• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The PAP Rally that united Singaporeans as one

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
[video=youtube_share;bcVmiFl7Slg]https://youtu.be/bcVmiFl7Slg[/video]

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/if-you-believe-in-me/2111534.html

SINGAPORE: Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong on Tuesday (Sep 8) called on Singaporeans to support him and all his People’s Action Party (PAP) candidates, and called “perverse” the Opposition’s argument that they should vote against the Government so that it would work harder.

“To produce results for you, I need the right team to work with me, to work with you and for Singapore,” he said in a rousing speech under the hot sun at the party’s lunch-time rally outside UOB Plaza.

“I need that support not just in Ang Mo Kio GRC … I need that support from all of you all over Singapore,” he said, whether it be West Coast or East Coast GRC, MacPherson or Bukit Panjang SMC.

“The candidate standing there is standing on behalf of the PAP. So by voting for him, you’re voting for me, my team, my programme, my promise. And my promise is, we’ll work with you to make Singapore better for you and for your children.”

The Opposition’s formula doesn’t make sense, Mr Lee said. “They say, ‘if the Government did a good job it’s because you voted for the Opposition. So, vote for the Opposition and the Government will work harder. Doesn’t matter if Opposition is not doing the work.’ What sort of politics is that?” he asked.

“It’s perverse, it’s upside down, you confuse yourself. You mess things up, you weaken the team, you end up with outcomes you don’t want, an Opposition which is strengthened but incapable,” said Mr Lee, who is the PAP's secretary-general.

“Actually, the argument is the other way around,” he said. “The Opposition is not working hard enough. They make a mess of things, they’re not active enough in Parliament, they’re not talking much sense – vote PAP to make the Opposition work harder!” he added, to the roar of the crowd.

PAP NOT BOSSES BUT STEWARDS OF SINGAPORE: PM

The Prime Minister recounted his first speech at the Fullerton Square rally venue nearby in 1984 – his first General Election.

“Every election since then I’ve been back. Why do I do this? Because I’m convinced each person can make a difference. Because I think I can help and I think if I don’t step up, it doesn’t mean someone will stand up and the problem will be solved, I can go home,” he said, on why he said ‘yes’ when Mr Goh Chok Tong asked him to join politics back then.

That same sense of duty to improve the lives of Singaporeans, he added, was also why 10 years after stepping down as Prime Minister, Mr Goh was still serving, “supporting us, rooting for Singapore”, said Mr Lee.

He added: “We are not the bosses of Singapore, we are not the commanders or owners of Singapore. We are the trustees and stewards of Singapore – we are like the jaga (Malay for guard).”

Evoking the spirit of founding Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew a few times in his speech, Mr Lee reminded the crowd how 35 years ago, the late Mr Lee stood at the Fullerton Square rally in a downpour and said: “Whoever governs Singapore must have that iron in him, or give it up! This is not a game of cards! This is your life and mine! I spent a whole lifetime building this, and as long as I am in charge, nobody will knock it down.”

Said PM Lee: “Mr Lee is gone, but that spirit must continue in Singapore. That iron must be inside our hearts. And as long as the PAP is in charge, nobody should be knocking this down.

“And that’s why I’m in politics, So if you believe in me – if you believe that together, we can make tomorrow better than today - please support me and my PAP team.”

IF WP BECOMES THE GOVT, “FINISHED”: PM

The Prime Minister also criticised WP candidate Png Eng Huat’s comments the civil service could run the country fine regardless of the Government. “He says don’t worry, look at Thailand, they have military coups, they’re okay, what,” said Mr Lee.

“If that is the WP’s measure of good politics and success, if ever the WP becomes the Government of Singapore, then I say, ‘liao’ – finished,” he declared.

“And make no mistake about it, they aspire to be the Government. Why should they not?,” he added. “But we are entitled to ask, what are you capable of?”

“Don’t go and write soft words in your manifesto and say you don’t aspire to be the Government – but you tell people, ‘one day I’ll be the Government, just give me a chance’.”

For the system to work, Mr Lee said, good leaders are needed.

He reiterated his concern that he and his team were growing older, and the needed to reinforce the nucleus of the next-generation team, the comprising younger ministers. “This election I’m adding more … Ng Chee Meng, Ong Ye Kung, Chee Hong Tat and many others”, he said.

“We need a deep bench, we need the best possible team for Singapore. Not an Opposition that says it is not ready to form the Government, but never mind just vote for me, you are buying insurance,” he said, referring to WP chairman Sylvia Lim's words at a recent rally.

“Insurance is good, but you must buy the right insurance from the right company,” Mr Lee said, citing NTUC Income and MediShield Life which is backed by the Government.

“But if your insurance company is an opposition party, no track record - or worse, don’t know how to handle money, not interested in you, it only wants your commission - then you pay your premium now, you feel okay, but one day you run in trouble and you look for the insurance company to pay out – then, you know you’re in trouble,” he said.

ON KEEPING THE SYSTEM CLEAN

Reiterating that Singapore would need to get its politics right in order to succeed, Mr Lee said it was important for people in politics to be clean and honest, and for voters to be able to tell the difference.

“I was very surprised to hear Dr Chee Soon Juan here yesterday on this spot say: ‘Reputation is temporary, but character is permanent’. I agree. Of all people, Dr Chee should know character is permanent, doesn’t change,” he said, referring to the chief of the Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) which held its lunchtime rally on Monday.

He evoked the late Mr Lee’s brief words on his 90th birthday celebrated at Parliament House: “Keep our system clean.”

Said PM Lee: “These are the PAP’s standards, and these also have to be the Opposition’s standards. Just because you don’t wear white, doesn’t mean you needn’t be white.”

“You may be running the Government, a ministry, a statutory board, a town council, doesn’t matter. Whatever level you are, uphold high standards and keep it clean, and don’t say, ‘I didn’t’ go to jail I’m okay’.”

DON’T WRITE CHEQUES OUR CHILDREN MUST PAY: PM

Mr Lee also emphasised Singapore’s politics should take care of its people not just for today, but also tomorrow.

“I write checks, tomorrow someone else can pay – anybody can do that. But if I want to worry about tomorrow also, then I have to trade off sacrifice, plan and work hard. And actually only the PAP does this,” he said. “For the Opposition parties, tomorrow is after the GE. Worry later.”

There have been many ideas from the opposition parties, Mr Lee, noted, ranging from free health care to S$300-handouts for the old and the young; plus “a minimum wage, and if it means unemployment, never mind, give money for unemployed also”.

Ask for who would pay for all this, Mr Lee said their argument is: “Companies can pay, rich people can pay, and if this is not enough the reserves got money, hundreds of billions of dollars, wah!”

He cited a Chinese proverb which means “sit there and eat corn, one day the mountain is gone and you will starve”.

“If it’s so simple, why do you think the PAP is not doing all this? We are so stupid?” Mr Lee said. “Certainly we would be more popular, and the Opposition would have fewer subjects to make speeches. But would we have built this Singapore? Would we have the toughness to continue to fight for Singaporeans and our children’s future?”

Mr Lee concluded: “So I ask for your trust, your support, your mandate. Vote for what you believe in, vote for the candidate you trust, vote for the party which has never let you down. We will work and fight for Singapore.”