• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The tragic tale of how a startup folded barely even before it began

Johnrambo

Alfrescian
Loyal
My little bar is (or rather was) located at 29 Dalhousie Lane, on the outskirts of Little India and within proximity of Rochor MRT station. My younger brother, sister, alongside two other close friends of mine were the founding members of this bar. All of us are still full-time university students, except for my sister who is still awaiting her ‘A’-Level results.

We had saved up for approximately 2 years, collectively, as well as taken up significant loans from our parents to fund the bar's startup costs, which totaled nearly S$180,000. Happily, and filled with naïve idealism, we opened our doors on 6 May 2021, amidst what seemed like a hopeful rebound towards an endemic “New Normalcy” as promised by the government. Our contractors even planned for 8-seaters within the bar itself, given that 8-pax dining was permitted back then.

First Closure

On the fourth day of our opening, we were slapped with a ten-day closure plus a S$1,000 fine, these owing to Safe Distancing Enforcement Officers having purportedly caught six diners gathered together, on the same day a new rule reducing dining limits to 5 pax per group was gazetted.

We had indeed broken the letter of the law through our negligence, nevertheless I regret the magnitude and harshness of its consequences being levied upon us, especially given our utter inexperience as first timer F&B entrepreneurs. I’m sure there are others like me out there, who, while admittedly concur that inexperience is inexcusable for non-compliance with existing regulations, would still very much appreciate the authorities cutting us some slack at their discretion instead of going the whole nine yards. Reluctantly, we accepted the punishments meted out and chose not to air our grievances.

Notably, this incident occurred 2 days prior to Minister Lawrence Wong announcing the implementation of Phase 2 Heightened Alert which banned dining-in altogether. The officers who dealt with us decided to only impose the closure order a day after P2HA was lifted, thus extending our “circuit-breaker” for another 10 days. Suffice to say this prolonged hellish experience severely drained our bank accounts, forcing us to cut back on part-time hires and personally taking on miscellaneous roles without pay.

More at https://shrtcô.de/WsEfHx

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They made several tragically stupid decisions :
1. go into F&B at a
2. shitty location
3. during a pandemic
4. while still studying. That is stupidity to the power of 4.

Last edited:

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Rental didn't kill them, COVID stupid ding dong flip flop rules which kept changing did the most damage to them.

Imagine you are running a bar. One day is 5 people dine in, the next day is completely not allowed only takeaways and shit. U think u can survive? Bar survive on takeaways meh?

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
They're naive. When you're young the impulse to give it a go, even when some pieces of the puzzle may not fit, is very strong.
They should start saving again and go overseas to start a new venture.

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
People open you open . People bet you bet. Stupid tam chia ter nao sinkies didn't learn from My uncle at all :cool: :rolleyes:

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
1. go into F&B at a
2. shitty location
3. during a pandemic
if their stupidity is level 1, even if it is power 4, it is still level 1
(1x1x1x1) = 1

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
People open you open . People bet you bet. Stupid tam chia ter nao sinkies didn't learn from My uncle at all :cool: :rolleyes:
People do you can do too but there is a but like my uncle did I.e People queue up at sg pool to give money BUT my uncle queue to take money. Fools get this in your fucking brains before it's too late :wink:

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
1. go into F&B at a
2. shitty location
3. during a pandemic
Did one famous chef said that the best way to destroy your enemy is to get him into F&B business.

1) Go into Cafe is OK, but bar? You got all sorts of drinking crappy customer and several license and rules to watch out
2) Shitskin location is not so bad, at least I believed rent is cheaper as compared to town area. I worked in that locaton before and I know there is draw for certain type of customers.

3) Pandemic, is a killer. The young turtles have toyed with the pretention of oversight to maximise customer counts. No excuse for that.
4) They are youngsters who probably love drinking themselves, decided that they wanted to turn passion into business without any experiences nor research. Drinking alcohol at midnight by boss is considered acceptable? These young folks thought the law can be selectively applied and negotiated.

Bottom line. They failed in their financial and contingency planning. They should at least start working as barista from someone successful in similar trade and built themself up to manager level before deciding it is viable to start a business.