifts..."

Another added: "To improve our quality of living, standard of living and education and maybe our transportation, most important is our needs."

A third said: "The houses are quite old, so I hope the upgrading will be continuous, and of course, taking care of the elderly is the primary priority for the Workers' Party.'

Mr Low said he will share his plans for Aljunied at a later date.

Last edited:

cicada

Alfrescian
Loyal
who cares what you think Ptader, btw.. i dun bother reading your so call edvidence.. yawns* u r just one out of the clock old birdie.. even a broken clock gets the time right twice a day

--- pissed to you brother---

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal
Interesting perspectives. Chiam's arrogance then and failure today is a long road which he travelled.

But LTK is different from Chiam. In every area where it counts, for the better. He shows his love for Singapore by consistently speaking up in Parliament, demonstrated his leadership and build a cohesive team. He carefully avoided putting his wife in Hougang even though there were established precedents which attests to such legality. He operates by a different set of principles. He is of course vulnerable to the jealousy of the other oppositions who may seek to reduce his vote share in the next election.

Power changes people. So do successes. But your point, even if unintended, is a good one: may LTK not travel the road used by Chiam. Be humble until the day WP is definitely the Alternative Party. Right now, WP has the potential. Until the potential is realized, it remains just a possibility. Also LTK does not have the pioneering spirit of LKY, nor his charisma which can command confidence and respect. At the moment there is no worthwhile candidate in the opposition camp. In the land of incompetents, the steady survives.

The next election will be one which either strengthens WP or confirm that it is just a temporary-GRC party. If WP can win 20 to 30 seats, then its strength is assured. If not, I doubt the more ambitious people will want to remain in a political battle just to retain Hougang for the next 30 years. LTK should just concentrate on making Aljunid a happy community and Parliament the showcase of what an Alternative Party can do. Walking like a cock, is premature. Because it won only 1 GRC. Significant. Yet insignificant.

Last edited:

tioliaohuat

Alfrescian
Loyal
this siao kia from sdp baru, wanna cho luan the ooposition, why? because he see the WP got
6 seat he bei tai han liao

Last edited:

ivebert

Alfrescian
Loyal
funny-gif5.gif

patrickv

Alfrescian
Loyal
wtf?

i read a couple of times and i dun find wp to be arrogant. whats your beef with them? u are another yellow_people?:oIo:

greg-chappell-middle-finger.jpg

cicada

Alfrescian
Loyal
this siao kia from sdp baru wanna cho luan the ooposition, why? because he see the WP got
6 seat he bei tai han liao

Looks like Lui tuck Yew's / Ypap IB troopers are here to create mayhem again... woes.. are dark days upon us?. ..

cicada

Alfrescian
Loyal
wtf?

i read a couple of times and i dun find wp to be arrogant. whats your beef with them? u are another yellow_people?:oIo:

greg-chappell-middle-finger.jpg

He is using the old trick of using advantageous circumstancial edvidence to build his fictious sand castle then laced it with a good dose of poison and venom to lure the sheeps.. becareful to take the bait...

Fool_Me_Hard

Alfrescian
Loyal
Interesting perspectives. Chiam's arrogance then and failure today is a long road which he travelled.

But LTK is different from Chiam. In every area where it counts, for the better. He shows his love for Singapore by consistently speaking up in Parliament, demonstrated his leadership and build a cohesive team. He carefully avoided putting his wife in Hougang even though there were established precedents which attests to such legality. He operates by a different set of principles. He is of course vulnerable to the jealousy of the other oppositions who may seek to reduce his vote share in the next election.

Power changes people. So do successes. But your point, even if unintended, is a good one: may LTK not travel the road used by Chiam. Be humble until the day WP is definitely the Alternative Party. Right now, WP has the potential. Until the potential is realized, it remains just a possibility. Also LTK does not have the pioneering spirit of LKY, nor his charisma which can command confidence and respect. At the moment there is no worthwhile candidate in the opposition camp. In the land of incompetents, the steady survives.

The next election will be one which either strengthens WP or confirm that it is just a temporary-GRC party. If WP can win 20 to 30 seats, then its strength is assured. If not, I doubt the more ambitious people will want to remain in a political battle just to retain Hougang for the next 30 years. LTK should just concentrate on making Aljunid a happy community and Parliament the showcase of what an Alternative Party can do. Walking like a cock, is premature. Because it won only 1 GRC. Significant. Yet insignificant.

Mr Low is different from Mr Chiam, he does not let his family contest in elections and they most probably only help him in organising grassroots events. HE has a good succession plan and he does allow his young members to run the show. Mr Chiam however is seen to be keeping within his inner circle of people and he don;t have a clear succession plan.

cheekenpie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ptader has a point.

PAP was also once the Opposition party of choice.

WP leaders are still ok cos its early days. The most arrogant are the WP supporters!!

They behave like Man United supporters, look down on other teams.

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Ptader has a point.

PAP was also once the Opposition party of choice.

WP leaders are still ok cos its early days. The most arrogant are the WP supporters!!

They behave like Man United supporters, look down on other teams.

ummmm yeah :(

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
Digging up old skeletons

That is what Ptader is good at. Digging up old shit and trying to show something which is unrelated.

he claim he use to dislike SDP because of their arrogance in victory and yet now he support SDP's arrogance in defeat. Real weird logic.

BTW, SDP is not WP and vice verses. SDP has always been a loose cannon whereas WP had always been a tight ship. Chances of situation that took place in SDP to repeat in WP would be hard to come by, unless someone is doing some manipulation for his own gain.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
BTW, SDP is not WP and vice verses. SDP has always been a loose cannon whereas WP had always been a tight ship. Chances of situation that took place in SDP to repeat in WP would be hard to come by, unless someone is doing some manipulation for his own gain.

If SDP had not engaged in civil disobedience but instead got their act together after 2006 and begun walking the ground, today HBT and Sembawang would have been over 40%.

Its a pity Dr Chee only saw the light in 2010 when he realised the tide was turning in favour of the opposition and SDP had to quickly catch up in terms of VOTE COUNT.

Its quite sad actually. SDP is a party ahead of its time in terms of ideas, vision. But its strategy is out of sync with the electorate. It actually knows what Singapore needs in terms of real changes, but it screws up its tactics.