• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Survival Thread

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
With the doom and gloom happening all over the world, with the economy going south and a possible WW3, I am opening this thread for valuable contributions from members what they feel can help us survive.

My take on this is not to spend on unnecessary items, and stock up on basic essentials like rice, salt and sugar. Do not put all your spare cash in banks, but keep them at home. With 1% interest rate plus bank charges, it is not worth keeping them in banks. Get necessary items like canned foods, packet noodles, spare batteries, a radio if possible, backpack, water and whatever can be useful. Any suggestions?

TheFootballer

Alfrescian
Loyal
duno if applicable to singapore.. but I keep 2 evac packs.. filled with simple first aid stuff, medicine, flash light, sneaker bars and few bottled water. For cases like flood, earthquake or other disaster. One put in the car and One at home. My allocated carpark is 6 storey basement and its common for us to secure it with fence and keep things inside. I use mine as a storage facility and also as evac plan.
I think in Singapore.. MRTs are supposed to be shelters in case of emergency rite? I see so many new stations around..

I saw a documentary about US building underground apartments that can self sustain for 3-5 years with no problem. It was kept a secret until many are buying it.. Not cheap.. I think a small unit cost 3 million +

Last edited:

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is good you are quite prepared. I will keep a list of items I still need to have but it will be a short list. I have 2 properties overseas, one a small double storey and another which is raw land. I had the intentions to leave before my son acquires his NRIC to avoid NS. The way things are moving, SHTF is due earlier than that.:( If the FIAT money system fails, being able to grow your own food is best. I have been studying aquaculture a few months ago so as to acquire some knowledge about farming.

TheFootballer

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is good you are quite prepared. I will keep a list of items I still need to have but it will be a short list. I have 2 properties overseas, one a small double storey and another which is raw land. I had the intentions to leave before my son acquires his NRIC to avoid NS. The way things are moving, SHTF is due earlier than that.:( If the FIAT money system fails, being able to grow your own food is best. I have been studying aquaculture a few months ago so as to acquire some knowledge about farming.

After all the freak nature disasters these couple of years, I learnt anything can happen. Christchurch was brought down to its knees, Japan devestated,Asean flooded and even mighty America getting its share of freakish east coast quakes. Need to self rely rather then wait on the govt. Esp areas where its "impossible", the govt will be ill-prepared.
good thing you bought land.. Even if nothing happens, the next few decades problem will be over-population related.....
I saw this documentary on "seeds inventory safe".. where all the seeds in the world are being deposited at antartica in case of war or disaster.. You got your seeds ready?:biggrin:

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My land is pure raw land although I did pay to have a piped sunk 6 metres and fitted with a hand pump as there is no piped water and it is by a large stream. Never had plans to develop it further until such time as I migrate. Not necessary for seeds as the place has many farmers that can sell to me if I wish to buy. Have not really gone into depth what vegetables I want to have. I might have to go there next year and look it over and make concrete plans. I have a rented house in Kota Wisata Indonesia but it is not occupied unless I am there. My brother is looking after the place for me as he lives in Indonesia.

TheFootballer

Alfrescian
Loyal
My land is pure raw land although I did pay to have a piped sunk 6 metres and fitted with a hand pump as there is no piped water and it is by a large stream. Never had plans to develop it further until such time as I migrate. Not necessary for seeds as the place has many farmers that can sell to me if I wish to buy. Have not really gone into depth what vegetables I want to have. I might have to go there next year and look it over and make concrete plans. I have a rented house in Kota Wisata Indonesia but it is not occupied unless I am there. My brother is looking after the place for me as he lives in Indonesia.

Why not get a relative or the local to do some agriculture development there... i go no knowledge in this area but from what I seen, its fast becoming popular as a retirement option. Or doomsday preparation..lol... the latter is the reason why i got tons of mortgages and liabilities.. :biggrin::biggrin: else I would look for 1 too...
The "organic" industry is taking pace now....

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why not get a relative or the local to do some agriculture development there... i go no knowledge in this area but from what I seen, its fast becoming popular as a retirement option. Or doomsday preparation..lol... the latter is the reason why i got tons of mortgages and liabilities.. :biggrin::biggrin: else I would look for 1 too...
The "organic" industry is taking pace now....

When it comes to foreign relatives, they are not very reliable. It is hard to trust non-Singaporean relatives.

vanad

Alfrescian
Loyal
If the fall is so bad that the food supply chain is disrupted or heavily compromised, other essentials may not be available. Without electricity and fuel, it will only be subsistence farming and it will be challenging. Some of the things from early 20th centuryl such as blacksmithing and food preservation techniques, will be useful.

TheFootballer

Alfrescian
Loyal
When it comes to foreign relatives, they are not very reliable. It is hard to trust non-Singaporean relatives.

lol..:biggrin:
If you pay them only when the job is done.. dun really need to trust anyone..
We sound like preparing for re-building after armegaddon... First..Need to survive it..

Evac pack - Checked
Evac plan - Checked
Evac team?

Who to call for help?