• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The RETIREMENT thread

contangee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for all the response, couple of things I did not think of - the crowding, noise,...and the general lack of quality of life. Some of it will be mitigated because I will be retiring, or taking a low stress job if I wanted to work.

Part of the appeal in returning to SG is that I still have lots of friends and family. I agree, most will not have time to meet up regularly, especially if you I am there permanently. I remember on my last visit, a friend of mine canceled our lunch meet up because she wanted to go to her Zuma class. It will be an early retirement so even if I have lots of time, most of my friends will still be busy with work.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Thanks for all the response, couple of things I did not think of - the crowding, noise,...and the general lack of quality of life. Some of it will be mitigated because I will be retiring, or taking a low stress job if I wanted to work.

It won't be mitigated because even if you're retired, you still have to interact socially in public. You'll still have to experience poor service, rude people, lack of breathing space at popular entertainment spots and so on.

Unless you can isolate yourself in a bubble which is possible if you're a multi millionaire and don't have to mingle with the masses, I predict your retirement in Singapore will not be very pleasant.

It would be better if friends and family visit you periodically instead. It's something to look forward to.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi Johnny, Agree. Times have changed.

Decades back, I can eke out a living by selling music CDs although no jazz versions.:o

Nowadays even hawkers selling chicken rice sellers are struggling. I've seen at least 3 of them in food courts inside shopping malls closing shop. High rentals are killing Sporean businesses.

contangee

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are few part time jobs available for older Sporeans because employers can easily employ cheap young foreigners.

Lucky for me, I should be able to take on some consulting jobs if I want to so no need to complete with cheap foreigners. For a short period 20+ years, while I was in Singapore, I used to man a pasir malan store selling baby clothes, which was poorly paid but enjoyable. It was fun chit chatting with fellow vendors during slow periods and get to meet a lot of tourists. May be I will do something like that, just to help pay bills and meet new people.

contangee

Alfrescian
Loyal
It won't be mitigated because even if you're retired, you still have to interact socially in public. You'll still have to experience poor service, rude people, lack of breathing space at popular entertainment spots and so on.

Unless you can isolate yourself in a bubble which is possible if you're a multi millionaire and don't have to mingle with the masses, I predict your retirement in Singapore will not be very pleasant.

It would be better if friends and family visit you periodically instead. It's something to look forward to.

Unfortunately, I had no luck getting friends and relatives to visit other than my direct family. I agree with your assessment about it not going to be a successful retirement, though things like poor service and lack of space does not bother me that much (at least I think it wouldn't). Financially I am ok but I am definitely not planning to isolate myself from the masses if I go back. Retiring to Msia or Thailand has been on my mind, both are cheap, slower pace of life and an easy short flight away from Singapore, though I will have to get used to living in 3rd world. I can also retire in the US and go back for multi month visit which is probably what I will end up doing.

STUCK_HERE

Alfrescian
Loyal
You got to be kidding. You will be terribly lonely here. There's nobody to talk to. Everybody is very defensive and putting on a show. I rather be in the USA where everybody is upfront. You just have to steer clear of the guns.
Is it because of family? They are not worth it. Are you the very close type?
I've been out of Singapore for too long and have been thinking about retiring in a couple of years back to SG. I am curious about what Johnny333 and other think. Is it possible to live a simple life in Singapore? Here in Texas, lots of simple thing to enjoy, walk in the park, BBQ with friends, fishing, and even laze around the house playing video games. I think it is going to be harder with the social pressure in SG.

Last edited:

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
You got to be kidding. You will be terribly lonely here. There's nobody to talk to. Everybody is very defensive and putting on a show. I rather be in the USA where everybody is upfront. You just have to steer clear of the guns.
Is it because of family? They are not worth it. Are you the very close type?

Not true leh. Look at how all the uncles spend hours daily mingling freely at the HDB void deck. What lonely? There is plenty of job available for old folks like wiping glass at Changi airport, cleaners at coffeeshop, etc. Unfortunately people here dont believe in paying for "consulting service" because every jobless Tom Dick n Harry call themselves consultants... also Sinkies are world reknown for being cheapo and only want free consulting service.

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not true leh. Look at how all the uncles spend hours daily mingling freely at the HDB void deck. What lonely? There is plenty of job available for old folks like wiping glass at Changi airport, cleaners at coffeeshop, etc. Unfortunately people here dont believe in paying for "consulting service" because every jobless Tom Dick n Harry call themselves consultants... also Sinkies are world reknown for being cheapo and only want free consulting service.

Agree. It is especially so when it starts raining in April.:o

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you are still slogging like a slave it is not retirement. If you think dying at work like our office cleaner is a good end by all means. Only a madman will want to retire in sinkieland. you are spending at the same level as the working class. my advice is to sort out your daily routine and hobbies first. many of the old slaves here dont even know what to do in their free time. they will certainly get dementia very quickly

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you are still slogging like a slave it is not retirement. If you think dying at work like our office cleaner is a good end by all means. Only a madman will want to retire in sinkieland. you are spending at the same level as the working class. my advice is to sort out your daily routine and hobbies first. many of the old slaves here dont even know what to do in their free time. they will certainly get dementia very quickly

Agree. First and foremost they need to have afternoon delights to fill their days.:p

STUCK_HERE

Alfrescian
Loyal
After I retired my medical problems are gone. My fucking boss and shithole staff are gone forever. I swim everyday when there's no lightning and spread out all my activities. I never have 2 appointments a day. Weekends I get away from the home by working at a part time job.

Last edited:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
After I retired my medical problems are gone. My fucking boss and shithole staff are gone forever. I swim everyday when there's no lightning and spread out all my activities. I never have 2 appointments a day. Weekends I get away from the home by working at a part time job.

sounds like a very healthy and relax retirement. good to know that.