• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The RETIREMENT thread

learninsin

Retirement - what does it mean?

In my books, retirement isn't doing nothing. It's doing what you want to do rather than because you have to earn a living performing a task which may or may not bring you any satisfaction.

In order to do as you please, (within the boundaries of the law of course) rather than what you are being paid to do, you first need to achieve financial independence. This term causes much confusion too. I take it to mean what it says... ie that you no longer have to depend upon regular employment in order to fund your lifestyle. You are independent of others and are not beholden to any organisation or person when it comes to money.

Everyone is different so there's no fixed threshold that defines what financial independence is. What's enough for me may well be far too little for you. More of that later.

How is financial independence achieved?

1. Saving as much as possible with the hope of achieving your goal. (very difficult to achieve in this day and age)

2. A combination of saving and investing in the enterprises owned by other people. (better than just saving but not ideal)

3. Investing in yourself and creating wealth on your own. (The best method of all and in my opinion, less risky than investing in 3rd parties)
Totally agree with ya. Any tips on high potential industries to focus in the next 3-5 years?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Totally agree with ya. Any tips on high potential industries to focus in the next 3-5 years?

I'm out of touch. I've been retired too long to be up to date on the latest trends. You have to ask the Millennials not an OK Boomer.

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
One retirement tip - look out for the brand of car this fella drives. Leongsam will like it.

Datingafter35

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nothing but the best!

Hi. I would like to ask you about your opinion in holding on to US airlines stock. Correct me if I'm wrong. You did bought NZ airlines? I have a small stake in DAL because Warren Buffet invested. Recent AGM reveal that he is now all out of airlines shares.

Should I too swallow my pride and take my losses?

Regards

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Hi. I would like to ask you about your opinion in holding on to US airlines stock. Correct me if I'm wrong. You did bought NZ airlines? I have a small stake in DAL because Warren Buffet invested. Recent AGM reveal that he is now all out of airlines shares.

Should I too swallow my pride and take my losses?

Regards

I bought Air New Zealand because it is 51% owned by the NZ government so there is no way it can go bankrupt.

DAL may be a different story altogether but I am no expert and Warren Buffet certainly is a lot better at investing than I am.

Taking losses is fine if you can then use the money to buy something else which should help your recover your losses and then some.

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you had bought delta people already sold off after that one burst. Why follow buffet? He has money to wait . Do you? Before this twitter was the fast break

kulgai

Alfrescian
Loyal
This girl will be my ideal soulmate - day trader, straight talking, pole dancing lesbian, frugal and drives the most reliable car in the world ...

Actually day trading is a very stressful and risky job. Might as well buy some crypto coins, sit back and watch it explode within a few years. She would be able to retire in no time.

bart12

Alfrescian
Loyal
154225864_10157853121597050_5728555468383002459_n.jpg

Eisenhut

Alfrescian
Loyal
What you guys think of setting up another family far away from Singapore? Like in europe , South america and usa?

While local family don't know. Its a genetic inclination for men to spread seed right?

bart12

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://blog.seedly.sg/retirement-planning-age-income-sources/

This study looked into Singaporeans’ views towards retirement, and it surveyed 1,000 Singaporeans who were aged 21 and above, with minimum monthly incomes of S$3,000 and owned some form of investment.

Some key findings by the study include attitude shifts towards the idea of retirement, and the expectations of top retirement income sources.

1623256240618.png

1623256273813.png

Age That Singaporeans Think They Can Retire At​

1623256306320.png

How Much Singaporeans Think They Need for Retirement​

1623256340583.png

Top Singaporean Retirement Income Sources​

1623256364632.png

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Retirement is over rated.

Don't think so much. Just accept that you work till you die. Problem solved.

Got work got money right?

The best retirement plan is to NEVER retire. Work till you die. Seriously.

bart12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Retirement is over rated.

Don't think so much. Just accept that you work till you die. Problem solved.

Got work got money right?

The best retirement plan is to NEVER retire. Work till you die. Seriously.
Why work when one has enough dividend ,cash to do SWR and properties to rent ? Unless you consider managing these passive income as work