• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The standard of English in Singapore - What do you think?

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
At A Level, English literature is English. Common English is General Paper.
At O Level, if it's scrapped, how to cope with English at A Level?

ah Ram...mai hantum.
At O level, it is definitely not compulsory....how do i know?
because my brother just took O level.......

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow, I did not realise they scrapped English Lit. That is indeed scary. Explains why we can't compete with FT when everything in this country is English.

At A Level, English literature is English. Common English is General Paper.
At O Level, if it's scrapped, how to cope with English at A Level?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ah Ram...mai hantum.
At O level, it is definitely not compulsory....how do i know?
because my brother just took O level.......

Your brother just took O level, then you just took PSLE? :biggrin:

(PSLE = Please Stop Learning English :eek:)

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow, I did not realise they scrapped English Lit. That is indeed scary. Explains why we can't compete with FT when everything in this country is English.

No can do. Leaving another trace of your real identity. No grandchildren? Or is that a rope a dope?:biggrin:

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal

scroobal....literature in upper secondary has not been compulsory since the early 70s. After sec 2, u were streamed to arts or science.
For science stream, it was not a compulsory subject for O level.
However, English Language is a compulsory subject for both streams.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

It's real sad that even English is following the path of Chinese in Singapore education. Chinese literature was scrapped long ago, except for a few SAP schools allowed a Higher Chinese syllabus that includes Chinese literature.

I can't imagine a country that's supposed to be run on English but with few or none having any clue who wrote "to be or not to be, that's question."

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
I can't imagine a country that's supposed to be run on English but with few or none having any clue who wrote "to be or not to be, that's [sic] question."

It was right at the top of my head for just a few moments....something to do with masturbatory movements.....uummmm....I give up!:biggrin:

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
He must be damn pissed with the system. All the officers wayang-ing.

So if he becomes PM, will this become the next North Korea? Law by law, regiment by regiment?:o

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for the clarification.
scroobal....literature in upper secondary has not been compulsory since the early 70s. After sec 2, u were streamed to arts or science.
For science stream, it was not a compulsory subject for O level.
However, English Language is a compulsory subject for both streams.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
He is now the AG and the only difference between him and the other author was that the former spent his formative years of schooling in NZ.

NZ is no better. Grammar is no longer taught in schools and neither is punctuation. I've seen articles in the NZ Herald riddled with contorted sentence structure and grammatical errors.

Good English is the exception rather than the rule. The attitude of the bleeding liberal Clark govt that ruled for 9 long years hasn't helped.

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/New_Zealand_students_able_to_use_txt_language_in_exams

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
he is the dragon prince, standard of english in sg will be adjusted to make him look perfect.

pap style of doing things

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's sad. A good command of any language is wonderful thing as putting together the right words can be poetic and an art to be appreciated.

NZ is no better. Grammar is no longer taught in schools and neither is punctuation. I've seen articles in the NZ Herald riddled with contorted sentence structure and grammatical errors.

Good English is the exception rather than the rule. The attitude of the bleeding liberal Clark govt that ruled for 9 long years hasn't helped.

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/New_Zealand_students_able_to_use_txt_language_in_exams

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Good English is the exception rather than the rule. The attitude of the bleeding liberal Clark govt that ruled for 9 long years hasn't helped ...
ya, man! ...

evrybody else's is sh*t! ...

oni leongsam's england is bestest! ... :rolleyes: :oIo:

loloba

Alfrescian
Loyal
"And' are used more than 15 times in the begining in the Bible - see Relevation. When bible says so, it is OK. Remind you that Bible is Word of God and when God use it everyone can follow. Angmoh God is always right .... hehehe

The original text in the bible was written in Hebrews and Greeks.
What has 'and' got to do with english translation of the Bible

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
I find it perfectly alright to begin a sentence with a conjunction. But the pretext and context should be there. In grammatically rigid sentence structuring, the use of conjunction and punctuation can make a formal sentence run as long as a paragraph before it finally ends with a period. It's not reader friendly and better off to be broken up into a few shorter sentences.